Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Amazing bands that turned amzingly shit...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.30.2009, 08:52 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
The first that comes to mind is SPK. Jesus, they were incredible! The first three eps and "Information Overload Unit" are some of the best dada freeform electronics noise ever created, and with beats to boot! People called them industrial or post punk because there really wasn't any better term to describe them with. But SPK were the original in the lineage of bands that includes Runzilstern and Gurgelstock, Nautical Almanac, Rubber O Cement, Crank Sturgeon, and others. But damn, they then became a motherfuckind disco band? Not even a decent disco band with a couple catchy hits, but just iredeemable trash. Aklnos tarnishshes the SPK name.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses

that's right, i went there
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 09:28 AM   #3
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Throbbing Gristle. I think they're just embarrassing themselves now.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 10:20 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
hahahha.

right on man.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 10:37 AM   #5
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
The first that comes to mind is SPK. Jesus, they were incredible! The first three eps and "Information Overload Unit" are some of the best dada freeform electronics noise ever created, and with beats to boot! People called them industrial or post punk because there really wasn't any better term to describe them with. But SPK were the original in the lineage of bands that includes Runzilstern and Gurgelstock, Nautical Almanac, Rubber O Cement, Crank Sturgeon, and others. But damn, they then became a motherfuckind disco band? Not even a decent disco band with a couple catchy hits, but just iredeemable trash. Aklnos tarnishshes the SPK name.

I find the early industrial work kind of boring in hindsight. I still have
Zamia Lehmanni: Songs of Byzantine FlowersLP 1986 which has amore Cocteau Twins favor and is closer to his contemporary work as Graeme now does studio film soundtracks. I go to see action movies and then get surprised to see Graeme listed. I don't see SPK in the same lineage as you do, they were on Industrial records which puts them in the TG/Cab Voltaire world. They were a late 70's band! Those other bands are followers, 3rd generation.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
You just can't have enough dada freeform electronics noise in your life.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 12:34 PM   #7
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
xiu xiu.... from knife play to women as lovers.......
Old 04.30.2009, 12:39 PM   #8
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Dinosaur Jr.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 01:24 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Industrial was just a term used to describe late 70s/early80s electronic music that couldn't be playe in a club. The bands were drastically different. I'm actually glad TG is still touring, as long as its touring and releasing unreleased material and not recrding new full lengths I'm cool with it. But, they don't compare to the level of lameness that SPK acheived.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 03:20 PM   #10
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
I'm actually glad TG is still touring, as long as its touring and releasing unreleased material and not recrding new full lengths I'm cool with it.
Unfortunately, there's this hunk of shit:

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 04:04 PM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Butthole Surfers
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 04:12 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
the endless not sucked but they have a new tour disc that's pretty good.

Old 04.30.2009, 04:17 PM   #13
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Better_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's asses
i wouldn't say cat power is amazingly shitty now, but she's definitely taken a turn for the worse (musically) once she sobered up and quit being so loopy.

C'mon, Chan.
We want our lush back.

Better_Than_You is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 05:07 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think with a lot of 'alternative' bands, once they've lost it, they've lost it. Anyone who's heard Johnny Cash 76-90 knows how drastic the turnaround can be. That goes for Dolly 86-97 as well. All about country, I tells 'ee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 05:09 PM   #15
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think with a lot of 'alternative' bands, once they've lost it, they've lost it. Anyone who's heard Johnny Cash 76-90 knows how drastic the turnaround can be. That goes for Dolly 86-97 as well. All about country, I tells 'ee.

Strict.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 05:17 PM   #16
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
This happens alot in hip-hop/rap. Almost everyone eventually turns to shit and becomes a parody of their former selves.
Old 04.30.2009, 05:19 PM   #17
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
This happens alot in hip-hop/rap. Almost everyone eventually turns to shit and becomes a parody of their former selves.

Yeah, right.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 07:13 PM   #18
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself

that's right, i went there
aw hells naw son, you take that back.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 07:16 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

radiohead.

I thought they were really onto something with kid a. In Rainbows was one of the worst albums of all time though.

Old 04.30.2009, 07:16 PM   #20
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better_Than_You
i wouldn't say cat power is amazingly shitty now, but she's definitely taken a turn for the worse (musically) once she sobered up and quit being so loopy.

C'mon, Chan.
We want our lush back.

I've always liked her stuff.
When do you think she 'lost it', like album-wise.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth