Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal Streaming Review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.04.2009, 05:01 PM   #381
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Call me crazy, but I have always loved Thurston's singing, and I think it is vastly underrated. He's not Pavoratti, obviously. But like Dylan, his voice perfectly suits/compliments the songs that he sings.

your crazy
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2009, 05:04 PM   #382
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah.
Old 05.04.2009, 05:36 PM   #383
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
huh, you're over reacting.

if you say so, it must be true, because everyone knows that message boards have that magick of always being true and accurate and all that. thanks be to telepathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
too bad for you, !@#$%!, that it's not 1964 and they don't have that fake stereo stuff with the vocals in one speaker and all the other stuff in another...

yes! like those old beatles records my mom used to have.

i would kill for that, particularly on "leaky lifeboat", "antenna", and "thunderclap" where the vocals truly irritate me . oh fuck, i forgot "no way"--fork on a plate!

massage the history btw is such a brilliant wonderful fucking song.

steve rules the universe though. fuck! i'd make his channel LOUD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Call me crazy, but I have always loved Thurston's singing, and I think it is vastly underrated. He's not Pavoratti, obviously. But like Dylan, his voice perfectly suits/compliments the songs that he sings.

crazy.

pavo who? some finnish guy?

my problem with t-bone's voice is that it's kinda nasal-- not as nasal as dylan's but still it's not on par with the rest of the youf's noisical output, which is *fucking supreme*. kim i worship. and lee actually isn't bad!

i think thurston is ok for some songs but sometimes i dont know, he does too much singing. i much prefer when he dry-humps the amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
your crazy

does he keep him in a cage? or is it a she-crazy?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 03:02 AM   #384
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.snobsmusic.net/2009/05/so...um-review.html

8.5/10
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 03:15 AM   #385
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

I think I agree with the score more than than the review itself.
Old 05.05.2009, 10:45 AM   #386
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
ok this thread is very long but i dunno if its been mentioned before but a few listening observations i have about this album that i'm tending to like more and more with a few exceptions...

Does anyone hear the similarities to Polvo on the song "What We Know"? the guitar sound and some of arranged parts sound interestingly close, may be coincidental but to me thats cool...

I really have some mix feelings about that outer space feedback pitch modulated delay use on "Antenna", I mean as much as it is cool sound to create on an analog delay its actually an overused sound created effect thats become passe' so to speak... to me it almost should've only been done once either at the beginning or end of the song its like a trick that is too overdone to me.

no offense to Lee as he's the king of delay, but i kinda cringe when its soo upfront and obvious when i hear that. i wish it was pulled back with some other odd sound it just seems to just float out there and say "here I am!!!" type of sound. I do kinda like the song but that part irks me most...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 10:55 AM   #387
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure if this has been posted before, but: http://thequietus.com/articles/01524...track-by-track
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 11:09 AM   #388
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
It was posted before, and the consensus was that "John" should stick his
head in an oven.
Old 05.05.2009, 05:32 PM   #389
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
I think I agree with the score more than than the review itself.
Yes. The review isn't great.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 09:42 AM   #390
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
To me, it sounds kind of like Sonic Youth made this album with everything they did in the 90's and 00's in mind, only they made it right after Goo.
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2009, 06:52 PM   #391
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
i can't wait till i have the cd and i can listen to it on headphones and in my car. and i bet the vinyl will sound fucking awesome. but yeah, the album is pretty great. not my favorite by the them (sister maybe?) but it is far better than rather ripped (duh) and nurse in my opinion. how much higher it climbs will have to be decided in a further retrospect.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 02:34 PM   #392
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Malibu Gas Station....ufff, excelent!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 02:42 PM   #393
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolthing78
To me, it sounds kind of like Sonic Youth made this album with everything they did in the 90's and 00's in mind, only they made it right after Goo.
To me it doesn't.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 02:44 PM   #394
sarramkrop

I've never heard a band sounding as relaxed as Sonic Youth are on this record before. That's the first time it happened.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 03:00 PM   #395
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I've never heard a band sounding as relaxed as Sonic Youth are on this record before. That's the first time it happened.
Yesss!
That basically what I meant when I said (here on in some other thread) that I "feel" they're happy while playing, and that makes me happy too.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 04:07 PM   #396
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Yesss!
That basically what I meant when I said (here on in some other thread) that I "feel" they're happy while playing, and that makes me happy too.
Yes Italians Love Sonic Youth.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 04:15 PM   #397
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
my first listening had me thinking that at least this one has life in it and oh man, why should i have to try in order to like a sonic youth album.

anti-orgasm got my attention instantly and of course when massage the history got in, i was pleased because its divine and thought of the song as separate, not part of the album.

with the 2nd listening though, i was hooked. i havent stopped listening. its the 2nd day now.
im really enjoying it, but i dont share the enthusiasm. yet. im happy for the people who do.
i dont relate to it resembling atl, nor it being better than atl or other albums mentioned here.
they use all the good old sonic sounds, the rocky and poppy ones. the sonic complexity and the sound and feeling change within a song isnt much used. like in washing machine or atl for example.

but i cant stop listening to it.
apart from 2-3 favourate songs, i cant put the rest in an order yet. i like them almost the same, but i like them. antenna seemed to me the weakest one when it starts, but then thurston does a turn in his singing and its short of nice and i dont press the skip button.

i wanted to do at least 7 quotes in agreeing manner, but it would be uneconomical. also i wanted to listen to nurse and rr, which i dont remember at all, before i wrote smth here. i didnt.
nurse was flat (with good compositions), this isnt, but i hear a connection.

overall, i m glad with the new album.

your posts got soul.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 04:20 PM   #398
sarramkrop

Hmmmmm
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2009, 12:01 AM   #399
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmm. After 2-3 listens I'm somewhat split on the new album. It's interesting. I get the feeling it's an album that was meant to play to the base: those hardcore Sonic Youth fans who were pissed off at the "clean" sound and lack of dissonance on Rather Ripped. I think it purposely goes for that classic SY sound, and is full of Sonic Youth-isms. On the other hand, it just strikes me as kind of uninspired. It's like Goo-Dirty-EJST&NS-era Sonic Youth revisited. It's fine, but I enjoyed that sound from the band more the first time around. Now of course being a huge Sonic Youth fan, them going for a classic sound is going to have some appeal for me. I like their variety of noise pop/rock, which is why I've been a fan. I just feel they've lost a little of their novelty with this one.
Old 05.11.2009, 12:12 AM   #400
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder what kind of deal they signed with Matador. Just this album? Maybe, if it's 3 albums, they feel a need for, er, you know...."songs with choruses" on this first one, sell a lot, and then go all A Million Leaves on the next one, "hahaha Motherfuckers" type thing?

This is not to suggest in any way that Eternal is sellout or inferior.

Idk. I'm drunk.
171819 20 21 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth