Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page any ideas on how to hang foam boards on a wall without framing them or ruining them?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.07.2013, 03:30 PM   #61
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
i just looked in this thread for the first time since you maybe first put it up, and i was thinking "have they not figured out how to hang foam boards on fucking wall yet??? "are people still suggesting ways to do it?" but am i am happy i looked because the art is awesome. keep up the good work sir!

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2014, 08:04 AM   #62
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
is a foam board a solution to what i want to do?
if i have works on paper, on what can i glue them without ruining them, for them to be as if on canvas? i want them to have a thick surface underneath.

and/or, since i havent understood well what a foam board is, do those come with a paper surface attached, on which i can do the works originally?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_board
still sort of meh
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2014, 09:06 AM   #63
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
is a foam board a solution to what i want to do?
if i have works on paper, on what can i glue them without ruining them, for them to be as if on canvas? i want them to have a thick surface underneath.

and/or, since i havent understood well what a foam board is, do those come with a paper surface attached, on which i can do the works originally?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_board
still sort of meh

Foamcore or foam boards are the same thing. I've done something similar to what you're describing above with this.

The surface of the board has a smooth surface ideal for drawing on it, but not so much if you intend to use it for painting. If I understood right, you want to glue a drawing/painting on the board, and then perhaps cut its shape around with a Stanley knife so the that it gains a thick layer underneath?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2014, 09:26 AM   #64
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
my love.

basically it has to do with (new) works on paper- materials i will use is charcoal, ink but also some acrylic or house paint in parts.
so it would ideal for them to have paper on one surface (costly though i assume and risky if it turns out crap).
what you describe is fine for what i want to do..

i also have these stuff that are already done on paper though -charcoal and acrylics- and i would like to glue (risky it might ruin the whole thing, no?) on the thick layer.
i mean if there was a way to glue without ruing, i would go for the new works on paper again- to avoid above risk or fearing to do crap and ruin the costly board.

i will ask art supplies stores with the english name, hope they know what i mean.
Old 04.09.2014, 10:44 AM   #65
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
my love.

basically it has to do with (new) works on paper- materials i will use is charcoal, ink but also some acrylic or house paint in parts.
so it would ideal for them to have paper on one surface (costly though i assume and risky if it turns out crap).
what you describe is fine for what i want to do..

i also have these stuff that are already done on paper though -charcoal and acrylics- and i would like to glue (risky it might ruin the whole thing, no?) on the thick layer.
i mean if there was a way to glue without ruing, i would go for the new works on paper again- to avoid above risk or fearing to do crap and ruin the costly board.

i will ask art supplies stores with the english name, hope they know what i mean.

the boards themselves aren't really expensive, depending on the size you buy. they are lightweight and made of polystyrene. They are often used for matting pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG3i-9PrM2g
Old 04.10.2014, 02:04 AM   #66
Nefeli
invito al cielo

thank you!
im sure now of what it is, just dunno the greek word for it but i can describe it better to art supply people.
Old 04.10.2014, 12:26 PM   #67
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
They don't have paper on them, if you want to draw on them you'd need to use a permanent marker.
If you want to draw straight on to something harder than paper you could try mount board.
Probably the easiest thing to do though is draw on paper and stick it to some foam board using mount spray.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2014, 02:44 PM   #68
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

You can draw with a pen on a foamboard, just not with a pencil. Or maybe depending on the quality of the pencil and how sharp it is you can use it to draw on it but it's not going to be a pleasant experience and you risk damaging the surface.
Old 04.10.2014, 02:53 PM   #69
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i hope you're using acid-free boards! the non-archival kind turn to brittle crap after a few years.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2014, 03:34 PM   #70
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

They also bend if you don't protect them from the heat.
Old 04.11.2014, 03:58 AM   #71
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
They don't have paper on them, if you want to draw on them you'd need to use a permanent marker.
If you want to draw straight on to something harder than paper you could try mount board.
Probably the easiest thing to do though is draw on paper and stick it to some foam board using mount spray.

mount board/ stick on foam board using mount spray. noted. thank you!

i found some foam boards - had seen before..
they are sort of expensive and i cant work on the surface they have. yep.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth