Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Chaos/Anarcho/Crust/Gutter
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.11.2009, 01:28 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
whats your favorite chaos/anarcho/crust/gutter punk bands?

a global threat
civil disobedience
the varukers (i was at this gig)
the virus
self destruct
allergic to whores
defiance
endless struggle
agnostic front
aus rotten
the casualties

SubhumanS

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 01:43 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I miss being a fucking gutter punk.. thats how I became a dreadlock rasta to begin with.. I was originally strictly into chaos punk and in chaos bands but then I fell into reggae and the smoothness and hope replaced the angst and frustration. Its like chaos punk asks the questions in rage, and Rastafari gives the answers in peace.. but alas, I still miss the days getting into pits and being all pissed off all the time

Old 08.11.2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
crass
Old 08.11.2009, 01:45 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
crass

ahh crass.. not quite fast enough for me but solid fucking band, most appropriate lyrics, good thought provoking shit to get pissed off at the shitstem too..

Old 08.11.2009, 01:48 PM   #5
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I prefer the Mob, Flux Of Pink Indians, KUKL if they count over Chaos stuff....never much cared for that, seemed like street-punk trying even harder to pretend they didn't care
Old 08.11.2009, 01:50 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
I prefer the Mob, Flux Of Pink Indians, KUKL if they count over Chaos stuff....never much cared for that, seemed like street-punk trying even harder to pretend they didn't care

ouch, from the anarcho perspective, we always thought of street punk bands as being a little soft, don't get me wrong, I like some street punk bands but

for me.. its not just the lyrics, because most punk bands have good lyrics, its the sound. the edge, speed and distortion of chaos/crust/anarcho is my favorite, and its unique to that 'genre'

hardcore bands, metal bands, 'alternative bands' hint at the speed and edge of this music, but nothing captures it like a good gutter punk band like Self Destruct or Aus Rotten..

my favorite is subhumans, which is a bit less edge in the sound and speed, but much more intense in the lyrical content. Dick Lucas is one of the best punk lyricists ever, his music is not just 'hey i'm pissed off look at me' but actually intellegent and intelligible, a rare treat for the kind of music that usually requires to to check the liner notes to catch the words. (as subhumans said, you can't hear the words cuz the musics to loud..)

Old 08.11.2009, 01:51 PM   #7
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Those genres are pointless and will soon disappear.
I mean it's just punk/hc.

Conflict, Civil Disobedience, Calloused, Mankind...
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 02:10 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Those genres are pointless and will soon disappear.
I mean it's just punk/hc.

Conflict, Civil Disobedience, Calloused, Mankind...

calling them genres is a bit of a stretch, but they are already faded into history. these labels aren't necessarily for the labels and music industry, in fact they kinda evolved in an anti-establishment ideal..
street punk came out of the growing trendiness and mainstream identity of punk in the late 70s/early 80s.

crust/anarcho just evolved out of that same vibe, but as street punk became as popular and watered down as the 70s bands had become, it was necessary for the underground scene to evolve into something heavier, angrier.. hence anarcho/crust scene.

these labels describe various 'scenes' in punk history, not necessarily genres of music. In fact, most people get confused in trying to label these bands.. aus rotten and casualties are called 'street' by a lot of folks including Amazon and Wiki, but they are clearly crust bands compared to more accepted 'street' bands.

punk is an interesting underground culture which was greatly exploited by the mainstream, driving the sincere punks underground because after all, how could anti-establishment youth become the establishment (ie, mainstream?) how could you hear songs about destroying the system on the radio? how could you buy t-shirts for these bands at the mall?

when you can by punk bands shirt at Hot-Topic, they have gotten to big and its time to dig deeper underground to find some authenticity (ie, what happened with the Casualities when they went Warped Tour big and killed it). Its like what happened to RATM. The first album was unsigned, and it has edge and fierceness, speaks the truth in the lyrics, but when it blew up like Smells Like Teen Spirit, fucking they lost all their credentials, all their authenticity, and the lyrical content became watered down.

Today gutter punk has evolved out of crust, originally gutter punks were just homeless punks not affiliated with any scene, but as the scenes got big, punks looking to get out of the mainstream went gutter, and now it is becoming its own distinct sub-genre within chaos punk.

but you are absolutely right, this is dying genre (anarcho/chaos) which peaked from 85-99, and is rapid decline. these bands can only keep it up for so long, after all it is the nature of such fiercely anti-establishment bands to break apart, this music is unstable by nature.

Old 08.11.2009, 02:21 PM   #9
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
All labels beyond just plain "rock" are pointless to me these days. We've come so far in the evolution of loud guitar music that pretty much every band worth its salt IMO has a bit of punk, a dash of metal, maybe some 90s alternative, and a twinge of classic pop in their overall sound nowdays.

I guess I'd make a lousy anarcho/crusty/gutter punk since, much as I believe in the power of that kind of music (I don't know that I'd be a musician if not for punk), I just don't think I could swear alligence to one sound as a musician...
Old 08.11.2009, 02:32 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
All labels beyond just plain "rock" are pointless to me these days. We've come so far in the evolution of loud guitar music that pretty much every band worth its salt IMO has a bit of punk, a dash of metal, maybe some 90s alternative, and a twinge of classic pop in their overall sound nowdays.

I guess I'd make a lousy anarcho/crusty/gutter punk since, much as I believe in the power of that kind of music (I don't know that I'd be a musician if not for punk), I just don't think I could swear alligence to one sound as a musician...

true. its not so much swearing allegiance to one kind of sound, as much as being about the cause. to be an anarcho punk is to be absolutely anti-establishment. gutter punks pan handle because work is for jerks. every job you can get in the US is exploitative, fucking with either you, other employees, people in general etc etc. its the walmart effect combined with the military-industrial complex. thats why Rastafari people move in the bush up in the hills to grow they own food and raise they family against the system, not in any way participating. thats how I came to be a rasta, out of the gutter punk scene.

I-man enjoy chaos for the sound, not just the politics. it is my favorite sound of loud, guitar oriented music. I mean sonic youth or nirvana or tool are really good, original, innovative bands to me, but they don't exactly touch the core of my angst for as does the sound of chaos/anarcho bands.

music gives you a language to describe feelings and emotions that are otherwise unarticulated. chaos punk is the edge and fierceness which gives a language to that absolute angst at getting arrested for no reason or watching US planes blow some shit up wearing your flag doing it suppossedly for you.. chaos punk says, 'fuck you' and means it, where as other guitar bands sound does not carry this same weight of anger. I mean even some death metal or hardcore band which is louder or faster does not quite capture the same angst. If your not pissed off, you won't get it, and I think my thread history here well establishes how pissed off at the system I am.

Old 08.11.2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Disrupt
Disclose
Distechno
DROPDEAD
Magrudergrind
Pizzahifive
Shit The Floor
Shitfucker
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 02:42 PM   #12
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
We've come so far in the evolution of loud guitar music that pretty much every band worth its salt IMO has a bit of punk, a dash of metal, maybe some 90s alternative, and a twinge of classic pop in their overall sound nowdays.
Nirvana?? the first modern band?

SuchFriends, I'm quite sure many bands today play similar music as Ausrotten or Subhumans.
It's just I think it's pointless to "create" a genre, based on the lyrics or some political stance.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 02:54 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
crust punk was the worst, most unimaginative, side of punk - and that's saying something.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 02:58 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Nirvana?? the first modern band?

SuchFriends, I'm quite sure many bands today play similar music as Ausrotten or Subhumans.
It's just I think it's pointless to "create" a genre, based on the lyrics or some political stance.

well no, actually there are no other bands like Subhumans or Aus Rotten unless you are talking about like Defiance or Self Destruct.. see the connection? A scene develops out of music that sounds the same and talks about the same things.

What connects early sonic youth with glenn branca? no-wave.

what connects Nirvana with Mudhoney? grunge (which is actually a kind of mellow crust/street if you think about it)

what connects Tribe Called Quest with Slick Rick? hip hop

its not that these are forced connections, a scene develops out of natural, mutual relationships. Bands that sound alike and sing about the same shit tend to attract the same kinds of fans, and this inevitably evolves into a full fledged scene..

chaos/anarcho punk is/was definitely a distinct scene within punk. we were/are very different in our tastes, opinions, and lifestyles than other 'punks' and so it is right that we had our own scene/genre. it was not a labeling thing, its about common sounds, interests and goals.

Old 08.11.2009, 03:00 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
crust punk was the worst, most unimaginative, side of punk - and that's saying something.

ouch. don't hate cuz you can't play three chords together fast enough to evolve out of street punk.. further have you actually listened to drums and bass lines of crust bands? That shit is innovative, fast and thrash which is not easy to do by the way.. I used to smoke fucking every drummer I played with except for ONE (they all just could not keep up), who was in a local crust band I jammed with back in the day.

It is just not your kind of imagination, but for me, I don't know any other music with that kind of drum work.

what I liked most about crust was that we didn't/don't sing a bunch of songs about yr girlfriend, that shit gets old.

Old 08.11.2009, 03:13 PM   #16
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

You seem to be confused, how can you say a band like Flux Of Pink Indians weren't imaginative? Surely you mean street punk.
Old 08.11.2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You seem confused, how can you say brown isn't imaginative? Perhaps you mean light brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 03:49 PM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
i'm confused
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2009, 06:45 PM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
You seem to be confused, how can you say a band like Flux Of Pink Indians weren't imaginative? Surely you mean street punk.

fuck, i just looked these guys up and they're from my town (bishop's stortford, a small place in the middle of nowhere) and they're really good
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2009, 06:16 AM   #20
mrb
little trouble girl

mrb has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Tragedy!!!
mrb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth