Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page experimental jet set
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.11.2007, 12:48 AM   #1
iminsane
little trouble girl

iminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud of
i hate half of the songs (skink, screaming skull, selfobsessed and sexxee, bone, waist, tokyo eye, in the mind of the bourgeois reader)

i love the other half (winners blues, bull in the heather, starfield road, androgynous mind, quest for the cup, doctors orders, sweet shine)

what does everyone think of this one?
iminsane is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 01:22 AM   #2
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminsane
i hate half of the songs (skink, screaming skull, selfobsessed and sexxee, bone, waist, tokyo eye, in the mind of the bourgeois reader)

i love the other half (winners blues, bull in the heather, starfield road, androgynous mind, quest for the cup, doctors orders, sweet shine)

what does everyone think of this one?

half of the songs you hate, I love ("Screaming Skull", "Self Obsessed and Sexxee", "Waist")

half of the songs you love, I love ("Winners Blues", "Starfield Road", "Androgynous Mind")

I don't hate any of it, but a lot of the songs I wish they would have spent a little more time finishing rather than trying to be Guided by Voices (which they out and out admited at the time). I was glad when they followed it up with Washing Machine, which is 15 times better, and got back to trying to be Sonic Youth instead.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:10 AM   #3
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
I was really disapointed when I first listened to it and now I think it's just okay. Nothing great at all though.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:14 AM   #4
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I love the whole album. Got it on vinyl before the cd came out.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:15 AM   #5
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
When I heard it I thought it was amazing. I don't know why people don't like it. But it is such a terrific album.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:19 AM   #6
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I like it that is not a typical Sonic Youth album, they have plenty of 60 minute plus albums with minutes of noise, and self-indulgent weirdness (which seems to be what everyone loves since that's not really what's on EJSTNS). This is more of just a short, I hesitate to say, punk rock album. Them just rocking out and having a good time.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:23 AM   #7
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah that's what I like about the album, it is not their usual. I hate it when bands don't give credit to bands, because they are expanding.
Old 01.11.2007, 02:23 AM   #8
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I recall seeing them open a show with Skink in '95 and it was awesome.

I dunno, just always liked it, never really had to grow on me or anything.

Not the biggest fan of Bull In The Heather, but it was quite cool hearing it on the radio at the time with all those string scrapes and behind the bridge strums and shit.

Isn't this their highest charting album? I seem to recall it being really high up there on the billboard charts or some shit.

It seems that this and NYG&F are the least liked sy albums, NYG&F being my least favorite.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:47 AM   #9
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
it remains one of the most ambitious albums in their catalog, it's a kind sloppy beginning to what was coming in the late 90s

i have been doing alot of editing of the pages on wikipedia, and the use of the Grunge term is thrown around a bit too much(mentioned on 4 album pages, including some guy named Nirvana2764, who called it the last of the grunge trilogy) it's getting really annoying

Kim recently in an interview said it was her least favorite album, it's weird cause her songs are the best thing on there, and out-writes Thurston

one thing i have been thinking about for the last 2 months is could Jet Set have been better if you removed some of Thurston's Jet Set songs (Winner's Blues is him alone anyway) and replace with songs like Cindy (Rotten Tanx), Patti Smith Math Scratch, and Psychic Hearts, certainly the album would have been improved, but would it have been worth it and not to have the Psychic Hearts album at all

it's my favorite and most intriguing period of the Band and yet they played only show the whole year, it was a year of what could have beens, and what wasn't

they could have had the cover of Spin magazine, then that was canceled, they were also pegged as a co-headliner on the Lollapalooza tour

very unique time: child-birth, side projects, and yeah a top 40 album

oh, and i am starting the album is better then Dirty, so yeah i like it alot
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:53 AM   #10
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

I think it is them at their most experimental stage.
Old 01.11.2007, 07:25 AM   #11
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
I remember seeing it at the mall before I bought it and thinking it was really soft and laid back album. Judging by the album cover, and hearing the first track. Turned out alot different then that. Good album though. I loooooove Sweet Shine
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 07:40 AM   #12
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia

i have been doing alot of editing of the pages on wikipedia, and the use of the Grunge term is thrown around a bit too much(mentioned on 4 album pages, including some guy named Nirvana2764, who called it the last of the grunge trilogy) it's getting really annoying

I love you.It always annoyed me no end when people refer to Dirty or EJSTNS as their grunge albums because most of the thought that went into them your Stone Temple Pilotses or Soundgardes would have never been able to achieve in three lifetimes.This is not to mention that stylistically and purely in terms of music,those records don't share much with 'the grunge sound' apart from some of the clothes that the band were wearing at the time.Lazy,leechy journalists perpetuated this garbage for way too long.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 08:39 AM   #13
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
i like it. very simple but very catchy.
especially kims songs.
sweet shine is one of her best songs.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 09:41 AM   #14
James Blonde
bad moon rising

James Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard sucka
James Blonde constantly forgets to listen this album and when she does listen it, finds that being rather okey music for Sonic Youth standards.
Tokyo Eye is excellent.
James Blonde is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 10:29 AM   #15
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I think it is a very weird, very great LP. Skink is fantastic, so eerie, like distant ambivalent eyes. Tokyo Eye, Doctor's Orders, Sweet Shine, Bull in the Heather... a lot of good stuff. An odd, bleak album. Intriguing. I prefer it to Goo and Dirty.
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 01:27 PM   #16
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I like most of the songs, I don't like production on most of them, though.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 01:59 PM   #17
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
i agree about the production i dont like butch vig or anything hes recorded with any band, i dont like ejstans, i always think of it as just throw away.
soapbars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 02:14 PM   #18
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Androgynous mind sounds like a Psychic Hearts song, and it's not my favorite. I love screaming skull though, and Doctor's Orders and sweet shine are both in my top 5 kim songs
Old 01.11.2007, 04:31 PM   #19
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand why everybody seems to dislike huge chunks of this album. It's amazing!
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2007, 04:32 PM   #20
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I like the songs Skink and Bones. they sound super bluesy.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth