Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2013, 11:20 PM   #961
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
SuchFriends, have you heard "Wolf"? the production is so dope. i wasn't feeling Tyler's lyrics for the most part, though.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2013, 11:43 PM   #962
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
new Cam'ron mixtape, wow - http://www.datpiff.com/Camron-Ghetto...pe.494468.html

edit: damn Cam fell off. i love Purple Haze but this is some hot garbage.
Old 10.02.2013, 06:29 AM   #963
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Event 2, Bitches!!!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 10:08 AM   #964
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
good comparsion. both are pretty good, forgettable albums. but one was shitted on and the other was hailed as a masterpiece. fucking critics.

honestly i used to stan Drake during the Take Care era. he was making music that i couldn't help but love. but i had to force myself to sit through NWTS, and after a few listens i have to admit this is nowhere as good.. ah well.

I think that neither are exactly a masterpiece, but MC Tree definitely shouldn't have been shitted on, though Sunday School I is better than When Church Lets Out, so I can see out some critics might have found it a let down in comparison. The production quality is better on II, but I is a better record.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 10:53 AM   #965
louder
invito al cielo

i was talking about "Magna Carta.." and "Nothing Was the Same" bro. Tree's mixtape is definitely better than both if you're asking me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Event 2, Bitches!!!
is it good??
Old 10.02.2013, 10:57 AM   #966
louder
invito al cielo

i need a new Mos (errr.. "Yasiin Bey") album in my life.

btw - after a couple of spins, i think that lyrically XXX is still better than Old.

honestly, Doris is the only album that came out this year that made me sit down and read all the lyrics and feel impressed.. but the music felt lazy at parts. i feel like Earl should rap better than that, can't help it.
Old 10.02.2013, 01:23 PM   #967
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
2013 BET Hip-Hop Awards Cyphers

Cypher 1: Wax, Rapsody, Emis Killa, Rittz, Jon Connor
Cypher 2: A$AP Mob: Ferg, Twelvy, Nast, Ant, Rocky
Cypher 3: Action Bronson, Star Life Breezy (Sprite Contest Winner),Travis $cott, Tiffany Foxx, Lil’ Kim
Cypher 4: Slaughterhouse: Joell Ortiz, Crooked I, Royce Da 5’9, Joe Budden
Cypher 5: TDE: ScHoolboy Q, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, Isaiah Rashad, Kendrick Lamar
Cypher 6: Real Husbands of Hollywood: Chocolate Drop (Kevin Hart), Nick Cannon, Nelly, Boris Kodjoe, Duane Martin, JB Smoove
Cypher 7: Asia Sparks, Bad Lucc, Problem, Astro

WOW! can't deny i'm excited as hell about the TDE + A$AP ones.

Slaughterhouse one should be interesting too. i'm not a fan or anything but those dudes can rap.

hold on.. Kevin Heart, Nick Cannon and Nelly?!???! hahaha what the fuck.

wish there was an OF cypher though.
Old 10.02.2013, 02:10 PM   #968
louder
invito al cielo

aight i'm gonna listen to "My Name Is My Name". my expectations are sky high. i pray Pusha is gonna deliver and save this year just like his mentor Yeezus aka our lord and savior.

EDIT: this is incredible so far! Pusha came through.
Old 10.02.2013, 08:06 PM   #969
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I've decided THIS is the signature track from PWOWR.. I read some reviews, Priest is to underground for mainstream, its not rap in the conventional sense, and its not jewelz in the hood sense, it is the middle centered by pure wisdom. I've listen to music by a lot of very wise men, who drop a lot of ancient wisdom on their records, but Killah Priest is on a war path against the Devil on this record..

If you're a hater of radiohead then its kanye, if your a hater of kanye then its the Kastz..

My vote is that radiohead=outkast but its an almost pretentious comparison, personally I think radiohead is radiohead and outkast it outkast. further, I don't think radiohead are as necesarily groundbreaking or genre defining as their critical acclaim, however, I also adore radiohead, period. As to Outkast, I would argue that they are indeed impacting to hip-hop in huge way, the way radiohead is said to have changed music. I can agree that Kanye West is big, but I don't know if influential or redefining is exactly appropriate in this case. There aren't a bunch of Kanye sounding rappers or beatz out there, he is original in that regard. However there is a difference between being big and being influential. I suppose in this regard, radiohead isn't influential either, there aren't exactly a dozen radiohead sounding bands out there over the past 20 years. I can't speak for British music though, dear God help us, Glice what do you say?

No offense, but you're way off on both accounts. There ARE a ton of Kanye-influenced rappers out there, retreading the new-wave-positive-tip soul sound Kanye's first two albums defined. In addition, there is a whole slew of rappers who are stepping on Post-Graduation Kanye's heels, trying to pull of genre melding game changing chart-topper concept albums and "fuck you" self makeovers.

Examples of the former:
J. Cole
TREE
Big Sean
Drake

Examples of the Latter:
Wale
Kendrick (only in terms of his scope broadening, and the fact that he undertook conscious concept hip hop album that was a major critical and commercial success)
Some other rappers ... Fuck I don't know. This takes more balls, so.. Y'know.)
Aaaand Drake!

Seriously though, everybody is benefitting from something Kanye's done. He brought rap out of its coma like a shot of narcan and adrenaline to an OD victim.

Also, there were tons of Radiohead lookalikes around the beginning of the 00's. Both in Britain and in America. In fact, there were so many of them that it was hard to keep track, and "Next Radiohead" became as common a speculation for new bands (usually bland, castrated, traditional rock, MOR douchebags more influenced by Bush's sound and Blur's look) as "Next Nirvana" was back in the 90's.

Remember Travis? Starsailor? Elbow? Muse? Granddaddy?
Coldplay? Yeah, that one should ring a bell.

Anyway, each was as forgettable as the last, and I've forgotten more than I remember. Radiohead hadn't even fully become Radiohead yet, and already we were looking for the "next" one.

Outkast has very few imitators as obvious as Kanye and Radiohead, but I think you're probably right that Outkast was to rap what Radiohead was to rock in the early '00s. Something new, even though both bands were already seasoned and in the middle-late eras of their respective careers.

Kanye comes from a slightly different timeline, and is different from both in that rather than expanding on a sound until it was unrecognizable and fresh, Kanye has been flipping 180's for three albums straight on his own, and peppering them with his side projects (Watch the throne, Cruel Summer). Radiohead and Outkast took their sounds to the sonic left, and then pushed them in that direction, but that's really only ONE sonic turnaround. Kanye's already been through three or four distinct and unique stages as an artist, each one a step into completely new territory.

Anyway...
Old 10.02.2013, 08:11 PM   #970
Severian
invito al cielo

Why ain't anyone discussing the new fucking Deltron album?

I have mixed feelings overall, but there are some insane moments, especially when played loud on headphones. Still, it's a bit heavy on comedy and skits and light on post-apocalyptic political allegory. And it is seriously missing the dramatic instrumentals and high profile, melancholy pop samples.

After two listens I definitely think Del's flow sounds amazing as always, but there are too many guest stars (Zach De La fuckin Rocha? Fuck no, thank you. I will never listen to that track all the way through) and the project has lost some of the original's surprisingly touching, human moments.

Btw: when did this become everyone's favorite hip hop album? I bought it the week it came out and I couldn't get it at Best Buy or any other retailer, so I had to make the rounds to the small shops. Finally I found it (one copy) at a great store that I still buy vinyl from, but I was the only one in my part of the metro area to give a fuck, and that was because Del was my then favorite emcee ever.

Then Kurt Loder said something about it on Mtv, using Damon Albarn and his "definitive" single verse as a selling point, and I think it got some play, but I had no idea it had become such a big freakin' deal. Maybe that made everyone nervous. I don't know.

You guys listen and tell me what you think.
Old 10.02.2013, 08:16 PM   #971
Severian
invito al cielo

Goddamn, MNIMN leaked? Or was it actually released? Shit, I've been searching for that every morning on TPB for weeks. Figure I'd miss the actual event.

That's one I am most definitely going to buy.

Pusha is the most promising GOOD artist, and I am looking forward to this album like crazy.
Old 10.02.2013, 11:56 PM   #972
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
OFWGKTA are so full of shit. wish they blow it out their ass and take a relief nap.

nobody is suckin their fucking dicks, ForGodSake. lame!!!!
apparently, becoming an Odd Future fanboy can change your whole lifestyle/everyday activities.

there are kids out there who try and dress just like Tyler, pick up skateboarding, start producing lo-fi synth beats, rap about nonsense like "yo fuck my dad/your mom/i like kittens/unicorns", etc. that's devotion.

they probably think that immitating a black skater dude boosts their confidence and helps them getting laid.

personally, rap music doesn't affect my social life at all. i'm too old for that shit, plus my surroundings don't care, it's just my own thing. even though i've converted a bunch of people into "hip-hop believers" before.

Quote:
Goddamn, MNIMN leaked? Or was it actually released? Shit, I've been searching for that every morning on TPB for weeks. Figure I'd miss the actual event.

That's one I am most definitely going to buy.

Pusha is the most promising GOOD artist, and I am looking forward to this album like crazy.
i'm going to buy it for sure. it's an album of the year contender. Pusha blessed us.
Old 10.03.2013, 02:50 AM   #973
louder
invito al cielo

Kendrick's BET cypher verse preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO4FJlExZUA

"Yeah.. and nothing’s been the same since they dropped 'Control'/ And tucked a sensitive rapper back in his Pajama Clothes/ Ha-ha jokes on you, high-five.. I'm bulletproof/ Your sh*ts a never penetrate, pin the tail on the donkey boy you been a fake".

oh shit.. Kendrick vs. Drake beef incoming.
Old 10.03.2013, 12:46 PM   #974
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No offense, but you're way off on both accounts. There ARE a ton of Kanye-influenced rappers out there, retreading the new-wave-positive-tip soul sound Kanye's first two albums defined. In addition, there is a whole slew of rappers who are stepping on Post-Graduation Kanye's heels, trying to pull of genre melding game changing chart-topper concept albums and "fuck you" self makeovers.

You're going to have to have these guys in quotes saying the were inspired or influenced by Kanye because (a) I don't necessarily hear it in their records and (b) there are plenty of other conscious/neo-soul rappers out there NOT names Kanye and not necessarily influenced by Kanye. You may have to separate yourself as a Kanye fan for this one. Just because other rappers are making innovative records, doesn't inherently mean its influenced or inspired by Kanye West and what Kanye's records are doing. You may be conflating his popularity and reach with actual substantive musical influence.

Quote:

Seriously though, everybody is benefitting from something Kanye's done. He brought rap out of its coma like a shot of narcan and adrenaline to an OD victim.

I disagree with you completely, rap was never in coma, rap was never in decline, and initially on this very thread Kanye fans have argued that Kanye isn't even a rapper!!! If anything, the fact that rap has been increasingly successful has been what has directly benefited Kanye West, not the other way around

Quote:

Outkast has very few imitators as obvious as Kanye and Radiohead, but I think you're probably right that Outkast was to rap what Radiohead was to rock in the early '00s. Something new, even though both bands were already seasoned and in the middle-late eras of their respective careers.

Outkast took huge risks in their sound, it could have backfired, they didn't care. Radiohead could have made a bunch of records that sounded like "Creep" or "OK Computer" and yet they didn't. I think that is how we can compare them, but not necessarily in regards to range of influence. I just don't buy into the critical assertions that radiohead is an "influential" band. They are a popular band, and have made some phenomenal records which I personally consider some of the best of all time, but just didn't hear a radiohead "sound" accept for possibly in between the "Creep" single and "OK Computer" when basically ALL British college/indie rock bands sounded like that. I wouldn't say they were all influenced by radiohead, if anything, radiohead was just going with the "sound" of their era until they made a radical departure with Kid A. I've never heard Muse or Coldplay really make that kind of artistic leap, all their records essentially sound the exact same (my sister is a muse freak, I dated a coldplay fan albeit reluctantly)..

Quote:

Kanye comes from a slightly different timeline, and is different from both in that rather than expanding on a sound until it was unrecognizable and fresh, Kanye has been flipping 180's for three albums straight on his own, and peppering them with his side projects (Watch the throne, Cruel Summer). Radiohead and Outkast took their sounds to the sonic left, and then pushed them in that direction, but that's really only ONE sonic turnaround. Kanye's already been through three or four distinct and unique stages as an artist, each one a step into completely new territory.

Anyway...

That maybe true, and I can agree that there are many rappers who want to look or sound like kanye, but I completely disagree with your premise that he revived or revolutionized rap music, rap music was fine without him, and if anything, he was revolutionized by it.

Old 10.03.2013, 01:20 PM   #975
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
you gotta have a mouthful of huge teeth to sound like Kanye
Old 10.03.2013, 01:24 PM   #976
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
too bad Kanye has absolutely nothing of relevance or worth to say.
Old 10.03.2013, 01:31 PM   #977
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

sex sells. Kanye just wants sales. He claims artistic intent but the end results are pure fluff aimed at making 13 year old white kids think they are hip.
Old 10.03.2013, 01:56 PM   #978
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Kendrick's BET cypher verse preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO4FJlExZUA

"Yeah.. and nothing’s been the same since they dropped 'Control'/ And tucked a sensitive rapper back in his Pajama Clothes/ Ha-ha jokes on you, high-five.. I'm bulletproof/ Your sh*ts a never penetrate, pin the tail on the donkey boy you been a fake".

oh shit.. Kendrick vs. Drake beef incoming.

Kendrick will win. He's going for the throat. His next album is going to sell like Tha Carter III, because he is just that obviously good.

Nothing against Drake, but NWT is a mix of perfectly pleasant but entirely ordinary boom-bapping and self promo over Yeezyesque soul samples, and completely unnecessary masturbatory whining, with some of the most lugubrious instrumentals in ages. It's half Jay/Ye and half pbr&b, really (as much as I hate that phrase).

Kendrick is coming like a freight train. He's got the "real"/genuine article "only rapper that matters" vibe down so completely that everyone else sounds pretentious next to his ass, yet he's the one who's really playing the feud scene up, and challenging other rappers. Still, he's gonna play underdog to Drake's Apolllo Creed (in Rocky II).

What the fuck?
Old 10.03.2013, 02:11 PM   #979
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

Kendrick is coming like a freight train. He's got the "real"/genuine article "only rapper that matters" vibe down so completely?

What sad for rap is this is true, but I don't think its true in the way you are asserting. True, there are plenty of conscious, substantive, and intelligent rappers and MCs out there, but they are not as relevant or mainstream. Its not the Fugees or Common were of rap like the late-1990s to early-2000s, we are in the hedonistic revival. Now, it would make Eazy E happy except for the fact that Eazy E was a sincere and genuine low-life, these ninjaz in rap today are strictly studio personas.. That whole "kenrdick diss" was the weakest shit I heard hyped in ten years. It was three lines, 25 seconds, and it wasn't even has as obnoxious as the shit talking on Odd Future records. Hit Em Up it wasn't, in fact, I had to listen to it three times to even see who was being supposedly dissed..

There isn't room for conscious rap in the mainstream, its why Killah Priest's record wasn't well received at all, even though its got 40 tracks and big names, but its to niche. Its why Kanye isn't even pretending to like he was with that Jesus Walks scheme, in Eddie Murphy terms Kanye and all the rap is out there, " "dick, swinging."

Old 10.03.2013, 03:54 PM   #980
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Now, THIS is a diss track http://youtu.be/tCVT7tqO-YA

Hit 'Em Up - 2Pac Shakur
464748 49 50515259 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth