Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Two Films on Joy Division
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2007, 11:00 AM   #21
lungfish
bad moon rising

lungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
The film is not showing where I live so I'll have to make 130km, but that seems to be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It is.

indeed. totally worth it.
lungfish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 04:21 PM   #22
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Control today. My impressions are the first 3 quarters of the film are great, while the last quarter is not as good and convincing. But it's still a very good movie on the whole, far better than 24 hour people and than what I expected initially (music video directors often suck when turning into film directors, but Anton Corbjin did a very good job as it's very mastered on the whole).

EDIT: thanks for recommending me seeing it despite the distance
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2007, 07:09 AM   #23
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
i saw CONTROL and had mixed feelings about it.

from an artistic direction, it was done beautifully, but i would expect nothing less from a world famous music video director. he did a great job of connecting mood and time period through b/w and costume/wardrobe.

the acting was ok, sam does a great job of recreating those famous stares and poses that we have all seen of the famous joy division documentation.

but, in the end, i wouldn't see it a second time nor would i get the dvd. i left the movie feeling like i've learned absolutely nothing about the lives of ian curtis, debbie, and any of the other people close to ian. they didn't touch on his parents hardly at all, didn't even touch on the band members, didn't touch on debbie's parents or even debbie very indepth except for what emotional problems she had with ian. and to be honest, i don't even think they touched on ian all that much.

the movie was way too predictable and i even snickered when he killed himself because of how hokey and soap-opera dramatic they made that scene to be. that scene would be great for POP UP VIDEO. it just got very hokey at many points. it would go something like this: (scene: ian sitting on the floor with a notebook/debbie comes in crying/ian doesn't say a word and scribbles "she's lost control" down in the notebook) (next scene: joy division on stage playing "she's lost control".) that's about how hokey it was. (scene: ian & debbie fighting..."love will tear us apart" played in the background).

it was as if anton tried too hard to recreate the famous still life images of the band. CONTROL is definitely something i could see mtv2 or vh1 making as a "made for tv movie".

usually i want to take something away from a movie, especially an autobiographical. i'd atleast want to learnt something more about this icon (ian curtis), but i feel i've learned nothing more than i did before i went into the movie and i wasn't even a huge fan (i really only liked CLOSER and didn't like UNKNOWN PLEASURES all that much).

that was a great thing about WALK THE LINE. they did a great job of not being so predictable and really recreating a more in-depth life of june & johnny cash. how hokey would it have been if they recreated that scene of him flipping the bird at the show?

in my opinion, it was not a bad movie. i think it was beautiful from an artistic direction, but i thought the writing lacked depth and substance and that left me feeling like the movie was a bit superficial and just purely masterbatory for anton's fantasies.

but that's the price you pay for having a music video director take on a movie (his first). they are going to be a bit more literal and straight forward because that's just how music videos are done.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2007, 08:40 AM   #24
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)
i don't even think they touched on ian all that much.

Isn't the name of Deborah's book "Touching from a distance" ?

From what I've read on Ian and the group (in Debbie's book and the 2005 special edition of Mojo) I think the movie is really good at reflecting how they were.
Old 10.27.2007, 08:46 AM   #25
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

You're right regarding some aspects of Ian though: the movie depicts him as "nicer" than he really was, he could be really harsh at times. He also romanticised the early death of rock icons, which could have play a part in his suicide (it maybe wasn't all about his love life).
Old 10.27.2007, 01:22 PM   #26
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Isn't the name of Deborah's book "Touching from a distance" ?

From what I've read on Ian and the group (in Debbie's book and the 2005 special edition of Mojo) I think the movie is really good at reflecting how they were.

it very well could have been the intention to purposely leave the story "shallow" to the point where you don't feel you even knew anyone. but if that's the case, then the movie should make you understand "ian curtis" even more indepth to the point where the audience can understand exactly why ian was "distant".

i saw a documentary on MTV years ago about primarily New Order but it went pretty indepth on Joy Division as well. this was about '89-'90? they talked about ian curtis and his struggle with medication and epilepsy and i'm positive that's why ian started dancing the way he did because of the medication and epilepsy, could be wrong.

it's not a bad film, i just think it was done purely for money reasons and self-fulfillment of anton. it just looked way too predictable, as if he took every iconic still life of joy division and tried to replicate it perfectly. those who are going to want what they're already predicting the movie to be are going to be pleased. i was hoping for more unpredictability and more imagination. i didn't feel like i learned anything about ian curtis or the people in his life that i had not known before the movie. maybe i'm harsh? probably so, so i apologize to those who really liked the movie. this is just one guys opinion in the end and i'm in the minute minority.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2007, 03:14 PM   #27
suez
empty page

suez has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
love joy division.

suez is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2007, 11:58 PM   #28
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
Looking forward to watching Control

Word. I jacked a newspaper from school because I saw an article on it.
I can't wait to see it 9probably won't see it anywhere here, though...)

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2007, 12:05 AM   #29
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
They are playing it in some distant city near here. I don't know if I want to drive that far for it.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2007, 12:24 AM   #30
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
They're apparently playing in Toronto... or were? I couldn't make it on such short notice, but I would fucking LOVE to see them live.

FUCK! I thought I opened the Text of Light thread hahaha. I'll copy this, and leave it here as a testament to my retardedness.
It's (Control, that is) definitely not coming to sudbury, though.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2007, 01:32 PM   #31
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
Saw it a couple of days ago and liked it for the most part. It looks great, good performances, excellent soundtrack etc. The script was a little patchy, some clunky lines/convenient situations, and overall it was a bit by the numbers, but the atmosphere was suitably oppressive, which I thought made up for a lot of its flaws.

Definitely worth a look anyway.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2007, 05:10 AM   #32
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Anton Corbijn interview 1/2:
http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_...ilm=94896.html

Anton Corbijn interview 2/2:

Sam Riley interview:
Old 11.14.2007, 06:31 AM   #33
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

The song by The Fall in the Sam Riley interview is great, maybe I should investigate the band more.
Old 11.14.2007, 11:07 AM   #34
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

http://www.nme.com/news/joy-division/32396

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth