Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2013, 08:01 PM   #3121
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
The new Neil Gaiman, Ocean at the End of the Lane.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 09:08 PM   #3122
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

This is great. I like Umberto Eco, a blend of religious themed and historical fiction, combining all my favorite boring subjects into novel format. The Name of the Rose is better, but this has been a great read so far. Interestingly it connects Byzantine Orthodox beef with Latin Catholics, something I am a bit familiar with as an Orthodox Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
The new Neil Gaiman, Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Wait. NEW Neil Gaiman? I want it. Is it epic
like American Gods or just OK like Anansi Boys?

Either way I have to order it right away!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2013, 02:23 PM   #3123
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

This is great. I like Umberto Eco, a blend of religious themed and historical fiction, combining all my favorite boring subjects into novel format. The Name of the Rose is better, but this has been a great read so far. Interestingly it connects Byzantine Orthodox beef with Latin Catholics, something I am a bit familiar with as an Orthodox Christian

Wait. NEW Neil Gaiman? I want it. Is it epic
like American Gods or just OK like Anansi Boys?

Either way I have to order it right away!!

Dude, of course there's a new Neil Gaiman. It is, disappointingly, only 193 pages or something... It's also completely separate from American Gods as far as I can tell, and though it feels almost like a more stylized, clever take on a children's book, it's one of the scariest things he's ever written. I'm taking it very slow, especially because it's so short, so I may be off in the long run, but despite its nostalgic childhood narrative, it has malevolent overtone that makes it a very tense and anxious read. My god, what that man can do with words.

Anyway, of course it's got a mythological foundation (I think) but this time it seems closer to Pagan faerie than to any of the more obvious cultural myths and archetypes seen in American Gods and Anansi Boys. Like a cautionary tale a Pagan mother might tell her children to horrify them out of doing something naughty.

You and I seem to have similar I interests. Did you know that (according to Goodreads, and some other super credible sources?) there is an entire sub-sub genre of science fiction/fantasy/historical fiction that is completely devoted to theologically themed realist allegories, with some supernatural and/or heavily speculative element?

I too love religion and history, but psychology and cognitive/behavioral science, shot through a prism of speculation, is the big kicker for me. So this genre, which includes books by authors ranging from Gaiman, Gene Wolfe, China Mieville, to Dan Brown (yeah, I know), Susanna Clarke, Gordon Dahlquist, and
Tom Wolfe. I wish I remembered it's name. Theological Science Fiction sounds really awful, so having a cool sub-pop name works for me.
Old 06.29.2013, 08:57 AM   #3124
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Howdy stranger!

__

The Fallout. Andrew Anthony

Anyone who's read and liked Nick Cohen's What's Left? should love this.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2013, 08:59 AM   #3125
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I loved Name of the Rose but got about 3/4 of the way into Foucault's Pendulum before realising I didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on. I'll give Baudolini a go though.
Old 06.29.2013, 02:21 PM   #3126
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Dude, of course there's a new Neil Gaiman. It is, disappointingly, only 193 pages or something... It's also completely separate from American Gods as far as I can tell, and though it feels almost like a more stylized, clever take on a children's book, it's one of the scariest things he's ever written. I'm taking it very slow, especially because it's so short, so I may be off in the long run, but despite its nostalgic childhood narrative, it has malevolent overtone that makes it a very tense and anxious read. My god, what that man can do with words.

Anyway, of course it's got a mythological foundation (I think) but this time it seems closer to Pagan faerie than to any of the more obvious cultural myths and archetypes seen in American Gods and Anansi Boys. Like a cautionary tale a Pagan mother might tell her children to horrify them out of doing something naughty.

Books written for teenagers are often authors' best works. I think Clive Barkers works for children and teenagers are BETTER than his adult novels. I like that they are more concise, and yet also less graphic. They let your imagination do the heavy lifting, more insinuation and hinting than revealing the horror. Imajica is epic, but I really have enjoyed these Abarat books. While I didn't like Anasi Boys better than American Gods, I didn't think it was particularly better written, so I expect that kind of style in this one. 200 pages are better for me. I have a short attention span for novels, there are a dozen I have put down at the half way point because after two or three days I lose interest.

When I realized that American Gods was really just a grief story, it all clicked. He was just holding on too long, the way MOST of us make our lives tragic by holding on to a dream, a fear, or a love longer than its worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I loved Name of the Rose but got about 3/4 of the way into Foucault's Pendulum before realising I didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on. I'll give Baudolini a go though.

Baudolino is a bit lengthy, but its actually fucking hilarious! Name of the Rose was more spooky, a great thriller.

Old 06.30.2013, 06:25 AM   #3127
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses

Currently hammering my way through this book. Just brilliant. That's all you need to know.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 06:45 AM   #3128
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I absolutely love boxing from that era. I actually have a load of videos of old Hearns, Hagler, Duran fights that I recorded off the TV as a kid. Hagler especially is one of my all-time sporting heroes. I've never seen a book that focuses solely on that period so I've just ordered it off Amazon. Thanks!!!!
Old 06.30.2013, 07:04 AM   #3129
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Must spread love before giving again etc.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 07:17 AM   #3130
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Likewise. And if you haven't already seen it, try and check out the DVD, Fabulous Four, which profiles the same era. You'll love it.
Old 06.30.2013, 09:17 AM   #3131
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses

pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 10:35 AM   #3132
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Books written for teenagers are often authors' best works. I think Clive Barkers works for children and teenagers are BETTER than his adult novels. I like that they are more concise, and yet also less graphic. They let your imagination do the heavy lifting, more insinuation and hinting than revealing the horror. Imajica is epic, but I really have enjoyed these Abarat books. While I didn't like Anasi Boys better than American Gods, I didn't think it was particularly better written, so I expect that kind of style in this one. 200 pages are better for me. I have a short attention span for novels, there are a dozen I have put down at the half way point because after two or three days I lose interest.

[b]When I realized that American Gods was really just a grief story, it all clicked. He was just holding on too long, the way MOST of us make our lives tragic by holding on to a dream, a fear, or a love longer than its worth. [b]

Sir, have you ever read The Stars My Destination
Old 07.18.2013, 07:11 PM   #3133
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Jules Verne The Mysterious Island.

Its pretty good. I'm reading faster than usual, because I seem to be absorbing faster. I've only read a few books this fast, like The Ruins or the novel version of 30 Days of Night.

Baudolino? It was cool, had a fantastic Umberto Ego style twist at the end, but it should have been a hundred pages shorter. It was like a cross between 100 Years of Solitude, Canterbury Tales, and Clive Barker's Imajica. Decent medieval themed psychedelic fantasy blended with historical fiction, however and again, a bit to lengthy..

Old 07.18.2013, 07:17 PM   #3134
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
my goodreads page is here

go look at how smarter i am than you
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2013, 08:55 PM   #3135
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Raffles:The Amateur Cracksman- It's quite good.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2013, 08:07 AM   #3136
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.22.2013, 09:17 PM   #3137
Severian
invito al cielo

Nice, Rob!
Old 07.22.2013, 09:21 PM   #3138
Severian
invito al cielo

The Ocean at the End of the Lane was so good it made me cry. Really light writing for Gaiman, at least in length... but man that guy has a way of making your teeth curl. How he comes up with some of his imagery without excessive psychotropic drug use is beyond me. There's also some heartwarming shit, f yr into that kind of thing.
Old 08.13.2013, 01:35 AM   #3139
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
& sons, david gilbert
Old 08.13.2013, 06:06 PM   #3140
Severian
invito al cielo

... Grudgingly, though. I don't like being sucked into these soon to be cinematic abortions, especially being a late-comer. It's obviously a first "novel," but there is a sense of classic science fiction tension that reminds me of the '60s and '70s writing I enjoy so much. It is hard to put down, I'll give it that.. But it only takes a few chapters before its literary influences become painfully clear.

I'm really just filling the space between, here. I plan on re-reading Bradbury's Greentown trilogy here soon, and I recently finished the new Gaiman, which lead to an enjoyable umpteenth time through all the old Gaiman I have. Never where seems to be losing some of its menace, but mostly, the oldies are holding up well for Mr. Amanda Palmer.
107147154155156 157 158159160167207257 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth