Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Good stuff to listen to if you can get BBC iPlayer!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
That Ornette show was the dullest thing I've listened to in a long, long time. And yet I sat through the whole thing. Is the Brél one really worth listening to? Only I'm a bit sceptical of Almond's involvement.

Lots of stuff about the overlooked (by me at least, until this week) Wolfgang Rihm (no sniggering at the back).

The essay tonight is about everyone's favourite post-structuralist deconstruction denier, little Jacky Derrida.

World routes was in Poland this week. There's some really very good Polish fiddling on there at some point, but not perhaps the most scintillating show ever. There's loads of archived World Routes programmes, I really can't recommend that programme enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't include any world music because I thought the lack of any interest in my RIP Charlie Gillett thread was indicative of the lack of interest in world music generally.

Also worth listening to Late Junction when Verity Sharpe is doing it. This one has some pretty great stuff on it.

Not sure about the Brel programme but worth a go and I haven't listened to the Ornette Coleman one yet. Dull because of the music or the way it's presented. I could easily live without it to be honest.

I trawl through iPlayer every now and then. I've just worked my way through the music category so far.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
This might interest some people.
Wild Billy Childish.
Old 03.23.2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know who Charlie Gillett is. I think that's part of the problem with world music - there's a lot of it. I've been listening to too much Haifa Wehbe lately, but I can't imagine many people here would be interested.

The Coleman programme is pretty much a précis - a cursory mention of harmelodics, some excerpts from interviews, a little on the background to free jazz, excerpts from a few songs. I'm not a huge Coleman fan, and it really didn't tell me anything I don't know already. I tend to find that with their coverage of jazz - unlike, say, composer of the week, they seem to still be struggling with getting any depth.

Having said that, the Takayanagi programme was great. Weirdly, I ended up chatting to John Russell (who did a lot of the talking) when he played Bristol the week after, mentioned the programme, and he goes 'yeah, that was me talking' (or words to that affect).

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 03.23.2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I don't know who Charlie Gillett is. I think that's part of the problem with world music - there's a lot of it. I've been listening to too much Haifa Wehbe lately, but I can't imagine many people here would be interested.
Gillett was a music journalist; had his first radio show in 1972; in 1983 started his radio show A Foreign Affair - the first (?) show in this country devoted to 'world music'; had been the leading force in promoting world music ever since.

And I agree that Radio 3 doesn't do jazz very well. They are to jazz what Classic FM is to classical music. But there is the odd gem like the Takayanagi programme.
Old 03.23.2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I've been listening to too much Haifa Wehbe lately, but I can't imagine many people here would be interested.
I can think of some people who might be.

Old 03.23.2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

It's almost a shame that she's the most beautiful person imaginable, because her music's really good. I almost want to dislike people that beautiful.

Quote:
Old 03.24.2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the BBC did a program about masayuki takayanagi?!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the BBC did a program about masayuki takayanagi?!
It was one of Radio 3's jazz programmes. I can't remember which one. It had a session by Mary Halvorson in the first half and a feature about Takayanagi in the second.
Old 03.25.2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Pookie
invito al cielo

Thought I'd reached the bottom of the iPlayer barrel when this little gem floated to the top (of the barrel...or something) via thewire.co.uk/links.
Old 03.25.2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
nice, thanks
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 05:37 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00rqgdf

Khyam Allami - British Oud player - on world routes, playing and chatting about Iraqi/ Middle-Eastern music. Some lush and seemingly rare recordings played. Very good, but only up for a few more hours.

Edit: Khyam's improvisation around 55 minutes in is VERY FINE INDEED.

Quote:
Old 04.03.2010, 05:41 AM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Gillett was a music journalist; had his first radio show in 1972; in 1983 started his radio show A Foreign Affair - the first (?) show in this country devoted to 'world music'; had been the leading force in promoting world music ever since.

Oh, incidentally, reading back - I think you should bear in mind that I'm a bit older than a lot of people posting here, and I was only born in '82. YOU FILTHY OLD BASTARD.

Quote:
Old 04.03.2010, 05:52 AM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
160 arnold s. quotes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...ture=topvideos

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2010, 08:26 AM   #16
Pookie
invito al cielo

Polar Bear in concert

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth