Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page GOOD noise rock.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.03.2008, 03:50 PM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
you can make a whammy sound without a whammy by just hitting the bridge really hard hah... well it depends on what guitar you have.

Well, when I saw them live, he would just keep bending the part of the guitar where the tuning pegs were. He'd just play something kinda fast and bend the notes that way. It was pretty funny and cool but it looked kinda dangerous also... to the strings, I mean...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 03:51 PM   #22
al shabbray

I got this lambhouse record from post-unsane times with a bonus dvd nd all their vids, pretty much all about blood darkness explosions and pain, hrhrhr
but scrape is still their best track I think
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 03:51 PM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
SCATTERED SMOTHERED AND COVERED and the singles collection are my fav. unsane releases.

Old 09.03.2008, 03:54 PM   #24
al shabbray

yeah the singles are on there too...

thats what I am talking about including the dvd which is always nice

that cover is just awesome, hrhr
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 03:56 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Ah, but the single collection I'm referring to is Singles 89-92, LP/ CD .. Lambhouse has singles from 91 to 98 haha.

Old 09.03.2008, 03:56 PM   #26
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Young Widows

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 03:57 PM   #27
al shabbray

oh ok. I just thought that one is about their whole lifespan...
will chekc that
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 03:58 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh fuck, how did I leave out CAROLINER from my list?

They're, again, not "noise rock" in the same way the other bands on here are noise rock... but they're definitely noisey, and occassionally rock, and are probably the weirdest band ever.

See also Omoide Hatoba.

Old 09.03.2008, 04:04 PM   #29
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Confusion is Sex fits in the genre I think.
I add:
Shorty.Thumb Days
Hell No.Skin Job / Reformer.
Beautiful Penis
Ascension ( demonrail666 area only )
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 04:22 PM   #30
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
thurston moore?

these are my faves:

-the crumb
-barefoot in the head
-shamballa
-klangfarbenmelodie
-please just leave me
-piece for jetsun dolma
-pillow wand!
-lost to the city/noise to nowhere
-III with Grassy Knoll (anybody heard it?)
-kill any/all spin personnel
-root! (yeah that's good)
-the promise
-the roadhouse session vol 1
-three incredible ideas
-first original silence
-flipped out bride
-weapons of ass destruction
-sensitive/lethal

that's all, they are worth to put it on cd player, really.

edit: and now im listening to Not Me, and it's good too.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 04:24 PM   #31
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Well, when I saw them live, he would just keep bending the part of the guitar where the tuning pegs were. He'd just play something kinda fast and bend the notes that way. It was pretty funny and cool but it looked kinda dangerous also... to the strings, I mean...
I did that once with one of my guitars and broke part of the nut haha.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 04:26 PM   #32
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
It may not be especially original, but as much as I dig my obscure noise rock, Big Black still always remains my favourite "proper" noise rock group (as opposed to just noisy rock like Sonic Youth, Polvo ETC).

That said, coming close behind are the Japanese noise rockers, especially Fushitsusha/Keiji Haino and the Boredoms (assuming we just count early Boredoms as genuine noise rock, because if I allow Super Ae or Vision Creation Newsun then they’re way up at the top), both of whom I'm honestly surprised haven't been mentioned yet. Aside from them most of my faves have been mentioned here (a scarily large percentage by atsonicpark).
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 04:32 PM   #33
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Sightings
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 04:34 PM   #34
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
It may not be especially original, but as much as I dig my obscure noise rock, Big Black still always remains my favourite "proper" noise rock group (as opposed to just noisy rock like Sonic Youth, Polvo ETC).

Yes, Big Black and Rapeman are what i consider noise rock and im looking for the kind of stuff that sounds more like this.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 04:34 PM   #35
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
bastards - shit for brains 7"

do Religious Knives fall into the noise rock territory?

you could also add Green Magnet School and Six Finger Satellite.

i also love TFUL282 a ton.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2008, 10:31 PM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah I mentioned Six Finger Satellite. Their earlier stuff especially... what a crazy guitar tone on some of that shit. "Do the Suicide"!

Never heard Green Magnet School, will have to check them out.

Old 09.04.2008, 12:01 AM   #37
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Adam listed Neptune, they're really great. Grey Shallows should be a fuckin' radio hit. I'm seeing them live in October, it's gonna rule.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2008, 12:25 AM   #38
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
for locals, Neptune is playing the 16th of this month (opening for A Place To Bury Strangers).

i was lame and blew off the Major Stars/Neptune show last Friday.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2008, 12:28 AM   #39
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
We've had this thread 500 times. Still, it gives me an excuse to list bands I like. Let's go.. I bolded the ones I really reccomend.

Drunks With Guns
Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 (not pure noise rock but uses lots of dissonance and noise)
Polvo (see above)
Pre
Flipper
early Butthole Surfers
Savage Republic
Monoshock
Unholy Swill
Blight
Zeni Geva
Electric Eels
Arab on Radar
some Six Finger Satellite
Liquorball
The Child Molestors
Coughs
Pink and Brown
Coachwhips
Lightning Bolt
Neptune
Japanther
Ex-Models (clean noise!)
Ponytail
Men's Recovery Project
Gang Gang Dance
Melt Banana
Ground Zero
Unsane
Snake Nation
early Helmet
No Doctors
Snake Apartment
early Swans
Silverfish
Hammerhead
Janitor Joe
King Snake Roost
Slug
Heroin Sheiks (made one of the best albums of the year already)
Halo of Flies
Headbutt
Vaz
Rusted Shut
Pussy Galore
Brainbombs
Royal Trux
Harry Pussy
Mount Shasta
Strangulated Beatoffs
Dazzling Killmen (probably my highest reccomendation)
Collossamite
Cosmic Psychos
early Dwarves (noise punk)
Lake of Dracula
You Fantastic
Big Black
U.S. Maple
Rancid Vat
Country Teasers
No Trend
Feedtime
Cherubs
Scratch Acid
Rapeman
Stickmen With Rayguns
Killdozer
Brainbombs
Cows
Witch Hats
Pissed Jeans
earlier Jesus Lizard
Space Streakings
Shakuhachi Surprise
Korrean Buddhist God
Cherubs
Cutthroats 9
Enemymine
Godheadsilo

See also:

- A lot of the Touch and Go roster
- Some of the Load roaster
- All of the Skin Graft roster
- All of the Amphetamine Reptile roster

There ya go!

fuck you brah! you never let me get the spotlight!

how bout this; (early) sonic youth, pussy galore, butthole surfers, big black, fuck you know those?

no but seriously:
the hospitals
$hit and $hine
blues control (psychodelic blues noise rock)
the homostupids

those are some im diggin right now that havnt been mentioned

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2008, 12:34 AM   #40
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
melt banana (prog noise punk, is what id call them)
diskaholics anonymous (actually more noise jazz, but fuck it, thurston, mats gustaffson, o'rourke)
dog faced hermanns (noise rock/anarcho punk)
pengo (psychedelic no wave)
the ceramic hobs (nihilist noise punk, amazing by the way)
16-17 (jazzed out noise core some prog, truly fucking amazing)
strangulated beatoffs
PEESEYYE/pee in my face with surgery (actually i dont know)

man im really stretching the term noise rock

motorhead

fuck they dont count

but no those are good bands

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth