Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best BBC sessions?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.23.2012, 05:25 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think he lost some of his importance once Grunge and Britpop hit the mainstream in the mid 90s, being forced to celebrate a kind of obscurity-for-its-own-sake in an effort simply to stay relevant. Kershaw became more interesting for me because he was more willing to look further afield and wasn't so bound to Peel's ultimately quite post-punk-inspired idea of what cutting edge contemporary music 'should' be. But as you say, that's not to undermine his enormous importance overall. Although by the time he started championing The White Stripes I'd pretty much given up on him altogether.

Not in the same league in terms of significance, but I've always thought Janice Long has been quite overlooked; she played a vital role boosting those bands that weren't quite marginal enough for Peel but which (at that time, anyway) weren't mainstream enough for the daytime playlist, groups like The The, etc who might've otherwise found themselves lost in that massive no-mans-land that existed during the 80s, between Peel and Simon Bates. (Although, as KIS mentions, David Kid Jensen was also pretty good in that regard).

I think Peel's influence in using the live session was pretty important. And, like everyone, Peel was a massive influence on me growing up.

But yeah, I think this idea that he was the only person, even within the BBC, who did good sessions, is a bit narrow. In my time when I tuned into radio 1 (I can't have listened to it more than a handful of times since Peel's passing) there was people like Lamacq and Wiley (later just Lamacq), Annie Nightingale, Kershaw, Mary-Anne Hobbs, Mark and Lard, Westwood, Chris Goldfinger, Fabio & Grooverider... further afield on radio 3 there's shows like Late Junction, Mixing it and World routes, 2 regular jazz shows and live concerts most evenings. I'm pretty sure Bob Harris still has some worthwhile sessions on radio 2 (it's been years since I tuned in) and I know that Radio 6 has a lot (though I never listen to it). Sessions are a pretty critical part of radio culture.

I think the thing that people need to remember about Peel's sessions is that there was one every night - for every great one (Monkey Steals the Drum) there was at least one shoddy one (Isla's Set) and one alright one by a band that were forgotten in 10 minutes (Miss Black America).

I love BBC radio, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2012, 04:08 AM   #42
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss

anyway...don't you function on any kind of level everyone else does here? pleh eht sselemoh.

Well, I think I donīt. As I said, I spend very little time in the internet. And in the gossibs there seem to be some "rules" that I just donīt understand.

I have been kind of "lonely wolf" all my life, but I donīt have a lots of problems when being with the other people face to face.

My function to be here is to talk SY and other music. I think many have some other functions too. It seems thereīs competitions eveywhere these days. If I have understood correct, hereīs also reputation list and people get higher if they get much replies. And some people seem to want be on the first places (maybe they are not serious?). To me that list is just the same, I just want to talk about music.

When I started here, I didnīt get much replies. Well I have had some, but always when I have answered maybe four times, the other one had stopped answering. Maybe thatīs one of the "Rules": donīt answer same guy too many times. Anyway, if you think Iīm very irritated person, you donīt have to answer me. Iīm still going to make some writings about my fav artists. No-one have to read them, itīs just fun to me to write.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2012, 10:02 AM   #43
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
I don't have a rich dad, but I'm sure most credit card companies will refund you any money if yr card is used fradulently. As long as you have good internet security and are careful when you log into sites then you should be ok anyway and it will protect you if you are using mozilla, internet explorer or chrome... it sounds like you are ultra paranoid! there's crimanals everywhere, does that stop you using yr credit card in shops etc...?
Maybe Iīm paranoid, but I think you are really naive, if you think most of the people just want good to you (donīt ever for example just use you) or that some company automatically help you if youīre in problems with the internet. If I went to the sites that some browser had warned me and then somebody got my credit card number and used it, I donīt believe my credit card company automatically pays the bill, specially when itīs known explorer has the lowest safety. I donīt know is it possible (because I know almost nothing about computer world) to have my credit card number if I go somewhere wrong site and afterwards buy something from the internet, but I have doubts it is. Of course I have internet security, but I donīt know does my credit card company accept the anti-virus program I use. And yes, I use very little credit card, in the internet only if I canīt get some album from my retailer or any shop from Finland. I rather be too careful than not careful at all.

There has been news for some time ago, that many Finnish people credit card numbers were used wrong in the USA. And itīs not just credit card numbers, there was also news about Facebook, that had used itīs customers information wrong way...this is the world today!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2012, 02:39 PM   #44
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
I liked the old BBC sessions thread a lot better.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2012, 02:55 PM   #45
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
korn
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2012, 03:03 PM   #46
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
^ yeah that one's good too
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2012, 12:48 PM   #47
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth - 1986 Peel Session http://youtu.be/dGGlcQSggRg

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2012, 01:21 PM   #48
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I liked the old BBC sessions thread a lot better.

you must spread some nostalgia around before you give it to Hipster bebop junkie again.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth