Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.30.2016, 09:39 AM   #101
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
im having onions on the grateful dead with a side order of chocolate covered crickets.

Yeah, I never got that onion thing. Did you really think the thread was asking for "Onions on the Grateful Dead"? Didn't your brain make you do a double take on that one bro? If not, please at least tell me you were drunk, because if not I have some concerns about your neurological well being.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2016, 04:46 PM   #102
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
wait, it's "Opinions on the Grateful Dead"?

well i'll be damn. this whole time im thinking "why not green peppers instead".
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2016, 08:21 AM   #103
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Why and HOW do the bats create some sort of tornado that lifts Bruce out of the old well he falls in? That a dream? hallucination?

In the comics it was Bruce's father who rescued him from the well, not magical bats!
Old 03.31.2016, 10:30 AM   #104
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Why and HOW do the bats create some sort of tornado that lifts Bruce out of the old well he falls in? That a dream? hallucination?

In the comics it was Bruce's father who rescued him from the well, not magical bats!

Did you miss the voice over? Bruce says "in the dream they brought me up, toward the light" ... and something about how reality was the opposite ("the Bat," Bruce's lil' primal self, takes him even further into the darkness).

I admit when I was watching that scene I was saying "what. what. what. oh my fucking God..." out loud in the theatre, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when I realized it was a dream.

Still, that's not how I would have gone about setting up Bruce's story. It was just too much. And it was a double insult to Superman, on top of receiving SECOND BILLING in what was originally going to be, and essentially still is, HIS movie, that narrative duties went to Bruce Wayne.

I've been thinking so much about this, and even though I liked the movie, I can't really recommend it to anyone in a concise way. I think it's unmissable for the sheer spectacle of it, but there's just a lot of stuff that doesn't work. If it had been a Justice League movie, that would have worked better. But Batman and Superman are so different that it doesn't seem possible to truly do justice to both characters in the same film.

In this film, Superman suffered (literally and metaphorically) but I still wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Old 03.31.2016, 10:40 AM   #105
Severian
invito al cielo

I heard the other day that a proper Man of Steel 2 IS actually still in the plans for the DCEU. But what's it going to be about? They've taken all these Superman characters and turned them into Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/JL characters.

If I'd been in charge, I would have pulled a Dark Knight, and made a solid character driven sequel to man of steel that featured the most iconic villain (Luthor), setting things up for a third installment that dealt with the big muscle bound baddy (Doomsday). Seriously, if they'd followed Doomsday's canon story, they could have made an entire movie out of his journey to earth and the destruction he wreaks once he's there.

I say fuck Justice League movies. Make a movie of every major character, and let them exist on their own or in a shared multiverse, and worry about a crossover later, if the opportunity presents itself and looks doable.

I am looking forward to the Flash movie. I'm also excited about Green Lantern CORPS (which should really be where Doomsday is introduced, but whatever), and of course Wonder Woman. To me, they're making a mistake by including Cyborg. Who cares about Cyborg? Nobody. It's just a plot mechanism to get Apokalips technology and Darkseid references into the mix. But I barely know who Cyborg is.
Old 03.31.2016, 10:48 AM   #106
Severian
invito al cielo

Still, I prefer the tone of all of the DC movies to the tone of Marvel films.

I like my superhero stories dark and convoluted. I want to see gritty sci-fi violence and huge explosions and characters struggling with moral delemas. I do not want snappy comebacks from my stoic heroes, nor do I want cutest "bro-bonding" scenes. Or effeminate androids.

I for one can't wait to see Cap beat the smirk off of Iron Man's face in Civil War. Though mark my words, Cap is the Superman in that story, and I believe he's going to have a rough time at the end of that film.

Oh! Can't wait to see War Machine die also! For some reason Don Cheadle really irritates me. I would have much rather seen Terrance Howard continue in that role. Fucking Don Cheadle man. What the hell. Guy's playing Miles Davis too? Ugh.
Old 03.31.2016, 03:26 PM   #107
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
For some reason Don Cheadle really irritates me.

"some reason" = he's black

Quote:
I would have much rather seen Terrance Howard continue in that role.

this is why we can't have black oscars

Quote:
Fucking Don Cheadle man. What the hell. Guy's playing Miles Davis too? Ugh.

kkk please! don cheadle is great

also your children's movies are greatly improved by joss whedon. they'd be unwatchable otherwise.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2016, 03:40 PM   #108
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Finally, this thread gets interesting. Thanks !@#$%!
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2016, 04:45 PM   #109
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
pffft! you people are nuts. can you smell opinions and can they make you cry? I think so.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2016, 05:42 PM   #110
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
"some reason" = he's black
this is why we can't have black oscars

kkk please! don cheadle is great
also your children's movies are greatly improved by joss whedon. they'd be unwatchable otherwise.

Hey where you been?!

Also Terrance Howard's black. Guessing you know that.

And yeah, Joss Wheadon gives wings to just about anything he touches. He's really the only reason I watched the Avengers. But I'll take Firefly or Cabin in the Woods any day. Also, he's pretty much done with Marvel as far as I know. He did the Avengers but the next two Avengers films are contracted out to the guys who did Winter Soldier and Civil War. Which is fine with me because the Cap movies are my favorites in the grand scheme o' things.
Old 03.31.2016, 07:39 PM   #111
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
I found this movie fun to watch but its not my ideal Superman. I think a great tone for a Superman film would be a combination of Forest Gump and Indiana Jones. Zemeckis and Spielberg please
Old 04.04.2016, 11:18 AM   #112
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Finally, this thread gets interesting. Thanks !@#$%!

such sarcasm wounds me, sir

Quote:
Hey where you been?!

other internets

Quote:
Also Terrance Howard's black. Guessing you know that.

i didn't know his name but he's a lightskin to don cheadle's blueblack. like denzel and hallie berry. blueblack oscars ftw.

no, lissen, i'm just shittin you. please ignore.

but don cheadle IS great. you don't like house of lies?

Quote:
And yeah, Joss Wheadon gives wings to just about anything he touches. He's really the only reason I watched the Avengers. But I'll take Firefly or Cabin in the Woods any day. Also, he's pretty much done with Marvel as far as I know. He did the Avengers but the next two Avengers films are contracted out to the guys who did Winter Soldier and Civil War. Which is fine with me because the Cap movies are my favorites in the grand scheme o' things.

i don't like this type of comic book, so whedon made them palatable to me with his humor ("it seems to operate on some sort of electricity"). i haven't cared for capes and masks since elementary.

OTOH, "preacher" just started production here in neo-mex -- HELL YEAH. PREACHER.

for a good "superhero" (in a way) movie watch "the protector" with tony jaa. a reboot of ong bak, more bananas than the original.

in many ways a complete mess, but sooooooooooo much fun (i saw the original thai version not the "theatrical release"). flying knee kicks ftw. NO WIRES. NO CGI.

ETA: but i'll watch anything that has scarlett in it. because scarlett.
Old 04.04.2016, 11:52 AM   #113
Severian
invito al cielo

Preacher's going to be damn near impossible to adapt. I wonder how they're going to dampen it down to make it affordable and palatable to tv audiences.
Old 04.04.2016, 12:15 PM   #114
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Preacher's going to be damn near impossible to adapt. I wonder how they're going to dampen it down to make it affordable and palatable to tv audiences.
it's AMC

Breaking Bad didn't hold back any punches

as for price, it can't be more expensive than replicating the 60s as they did with Mad Men.

http://www.amc.com/shows/preacher/vi...ailer-preacher
Old 04.04.2016, 01:26 PM   #115
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am half way through Batman VS Supes and I am so BORED. It makes no sense to have a movie where Batman has been doing his thang in Gothjam for 2 decades and the world just now heard of Superman?

Every ten minutes watching Supes vs bats I experience something so stupid and insensible that I die a little inside....
Old 04.05.2016, 09:51 AM   #116
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Doomsday is in this movie? Why?
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2016, 09:59 AM   #117
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am half way through Batman VS Supes and I am so BORED. It makes no sense to have a movie where Batman has been doing his thang in Gothjam for 2 decades and the world just now heard of Superman?

Every ten minutes watching Supes vs bats I experience something so stupid and insensible that I die a little inside....

Wow. That's a strong reaction. I did not feel that way at all.

But I wasn't expecting great filmmaking. I was expecting to see flashes of some of my favorite comic books on screen. That's what I saw. A few too many of them actually.

for a project that made little to no sense from day 1 (LEARN YOUR LESSON FROM THIS, ASSHOLES, AND JUST MAKE A PROPER SEQUEL NEXT TIME) it managed to exceed almost all of my expectations. I mean, fucking Ben Affleck as Batman? A "World's Finest" versus film? Why? Anyway, I wish it had been entirely isolated from any previous or upcoming films, but that's not the case. It's irrevocably connected now. But still, I had a fine time watching it and anyone who thinks it's some kind of new low for superhero movies has not been paying attention to, y'know... superhero movies. Come on, Age of Ultron? Or christ, Fant4stic? Or the other F4 movies? Or all the Spider-man movies? What about the X-men movies? All pure gobs of shit.

it is kind of a bummer though. This is already having an effect on Suicide Squad, which is making re-shoots to inject more comedy into the film.

Whatever, moving on. Where's my Dark Knight blu-ray?
Old 04.05.2016, 10:09 AM   #118
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Doomsday is in this movie? Why?

Because NOOOOO!!! and whatnot. Also, because the logic behind the premise of the film was to throw so much stuff that every DC fan would feel a need to go see it.

Part of me feels like Doomsday was in the film because the studio wanted to satisfy the teeming masses of snobby fucks who hate Superman and want to see him get hurt. Cast a big enough net, maybe you'll catch some fish.

Doomsday was actually pretty goddamn cool in the movie, but he shouldn't have been in it. Yes, I've wanted to see him for as long as I've wanted to see Bane. If only for simple curiosity about how it would be done. But sadly, even though this film did the character's destructive power justice, it didn't end up serving the story. It ended up killing the story.

Tom Hardy was a good Bane. I don't care if nobody agrees. He was chilling, and succeeded in not being cheesy and stupid. Dark Knight Rises was a good film. If only Christopher Nolan wasn't an actual, like, filmmaker... with, like, a personal investment in the quality of his art... maybe HE could have been the one manning the controls for the new cinematic Superman. He was an executive producer for BvS, but his style isn't felt in the film the way it was, sort of, in Man of Steel. I get why he didn't want to be in charge of the DC universe, though. He approached Batman like it was not a comic book film. That's why he did such an excellent job. Now he's off to make more cerebral period pieces and cerebral sci-fi and cerebral psych-thrillers. I wish him the best.
Old 04.05.2016, 10:12 AM   #119
Severian
invito al cielo

All time favorite superhero movies:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Man of Steel
3. Batman Begins
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Whatever sucks the least, or feels the most novel and exciting in the moment. Probably Deadpool right now. But whatever. Subject to change.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth