Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Arab style music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.04.2007, 05:09 AM   #21
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I made a crap quality video with my webcam where I play a solo in Arabic scale in the style of Killing an arab:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a72l3w
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2007, 05:11 AM   #22
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
Does it really, though?

I can find all those notes with my minimal knowledge of natural minor scale.

I think it's the flamenco style that makes it seem a little bit Moorish.

Seconded on the recommendation of Savage Republic for Alien Anal. And not just the first album, although it is my favorite, too. All Savage Republic has that Middle East texture to it.

The guitarist Bruce Licher once told my friend that he restringed his guitar so that there were six of the same exact guage of string, and then he set each to a middle C. My friend tried it and told me that no matter what he did, it had the same chimey sound as a Savage Republic song. So I tried it, and guess what...IT WORKS!

Just playing random fretwork resulted in rad SR-style sounds.

I'm actually gonna try that; which gauge did you go with?

Oh, and yeah... Ceremonial's probably my favourite actually, but a little less Arabic-tinged I guess.
Old 04.04.2007, 06:51 PM   #23
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Try Richard Bishop's solo stuff as well as Torch of the Mystics by Sun City Girls.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2007, 07:26 PM   #24
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Not arab per se, but a good "jazz" record combining oud, tablas and saxophone, sometimes individually. There's at least one solo song by each, it's one of my favorites when high, but you've got to be able to stand Garbarek's sax tone, which is okay on this record. Some of his other stuff on the other hand is quite new age-y. It's an acquired taste, like most stuff on ECM

FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 01:09 AM   #25
el duderino
bad moon rising

el duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoop
Not arab per se, but a good "jazz" record combining oud, tablas and saxophone, sometimes individually. There's at least one solo song by each, it's one of my favorites when high, but you've got to be able to stand Garbarek's sax tone, which is okay on this record. Some of his other stuff on the other hand is quite new age-y. It's an acquired taste, like most stuff on ECM

I've never been able to get Jan Garbarek, I listened to Twelve Moons but it just sounded too 80's with the over the top synths and drum sound , and his almost smooth jazz tone. Does this album sound as overly produced? Cos I love the idea of middle eastern jazz, especially Duke Ellington's Far East Suite, and am curious about this cd.
el duderino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 01:56 PM   #26
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
If you want to pick up vocal riffs, I'd highly recommend anything by the Lebanese singer Fairuz. Demonrail666 turned me onto her, and her stuff is simply gorgeous.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth