Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Why Didn't Team Sleep's album sound like the unreleased single "Death by Plane"?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.05.2008, 12:15 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
This tune was the single to promote the album, but was not actually on the album

and further, the album sounds nothing like the single, nor does the album sound like the good version of Team Sleep that was playing in 2001 More 2001 liveand in 2003, nor the 2004 version which had Mary Timony in it. The Maverick Records version of Team Sleep is fucking terrible! They should have just released the material they were playing in 2001, it was phenomenal in comparison! this album was a let down in the highest, just like Thom Yorke's the Erasure whose tunes sounded a million times better live then on that terrible terrible album version..

does anyone else remember the good team sleep of several years ago?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2008, 02:19 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Both versions were decent at best, though yes I preferred the sparser, lonelier, quieter early unreleased version. Both versions had some really cool songs on it.

I hate that song with the piano... "Tomb of Legaia" or whatever.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2008, 02:28 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Both versions were decent at best, though yes I preferred the sparser, lonelier, quieter early unreleased version. Both versions had some really cool songs on it.

I hate that song with the piano... "Tomb of Legaia" or whatever.

the live stuff from 2001 was much heavier, much more ambient, much longer, more jammed out! This recent remake of the same tunes was a let down in comparison. it was going to be a good project until Maverick got greedy and wanted a piece of it. anticipating a good Deftones record though, they brought back Terry Date, who is their main man.

Old 09.05.2008, 03:23 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked saturday night wrist.

The only Deftones I hated was the self-titled one.

Anyway, about Team Sleep.. Honestly, I think they could've made a great album with the best bits of both albums, the unreleased one and the released one. I for one was glad to see the shitty Mike Patton song go.

Old 09.05.2008, 03:39 PM   #5
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
The only Deftones i don't like is the last one. Fucking overproduced shit with weak riffs.
I'm not too much into the first one aither. About half of it is killer though.

But the three LPs in between = win.
Old 09.05.2008, 03:41 PM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Man, self-titled is awful. Every song sounds exactly the same. They all start with a lo fi version of the main riff and then the song kicks in, and all the songs are predictable and boring.

The first one is awesome. I love "Root", "Engine No 9", "Fireal", "Fist"... "Lifter"! "Nosebleed"! I haven't listened to that shit in years but it's great.

I think we can all agree that around the fur is probably their best.

Old 09.05.2008, 03:57 PM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I wasn't really fond of Team Sleep. I thought I would be, but it was just kind of "meh".

I really like the first three Deftones albums, but don't listen to them that often because they end up giving me a headache. I guess I listen too loud though...
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2008, 04:29 PM   #8
al shabbray

you got no ears, its just data, that cant be too loud *remindingthebotmodeoff*
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2008, 04:32 PM   #9
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
i saw them at one of those 2001 shows, they were awesome live. the albums were ok, but i like that really early demo version of teh first album more.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2008, 05:43 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
i saw them at one of those 2001 shows, they were awesome live. the albums were ok, but i like that really early demo version of teh first album more.

the demo version was the one that should have been released!
the 2001 tour was much stronger then the album release in 2005.

the self-titled album was actually really good. Minerva is a solid single, and Hexagram is perhaps one of their greatest tunes!

Around the Fur is of course their absolute best, and is one of the finest albums of the 1990s! its to bad everyone else on this bored aside from the folks who posted on this thread, cant STAND the deftones! in fact, over the years I realized a lot of folks cant stand them, and it makes me wonder, how the fuck do they sell out all the shows I try to go to when I cant find or meet any people who like them?

Old 09.05.2008, 07:08 PM   #11
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
weird, i always have the opposite. i can't find anyone that doesn't like em. well, i know this one dude... but he likes staind & shit like that, so he doesn't count lol. hexagram and needles and pins=2 of my favorite deftones songs f'sho!

Old 09.06.2008, 11:48 PM   #12
steve newman
bad moon rising

steve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's asses
i saw them just after the record came out. they do sound a lot better live than memorex. and it was a fun show too, with chino doing a little dance and getting the crowd going with a little "say hoooo" "hooooo"!
steve newman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2008, 11:50 PM   #13
al shabbray

didnt they cover a boards of canada track live? I would love to hear that
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2008, 06:50 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

In real life, I don't know a single person who hates the Deftones. A lot of people I know aren't fanatical about them, but of the people who are familiar with them I can't really pinpoint anyone who hates them.

Old 09.07.2008, 07:17 AM   #15
al shabbray

^^
I dont like his voice on most of their sings, for me that the most tunr down of the doeftones and every band hes involved. it really get on my nerves even if I enjoy a lot of their music
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2008, 02:23 PM   #16
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

that's how i feel about them live. they are utter shit live. didn't use to be, but it seems every year they just get worse and worse.

Old 09.07.2008, 02:50 PM   #17
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I thought they were good live, to be honest. It's semi-dependent on the crowd, I guess, but I've been to much, much worse shows from good bands. I've seen them once, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And yeah I've never met anyone outside of this board who doesn't like Deftones, either. Including people who "hate that genre".

As for Team Sleep, I don't remember the deal with the demo and all that, but I think it's briefly explained on Wikipedia.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2008, 04:54 PM   #18
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

i'v eseen the deftones live about 6 times. the first time i saw them they wer eawesome. it was the aruond the fur tour. but then over the years it seemed like the fatter chino got the more they sucked live. he CANNOT sing live the way he does on the albums (i'm guessing it's alot of studio magic) and their sound is always just too muddy. all in all i think they sound like shit live, they put on a good show mind you, it just sounds like shit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth