Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MATH ROCK
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2008, 08:07 AM   #41
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
totally forgot colossamite and dazzling killmen.

they're both like jazzy noise rock or something... but they fit.

nah they don't
this is noisy rock/post hardcore
pretty violent
this Sakes boy is....angry

now people
what about PROTONOISE
who would care to elaborate on the PROTO thing?
huh?
he he
Old 07.15.2008, 08:11 AM   #42
sarramkrop

You start a thread about math rock and you don't even know what you're talking about. Are you mad?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 08:14 AM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Dazzling Killmen were one of the most accomplished 1990s math rock bands, combining a punk-inspired noisy ruckus with jazzy Sun Ra-type intelligence and complex arrangements.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 08:16 AM   #44
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You start a thread about math rock and you don't even know what you're talking about. Are you mad?
twat

i know all there is to know about MATHROCK
so i can TEACH YOU if you like

There are LOADS of other types/genres of music i have no clue about for sure

now i'm asking about PROTOBLAH
of which i have no clue about
but i'd like to know
like Polvo for instance were often refered to as PROTONOISE
i'm not saying it's interesting

twat
Old 07.15.2008, 08:19 AM   #45
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
protonoise? never heard that one...

Old 07.15.2008, 08:20 AM   #46
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Dazzling Killmen were one of the most accomplished 1990s math rock bands, combining a punk-inspired noisy ruckus with jazzy Sun Ra-type intelligence and complex arrangements.

nah they are many degrees of separation between what i see/ hear as mathrock and dazzling killmen or even more so colossamite which are both kool bands in their own right.
For some reason, TO ME , mathrock is instrumental and not especially violent.

but once again music genres and subgenres are bullshit at the end of the day.
Old 07.15.2008, 08:25 AM   #47
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
twat

i know all there is to know about MATHROCK
so i can TEACH YOU if you like

There are LOADS of other types/genres of music i have no clue about for sure

now i'm asking about PROTOBLAH
of which i have no clue about
but i'd like to know
like Polvo for instance were often refered to as PROTONOISE
i'm not saying it's interesting

twat

First you call Shellac, Paul Newman, June of 44 and Uzeda etc math rock, and then you call me a twat when I'm clearly being a CUNT to you. Now now.....
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 08:27 AM   #48
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
what the fuck is protonoise? like nihilist spasm band? no theyre just improv noise. the godz then? nope. explain, what is protonoise? i mean, if the music is noise, its gotta be noise, correct?

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 08:42 AM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

"proto" is an interesting term at least.

Old 07.15.2008, 08:45 AM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i like and own a lot of math rock albums. good stuff to smoke to.
Old 07.15.2008, 08:54 AM   #51
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
First you call Shellac, Paul Newman, June of 44 and Uzeda etc math rock, and then you call me a twat when I'm clearly being a CUNT to you. Now now.....
stop making a twat of yourself
i explained myself on the Shellac mention (read the xhole thread)
Paul Newman yes of course, it's coherent
I didn't call June of 44 or Shipping News math rock bceause imo, they're not, Others did.
and well Uzeda or so related to Don Cab i had to mention it although you're right, the siniging is prominenet and well it's more noise rock than math if you ask me, but i would shelve Uzeda records right next to Don Cab and Bellini so yeah

cunt cunt
Old 07.15.2008, 08:55 AM   #52
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
i like and own a lot of math rock albums. good stuff to smoke to.

he he
Old 07.15.2008, 08:55 AM   #53
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
"proto" is an interesting term at least.
proto...type i guess, but why prototype, like it's experimental or....???
Old 07.15.2008, 08:57 AM   #54
sarramkrop

Quote:
stop making a twat of yourself
i explained myself on the Shellac mention (read the xhole thread)
Paul Newman yes of course, it's coherent
I didn't call June of 44 or Shipping News math rock bceause imo, they're not, Others did.
and well Uzeda or so related to Don Cab i had to mention it although you're right, the siniging is prominenet and well it's more noise rock than math if you ask me, but i would shelve Uzeda records right next to Don Cab and Bellini so yeah

cunt cunt

Maths doing your head in, eh?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 08:58 AM   #55
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

the inside of my ass crack itches.

Old 07.15.2008, 08:58 AM   #56
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
what the fuck is protonoise? like nihilist spasm band? no theyre just improv noise. the godz then? nope. explain, what is protonoise? i mean, if the music is noise, its gotta be noise, correct?

Luigi Russolo?

(in any case, if anyone is supposed to be described as protonoise, it should be in principle guys like him...)
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 09:33 AM   #57
greedrex
invito al cielo

i swear i heard this protonoise thing a few times

PROTOPUNK
you must have heard this before , no?
Old 07.15.2008, 09:43 AM   #58
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
PROTOPUNK
you must have heard this before , no?

yes, i heard it for the Electric Eels and Rocket From The Tombs... and probably others...

you can add the proto- prefix to anything, but then probably comes endless discussions about what can be qualified as proto, who was first, etc...

Quote:
Etymology
From Ancient Greek πρωτο- (proto-), combination form of πρώτος (protos), “‘first’”), superlative of προ (pro), “‘before’”).

Prefix

proto-
  1. Used to make words in which it has the meaning "first".
  2. (linguistics) Used to form the name of the hypothetical ancestor of a family of languages.Proto-Indo-European is the ancestor of the Indo-European languages.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 10:03 AM   #60
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
bellini the painter was allright

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth