Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.14.2011, 12:30 PM   #14561
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I'll get shit for this, but I just didn't find Blue Velvet all that compelling. I quite enjoyed Twin Peaks, but BV just didn't do it for me.
Old 04.14.2011, 12:35 PM   #14562
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I think this is my favorite of the original trilogy. Though its tough to say.

Mine as well. I was too young to appreciate the first movie, and the third one was just shit in my opinion. I caught this one on TV and just remembered it being an enjoyable movie. And it was!
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 01:01 PM   #14563
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
Mine as well. I was too young to appreciate the first movie, and the third one was just shit in my opinion. I caught this one on TV and just remembered it being an enjoyable movie. And it was!

I loved the first two when they came out.

The first was a lot like one of the issues of the graphic novel. That was great. But the 2nd was just really really fun. Almost more like the cartoon.

The third was basically stupid.
Old 04.14.2011, 10:21 PM   #14564
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Child's Play: 5/10. It was alright but not the best to me
Old 04.14.2011, 10:42 PM   #14565
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses

Crappy movie, had to stop it half way it basically said that the only accepted form of being gay is being bisexual.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2011, 01:32 AM   #14566
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.15.2011, 02:41 AM   #14567
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Blue Velvet rules.

Basket Case rules -- Henenlotter is probably the only perfect filmmaker. As in, all 6 of his films are perfect. BRAIN DAMAGE is the shit. Big inspiration.

The Shining rules, though isn't it a bit obvious Nicholson is insane from the first frame? The atmosphere makes the movies.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2011, 02:42 AM   #14568
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
btw, scream 4 came out today. Isn't it funny that if you hold down shift when you hit "4", it says "Scream $"?

Old 04.15.2011, 04:24 AM   #14569
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

As clever as the original (arguably more), and as cool as Scream 2. My new favorite in the franchise. It was amazing. Go see it.

I'm going to watch it in theaters again soon. I liked it that much. So nice to see a solid sequel to a mainstream horror franchise - it's been waaaay too long. A fine example of Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson at the top of their games.

Hayden Panettiere deserves to be worshipped. She completely stole every scene that she was in (even against fellow goddess Neve Campbell). Oh, and there's this one line her character, Kirby, delivers that made me legitimately fall in love with a fictional character. If you know me even in the slightest, you'll know exactly which one when you hear it. I demand that she become a scream queen. She's not even fair.

10/10
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2011, 04:52 AM   #14570
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

is the line "FUCK BRUCE WILLIS"?

Old 04.15.2011, 04:56 AM   #14571
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

hahaha has anyone been on FRANCOIS TRUFFAUT's wiki lately?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Truffaut

This is hilarious and kinda random and has been on the wiki for a long time, whoever edited it is great (even though I find 100% worth in Godard's work and almost dislike everything Truffaut has ever made)...

In 1973, Jean-Luc Godard accused Truffaut of making a movie that was a “lie,” and Truffaut replied with a 20-page letter in which he nailed Godard for being the incredible radical-chic hypocrite he had become, a man who believed everyone to be “equal” in theory only. The two never saw each other again.

THE INCREDIBLE RADICAL-CHIC HYPOCRITE!

In other news, can you believe Godard is almost 81 and still making great films? He has made great films for 54 (!) years. Doesn't that technically make him, like, the best director ever? I mean, really. I can't think of a director who comes close... maybe Lumet.. Lumet made many many great films over the course of 50 years. Man. Crazy, kinda.

Old 04.15.2011, 05:05 AM   #14572
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

A few replies here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
As punk rock as cinema gets, IMO.

I like that. BASKET CASE is definitely a "punk rock" film, especially in the completely awful (in a good way) stop motion of Belial. I was OBSESSED with Henenlotter back in the day. I still credit him as one of my biggest inspirations -- a very smart guy. We're "friends" on "Facebook", and he actually responds to msg's. I ask him random ass shit, even. Like "When you worked for SOMETHING WEIRD, what was your favorite of 'Henenlotter's Sexy Shockers'?" You know, his re-release video label that put out like 200 movies (which reminds me, isn't SOMETHING WEIRD such a crazy company? They have very very few "Hit" films -- maybe some of the H.G. Lewis stuff -- yet they just keep trekking on; when other DVD companies fail, they get even stronger. They must cater to a very very specific demographic. That reminds me -- what is everyone's favorite SW DVD? I'll go with GORE GORE GIRLS....). Cool dude.

Trying to think of a film that's more "punk rock". Eh.. street Trash and Slime City come close. New York! I dunno. I'll think about this one. SLIME CITY is a classic, btw. Just amazing.

One thing about BASKET CASE... you know the beginning when they first enter NY and that guy goes up to him and is like "YOU WANT SOME HEROIN? COKE?" etc etc? Is that a Taxi Driver reference? (the guy with the gun who says he can get this and that and the other; the line is very very similiar to that one) It has to be. Ah, if only NY was still like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
I'll get shit for this, but I just didn't find Blue Velvet all that compelling. I quite enjoyed Twin Peaks, but BV just didn't do it for me.

I want to go further with this one. I find Lynch somewhat overrated all in all, which isn't to say I dislike him or anything... quite the contrary -- LOST HIGHWAY was a film I saw in its theatrical engagement, I actually had to have a family member take me to another city to see it because it wasn't playing here.. I had been a fan of THE PERFECT DRUG video/song, you see, haha... anyway, this film completely blew my mind, and I've been a fan ever since; specifically his early short films like THE GRANDMOTHER.. then, ERASERHEAD, STRAIGHT STORY, and TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME seems like a pretty perfect trifecta of all of his strengths in filmmaking... those 3 definitely seem like "perfect films" to me... though he hasn't shown much growth since FIRE WALK WITH ME, and as much as I like LOST HIGHWAY, it feels kinda like an artistic deadend. His last 3 films have been extremely similiar in theme, ideas, characters, even titles (all named after a place). That's not to say I don't find things to like about them, but let's face it, here's a guy who has made like 10 films in like 40 years (!). And he hasn't made anything good since MULHOLLAND (though "Rabbits" and "Dumbland", while minor works, are pretty neat in their simplicity). Jesus, have you seen of his recent shorts, like BOAT, DARKENED ROOM, etc? Just awful. Completely awful. So, anyway, I like Lynch, and I wanted to point out your quote in particular because of "I'll get shit for this." Indeed. Even as a FAN of Lynch, any time I criticize him to some of my friends, they get pissy. Though some have come around. Haha. He seems to be one of those sacred idols, that is above criticism... to many many people. Whatever.

Anywho, I think BLUE VELVET works because of its simplicity. I actually think Lynch works best with simple stories -- his strongest moments are when he injects things that are simple with a bit of absurdity. His out-and-out "experimental" works -- aside from his first 3 short films -- don't always work for me, I think INLAND EMPIRE is pure shit (though it took me many many watches to come to that conclusion). Just improvised crap, he shot 55 hours (!) of footage for it and that's the best 4 1/2 hours (counting "MORE THINGS THAT HAPPENED") he could come up with?

Anyway

9/10

Old 04.15.2011, 05:35 AM   #14573
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

more funny wiki shit..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Waltz#Drug_use

Drug use

Scorsese has admitted that during this period, he was using cocaine heavily.[12] Drugs were present in large quantities during the concert. Backstage, a room was painted white and decorated with noses from plastic masks while an audio tape of sniffing noises played in the background.[10] A large blob of cocaine hanging from Neil Young's nose was edited out in post-production through rotoscoping.

That last sentence... oh man.

BTW, has anyone seen To Vlemme Tou Odyssea? Aka ULYSESSS GAZE? Oh man. What a movie. 4 hours long of Harvey Keitel walking around. Seriously. I'm not exaggerating. It's just him walking around and occasionally muttering "poetic" dialogue under his breath (on a 30 minute sequence of him staring out a train window, he says at one point something about a "frightened lizard slithered under the crust of the cosmos" and then doesn't say anything else for about an hour). There's a good 25 minute sequence of a boat pulling into a harbor, with nothing else happening to engage the audience on any sort of level.

My favorite quote in it was Keitel asking "is this Sarajevo?" How could it not be? Why would you even ask that?!

All in all, definitely one of the best films I've ever seen. Not really. I dunno. It had a few cool shots. I'm a pretty patient viewer, you know. I have sat through many slow-moving long arthouse films and whatnot. I don't have any problem with that kinda stuff, obviously. But man. You want to talk about a movie with almost notihng going on. I guess I like that the director obviously doesn't give a fuck about his audience -- you don't see that too often. Still, the film itself is not exactly noteworthy or radical in any meaningful way, it's just empty and bland....

I guess the director won the Grand Jury Prize at Cannes for this film. He took the statue and said "Heh. THis is all I'm getting for this movie?" and threw it down and walked out of the building and hasn't been back since. That's probably the coolest thing about the entire movie.

Old 04.15.2011, 06:41 AM   #14574
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Child's Play: 5/10. It was alright but not the best to me

Child's Play 2 is my favorite. I really liked Bride, and Seed of Chucky too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Basket Case is definitely my favorite Hennenlotter film. Frankenhooker comes in a close second though. His stuff is extremely inspiring, I agree.

Something Weird is a really cool company. My favorite releases are Monsters Crash the Pajama Party, and the Chesty Morgan double feature.

David Lynch created Eraserhead. He deserves his fanbase. He can be as up his own ass with his finger-wiggling, and quirky weather reports as he wants, with a masterwork like that in his filmography.

EDIT - Just watched BOAT and DARKENED ROOM ... pretty awful.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2011, 07:15 AM   #14575
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

As clever as the original (arguably more), and as cool as Scream 2. My new favorite in the franchise. It was amazing. Go see it.

I'm going to watch it in theaters again soon. I liked it that much. So nice to see a solid sequel to a mainstream horror franchise - it's been waaaay too long. A fine example of Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson at the top of their games.

Hayden Panettiere deserves to be worshipped. She completely stole every scene that she was in (even against fellow goddess Neve Campbell). Oh, and there's this one line her character, Kirby, delivers that made me legitimately fall in love with a fictional character. If you know me even in the slightest, you'll know exactly which one when you hear it. I demand that she become a scream queen. She's not even fair.

10/10

you just made me so happy Joe.
Old 04.15.2011, 07:34 AM   #14576
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.15.2011, 08:04 AM   #14577
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses

been ages since I have watched this still great

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2011, 08:46 AM   #14578
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

xxx

Old 04.15.2011, 08:47 AM   #14579
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
EDIT - Just watched BOAT and DARKENED ROOM ... pretty awful.

I know, right? He has done probably 10 of these DV things in the past few years. Just horrible shit. I don't even mind the weather reports and all that (and in fact, I have them all on DVD, hahaha).

Anyway..

LANDSCAPE IN THE MIST - 9/10

I watched this a second time. OWNING MAHOWNY.. great fucking movie. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is probably my favorite actor next to Keitel... his performances in HAPPINESS, LOVE LIZA (which is a 10/10 imo), BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, FLAWLESS, PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, and many many other films are basically what makes those films so great.

I really REALLY want to reccomend LOVE LIZA to you all. What a fucking film.

Old 04.15.2011, 09:05 AM   #14580
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah I really think Lynch's DV shorts are garbage. I couldn't even get thru that whole Dynamic DVD he put out. Too bad. Good thing Inland Empire was good.
629679719726727728 729 7307317327397798291229 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth