Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Emir Kusturica's "Underground"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.24.2009, 09:36 PM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses

OK, so two provisos here. 1) These are opinions pretty much fresh from seeing the film, and thus knowing me apt to change significantly following time to ruminate. 2) It' late, and I'll spell check it all the morning. I'm tired as hell right now. 3) This review will definitely end up being really unsatisfying to me because it simply could never convey just the sheer level of ground that this film covers, or how hilarious it is, or how tragic, or how perfectly its surrealist aspects are executed. 4) This may well come across as something of a hyperbolic splurge, but I really liked the film OK? With those things in mind:

"Marco, you lie so beautifully!"

I have this ongoing project with my cousin where we introduce each other to films that are essential to our very being, and the latest that she passed on may well be a film that will forever remain one of my all time favourites. At the very least, I feel it will stand as one of those films by which I can divide my experience as a cinema lover (hell, maybe as a person) into "before I saw Underground" and "after I saw Underground". To explain exactly why is extremely difficult without spoiling too much of the film, especially because the film takes a radically different turn around 1 hour in that I want to preserve as much as possible. In fact, I would generally say that this is very much a film that benefits from knowing as little going in as is possible, so if you're willing to just take a recommendation then just stop reading now and go and watch it immediately! For those of you who need a little bit more convincing, I'll try, although seriously, avoid reading too much else about it.

The film is, in the simplest terms, the blackly comic story of two best friends, Marko and Blacky (and to an extent one of their brothers, Ivan), and the joint object of their affections, Natalija, over the course of Yugoslavia's history from the beginning of WWII up until the 1992 Yugoslav wars. However, to describe at as such seems to do the film a great injustice. For one, this is a film which, at nearly 3 hours in length (from a 5 and a half hours director's cut!), is epically, ebulliently, brawlingly varied in terms of focus, tone, and anything else that you can easily pin down in a review. This is a film that opens with a horse drawn carriage rocketing across the Yugoslavian countryside followed by a blaring Baltic carnival band (who will accompany much of the films action), and then within about 10 minutes covers equal amounts of comedy and tragedy as we are shown tragic images animal corpses left by a bombing run, a heated domestic dispute, a man masturbating as his town explodes around him, another man ripping through an exposed electric wire with his teeth, proclamations of vengeance, and more that I'm sure I've forgotten already.

Over the course of it's running time, it follows its characters through numerous moments of beauty, horror and insanity as they drink heavily, fight wars, love, brawl, drink more, kidnap brides, resist torture, deal arms, drink, mourn, dance, contemplate suicide, and erm... drink more, all while flitting constantly and seamlessly between totally off the wall surrealist farce that recalls early Junet and sections of surprising lucidity and harsh brutality, all while tying it into a grand and coherent narrative statement on Yugoslavia's troubled history and eventual demise.

What struck me most about the film is that it continually pulls off this high wire act where, seemingly for the sheer love of filmmaking as much as anything else, it will trust itself off into these complete plot or stylistic diversions that give you serious cause to wonder how they're going to artfully resolve the tonal conflict, and then will go tearing back into a new direction so natural, so perfect, that you wonder how you ever doubted if it could be any other way. The way it pulls this off again and again with each new direction was so impressive that at several points I literally found myself laughing out loud, and even quietly applauding in my room, not at anything obviously funny (although this is an immensely funny film), but at the sheer cinematic audacity of it all. As a result, what could easily from the above description have been an interesting but incoherent mess ends up as a shockingly direct and incisive comment on the human condition and a very difficult period in European history.

At this point, it may seem that I'm just spewing praise without discussing any of the films specifics, this is because I earnestly want to preserve as much of it for the viewer as is possible. What I will say is that, on the political front, an extraordinary and unique part of Kusturica's genius here is that he has made what is effectively a searingly angry film about his country's history, complete with extremely heavy moments and a lot of shocking death, bloodshed and horror, that is still, fundamentally, a deeply joyous film, on a level of basic humanism. He weaves together these two elements of rage at the past and love for his people so effectively that they effectively become the same emotion, a massive punchdrunk cinematic bellow of love, nostalgia, betrayal, melancholy, laughter and anger, with each near inseparable from the other. The whole thing quickly takes on the feeling of truths so awful that the only response is laughter, and in that intersection it finds something quite profound to convey.

I would however freely admit that this is not a perfect film. One difficulty, although not necessarily a flaw as such, as was shown by the huge controversy surrounding its release, is that the political analysis it puts forward with almost every frame inevitably sacrifices some of it's validity for the sake of sheer emotiveness. Also, in the last 45 minutes or so, and especially towards the end, the film takes an increasingly surreal and bleak turn, that, although inevitable for Kusturica's purpose, is something that I'm going to have to fully consider a bit more before I really decide what I think of it. Another slight issue is that this was originally intended to be over 5 hours long, but in the end the full version was only released on Serbian television (I would LOVE to see this version). This does show at points, just in terms of characters occasionally making fairly big jumps of development very quickly and with little chance for the audience to really follow them through the process that lead them too it. This being said though, my complaints are mostly minor, and are easily overshadowed by sheer shining wonder that most of the film evokes in me, so I WHOLE HEARTEDLY recommend it.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2009, 09:38 PM   #2
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Does it got boobies?

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2009, 09:45 PM   #3
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Haha... erm not really (maybe briefly, I can't remember). It has a flower being put in a bare arse though!
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 11.24.2009, 09:46 PM   #4
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
It has a flower being put in a bare arse though!

SOLD!

Man why was this not just the title of the thread?!

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2009, 10:01 PM   #5
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

I seriously considered it.
Old 11.25.2009, 03:40 AM   #6
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
one of my top five favorite films ever, easily. too lazy/sleepy to comment on it now, though.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2009, 04:12 AM   #7
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It has a flower being put in a bare arse though!

Like in J'irai Comme Un Cheval Fou?

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2009, 04:20 AM   #8
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
One hell of a fantastic movie, this one.

For fans of it, I recommend watching: "Black cat, white cat" too.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2009, 06:48 AM   #9
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
yeah this is my favorite film, i hate franz so much,very memorable perfomance from lazar ristovski(peter popara "crni") if you like him watch bure baruta, and if you like marko watch him in the recent kustu film zavet, playing a pretty hilarious animal fucking gangster

i have no idea what the fuck you are trying to say by baltic carnival band, the whole soundtrack is slobodan salijevic and boban markovic and they aren't from the baltic and i rather doubt they go to do carnivals in their spare time :O

wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2009, 07:35 AM   #10
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Džudžilidži Buba Mara cikmi jé šúdži jé
ajlemare le romenca

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2009, 11:03 AM   #11
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
Hi, this movie is fucking awesome, bye.

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2009, 02:43 PM   #12
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
i have no idea what the fuck you are trying to say by baltic carnival band, the whole soundtrack is slobodan salijevic and boban markovic and they aren't from the baltic and i rather doubt they go to do carnivals in their spare time :O

Yeah, sorry, this came from me having written that when I'd only got 4 hours sleep the previous night and it was like 2 AM. Was meant to read 'Balkan carnival band'. Total brain failure. The carnival part just came from me knowing jack shit about what to actually call that stuff and played some of it in a carnival band when I was like 14. Again, sleep deprivation.
Old 11.25.2009, 03:05 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

OK, so two provisos here. 1) These are opinions pretty much fresh from seeing the film, and thus knowing me apt to change significantly following time to ruminate. 2) It' late, and I'll spell check it all the morning. I'm tired as hell right now. 3) This review will definitely end up being really unsatisfying to me because it simply could never convey just the sheer level of ground that this film covers, or how hilarious it is, or how tragic, or how perfectly its surrealist aspects are executed. 4) This may well come across as something of a hyperbolic splurge, but I really liked the film OK? With those things in mind:

"Marco, you lie so beautifully!"

I have this ongoing project with my cousin where we introduce each other to films that are essential to our very being, and the latest that she passed on may well be a film that will forever remain one of my all time favourites. At the very least, I feel it will stand as one of those films by which I can divide my experience as a cinema lover (hell, maybe as a person) into "before I saw Underground" and "after I saw Underground". To explain exactly why is extremely difficult without spoiling too much of the film, especially because the film takes a radically different turn around 1 hour in that I want to preserve as much as possible. In fact, I would generally say that this is very much a film that benefits from knowing as little going in as is possible, so if you're willing to just take a recommendation then just stop reading now and go and watch it immediately! For those of you who need a little bit more convincing, I'll try, although seriously, avoid reading too much else about it.

The film is, in the simplest terms, the blackly comic story of two best friends, Marko and Blacky (and to an extent one of their brothers, Ivan), and the joint object of their affections, Natalija, over the course of Yugoslavia's history from the beginning of WWII up until the 1992 Yugoslav wars. However, to describe at as such seems to do the film a great injustice. For one, this is a film which, at nearly 3 hours in length (from a 5 and a half hours director's cut!), is epically, ebulliently, brawlingly varied in terms of focus, tone, and anything else that you can easily pin down in a review. This is a film that opens with a horse drawn carriage rocketing across the Yugoslavian countryside followed by a blaring Baltic carnival band (who will accompany much of the films action), and then within about 10 minutes covers equal amounts of comedy and tragedy as we are shown tragic images animal corpses left by a bombing run, a heated domestic dispute, a man masturbating as his town explodes around him, another man ripping through an exposed electric wire with his teeth, proclamations of vengeance, and more that I'm sure I've forgotten already.

Over the course of it's running time, it follows its characters through numerous moments of beauty, horror and insanity as they drink heavily, fight wars, love, brawl, drink more, kidnap brides, resist torture, deal arms, drink, mourn, dance, contemplate suicide, and erm... drink more, all while flitting constantly and seamlessly between totally off the wall surrealist farce that recalls early Junet and sections of surprising lucidity and harsh brutality, all while tying it into a grand and coherent narrative statement on Yugoslavia's troubled history and eventual demise.

What struck me most about the film is that it continually pulls off this high wire act where, seemingly for the sheer love of filmmaking as much as anything else, it will trust itself off into these complete plot or stylistic diversions that give you serious cause to wonder how they're going to artfully resolve the tonal conflict, and then will go tearing back into a new direction so natural, so perfect, that you wonder how you ever doubted if it could be any other way. The way it pulls this off again and again with each new direction was so impressive that at several points I literally found myself laughing out loud, and even quietly applauding in my room, not at anything obviously funny (although this is an immensely funny film), but at the sheer cinematic audacity of it all. As a result, what could easily from the above description have been an interesting but incoherent mess ends up as a shockingly direct and incisive comment on the human condition and a very difficult period in European history.

At this point, it may seem that I'm just spewing praise without discussing any of the films specifics, this is because I earnestly want to preserve as much of it for the viewer as is possible. What I will say is that, on the political front, an extraordinary and unique part of Kusturica's genius here is that he has made what is effectively a searingly angry film about his country's history, complete with extremely heavy moments and a lot of shocking death, bloodshed and horror, that is still, fundamentally, a deeply joyous film, on a level of basic humanism. He weaves together these two elements of rage at the past and love for his people so effectively that they effectively become the same emotion, a massive punchdrunk cinematic bellow of love, nostalgia, betrayal, melancholy, laughter and anger, with each near inseparable from the other. The whole thing quickly takes on the feeling of truths so awful that the only response is laughter, and in that intersection it finds something quite profound to convey.

I would however freely admit that this is not a perfect film. One difficulty, although not necessarily a flaw as such, as was shown by the huge controversy surrounding its release, is that the political analysis it puts forward with almost every frame inevitably sacrifices some of it's validity for the sake of sheer emotiveness. Also, in the last 45 minutes or so, and especially towards the end, the film takes an increasingly surreal and bleak turn, that, although inevitable for Kusturica's purpose, is something that I'm going to have to fully consider a bit more before I really decide what I think of it. Another slight issue is that this was originally intended to be over 5 hours long, but in the end the full version was only released on Serbian television (I would LOVE to see this version). This does show at points, just in terms of characters occasionally making fairly big jumps of development very quickly and with little chance for the audience to really follow them through the process that lead them too it. This being said though, my complaints are mostly minor, and are easily overshadowed by sheer shining wonder that most of the film evokes in me, so I WHOLE HEARTEDLY recommend it.

enthusiasm trumps grammar man, great review, totally made me wanna see it-- especially the tv version if it can be found-- thanks.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2009, 03:44 PM   #14
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
enthusiasm trumps grammar man, great review, totally made me wanna see it-- especially the tv version if it can be found-- thanks.

Well please do. I'd like to hear more analysis. I think it's a masterpiece (although I would like to hear more opinions on the closing section, as I'm still torn about it in some ways), albeit a politically incendiary one in many ways. As far as I'm aware the TV version is unavailable. Or at the very least, Google is not rewarding me and I can find no reliable references to it having even been subtitled in English....

Edit: START LOBBYING CRITERION PEOPLE!
Old 11.25.2009, 04:36 PM   #15
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
the serbian tv version is probably just the normal movie+ 2 hours of jelen pivo ads and lepa brena gossip
Old 11.25.2009, 06:39 PM   #16
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

No, the original directors cut of the film was actually 320 minutes. When the distributors insisted that Kusturica cut it down to the theatrical version, he had the full cut shown as a mini-series on Serbian TV....
Old 11.25.2009, 07:07 PM   #17
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

it's a joke, you'll laugh once you've gone to serbia and watched tv

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth