The Intimates 1 14.29%
The Four Seasons 2 28.57%
Ronnie Dove/Terry Philips 2 28.57%
Roberta Williams 1 14.29%
Donnie Burks 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.27.2007, 01:40 PM   #1
sarramkrop

Your favourite bands Reed played in or co-wrote for, pre-Velvet Underground. A poll is on the way.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 01:47 PM   #2
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus... I feel so ignorant. I'm pathetic.
Old 04.27.2007, 01:53 PM   #3
sarramkrop

You must know at least The Primitives' The Ostrich as that appears on countless bootlegs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 02:32 PM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
No, sorry to say. I have only one VU boot, the Unripened thing.
Old 04.27.2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have had some not at all unenjoyable exposure to the Beachnuts.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 03:03 PM   #6
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Someone needs to YSI a mix. I've never listened to any pre VU reed.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 03:06 PM   #7
sarramkrop

I was thinking of upping an excellent Italian bootleg where i first got hold of all this stuff. With patience, i'll pm it to whoever is interested.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 12:49 AM   #8
sarramkrop

Pookie, i won the battle for the least popular poll in the history of this message board's polls. I'm the only one who voted, call yourselves Velvet Underground fans, damnit!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 12:51 AM   #9
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I m interested in hearing this Porky.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 02:36 AM   #10
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard lots of Cale's pre-Velvets stuff, but none of Lou's. Kind of weird that, actually.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 03:22 AM   #11
sarramkrop

http://www.badongo.com/file/2887068

1- THE JADES/LEAVE HER FOR ME
2 - THE PRIMITIVES/THE OSTRICH
3 - THE ALL NIGHT WORKERS/DON'T PULL ALL YOUR LEGS IN A BUSKET
4 - THE BEACHNUTS/CYCLE ANNIE
5 - THE INTIMATES/I'VE GOT A TIGER IN MY TANK
6 - THE ROUGHNECKS/YOU'RE DRIVING ME INSANE

The Ostrich features the first appearance (i think) of the infamous 'Ostrich Guitar'. It's a short mix but i hope you will enjoy. Many of the songs that Reed wrote for the Pickwick label were written very quickly and for a few bucks, so the actual quality is pretty throwaway, but it still serves as a document of what went on before The Velvet Underground.

More info on the records themselves can be found on here:
http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/prevu/lrprevu.html
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 08:54 AM   #12
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Wow! This was an eye opener for me. I didn't know about anything of this stuff. The badongo link isn't working by the way...
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 08:57 AM   #13
sarramkrop

The link is working fine, just checked it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 08:59 AM   #14
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
well crap on me then, must be my computer...
Old 04.28.2007, 09:01 AM   #15
sarramkrop

Wait for the countdown to finish and enter the code in capital letters.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 09:02 AM   #16
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Wish I could get that far...

Quote:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Old 04.28.2007, 09:16 AM   #17
sarramkrop

It's your pc, then. Try later.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 09:57 AM   #18
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the link.

From wiki:

The ad hoc group, called The Primitives, included John Cale, who had recently come to the city to study music and was playing with the composer La Monte Young. Cale was surprised to find that for the novelty song, Reed tuned each string of his guitar to the same note. This technique created a drone effect similar to that which Cale's avant garde ensemble had been experimenting with.

Is that true or is it just bullshit?
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 10:03 AM   #19
sarramkrop

Yes, that's true. Conrad and Cale joined the group after they were spotted at a party because of their long hair, which was considered hip back then. I can't remember the name of the person who did, but he worked for the Pickwick label and he took them into a recording studio where they met Lou Reed.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 08:48 AM   #20
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Man, the link still won't work. This sucks.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth