Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thoughts on "Noise Doll"?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2007, 04:31 PM   #1
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm probably way behind on this (I never listened that close to "Sentimental Education" when it came out, but now I'm addicted to it), but has anyone ever paid attention to the lyrics of "Noise Doll"? I almost crapped myself out of shock last night when I actually listened to the lyrics:

She brushed her teeth and shook her head
"No, mommy, I don't want bed.
I want to watch a video please."
"It's time to sleep on a cloud," I said.
We read some books, she shook her head.
Sang some songs, turned down the light.
She stood up in bed and held me tight.
Then rocked the crib with all her might.

"More more more more more more more more more more more more!
I want more more more more more more more more more more more more more more!
I want more more more mor mor mo mo mo mo mo ma ma ma ma!
Mama mama mama mama mama mama mama!
Mama mama mama mama mama mama mama!
Mama mama mama mama mama mama mama!"

GET IT OFF!! GET IT OFF!! GET IT OFF ME!!!

So anyway, I just thought it was a brilliant "true" look at motherhood. But do you think this song is directed at young girls who want to have a baby, not realizing that it won't just be this adorable living doll, and that it's gonna take over their lives? Or is it maybe autobiographical (in which case I wouldn't think she was a bad mother or anything--all mothers get stretched to that limit at some point, and I just think it's cool that someone actually wrote about "the dark side," cause usually all you hear is about "what a blessing it is," and blah blah blah). Just wondering...
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth