Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth/New Haven/2/15/07
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2007, 12:44 AM   #1
guston
little trouble girl

guston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's asses
Just got back from the SY show at Toad's Place....

IT was a bit sloppy a first. Someone (Thurston I think) really bungled the first half of Mote. Other parts were a little loose. Not bad though. The show really started to take shape towards the end.

Set List:
(Not in order, and possibly incomplete)

Candle
Reena
Incinerate
Mote
World Looks Red
What a Waste
Jams Run Free
Teenage Riot
The Neutral
Pink Steam
Or

I left a little early, so I missed a couple of Encore songs.

They started the encore with The Neutral and, I gleaned from some over excited young fans in a nearby Pizza Restaurant, that they closed the Second Encore with Teenage Riot.

I hope I didn't miss XPRESSway.

Who was there? What did people think?

GUSTON
guston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 01:07 AM   #2
badmoona
empty page

badmoona has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
thought it was good show although the sighteilnes from the +18 section were tough.
was that mark ibold from pavement playing with them? where was jim o'rourke?
badmoona is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Lethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard sucka
yup, im almost 100% sure that was ibold...i remember reading he was touring with SY last year i think. i kept wondering wtf the 5th guy was, i knew it wasnt orourke.

they also played schizophrenia, kinda lackluster IMO.....Candle to open the show was awesome though..and great to hear Teenage Riot close out the night.....just wish they were louder, i could barely hear thurston singing teenage riot and the bass was overpowering the guitars.. kinda a sloppy show all around, but hey, i was glad to see them in new haven again...HUUUGE crowd too, i cant rememeber the last time i saw toads so packed

shaking hell was also played

yeah, me being short, i was stuck at the back , occasioanlly id see one of their heads , hahaaa

i consider you dumb, ignorant, and irrelevant
perhaps more than a fly, but less than a fart. a joke - !@#$%!

Death by a firing squard of ten black gay men would be too good for this shithead. - atari2600

loser retard. pothead - !@#$%!

you're a real prick for acting so daft & being so disagreeable on purpose - atari2600

On the contrary, tesla69 is idiota numero uno - atari2600
Lethrneck4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 03:06 AM   #4
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Still no Sleepin' Around. Two nights in a row! Somebody must hate playing it. It's kinda like Dripping Dream on the Nurse tour. RARELY played! And both are faves. <sigh>
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 03:35 AM   #5
breligion
little trouble girl

breligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard suckabreligion cold hard sucka
Here is a more complete/orderly set list...

Candle
Reena
Incinerate
Mote
Do You Believe In Rapture?
What A Waste
Schizophrenia
Turquoise Boy
Rats
World Looks Red
Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
Or

The Neutral

Shaking Hell
Teenage Riot

=)
breligion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 09:07 AM   #6
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for reviews!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 09:14 AM   #7
baby bulldog
bad moon rising

baby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston seemed way spaced at the outset...bungled the intro to Incinerate,and seemed lost during Mote.... the long noise outro to Mote saved the night,cuz after that they really hit their stride.The atmosphere on stage seemed rather "snippy",and I believe this made them play with an even greater edge.Steve's the engine,and he played amazing.The extended ending to Riot featured both Lee and Thurston dragging their guitars across the upper lighting rig.....coupled with the strobes and the noise this made for a spectacular conclusion.
baby bulldog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 11:09 AM   #8
sevenveils
empty page

sevenveils is a name known to allsevenveils is a name known to allsevenveils is a name known to allsevenveils is a name known to allsevenveils is a name known to allsevenveils is a name known to all
yes, toad's sucks and so does new haven. but given those things, it was still lovely to see sy last night. i cut everyone who comes to the hayve a little slack.

mote and schizophrenia weren't nearly as fantastic as they can be, and i really can't get that into most of the new songs. but the encores were super start to finish. a little double gnarly guitar mashing in the midst of teeming youngsters ended it well.

kim was more on than she sometimes is.
i was right in front of thurston and we had a wnba moment.

holla!
sevenveils is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 02:30 PM   #9
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
It was a great show. The band was really amazing. Nothing from Evol or Bmr but eh, what can you do? Unfortunately people were behaving like obnoxious buffoons. They didn't even give the opening act a chance and were blabbing at the top of their lungs during their entire acoustic set, and they proceded to act like jackasses during sonic youth's set. That's Connecticut for ya.
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Lethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard sucka
yeah, toads was also close if not SOLD OUT, which i have rarely ever seen for toads....the crowd for SY was waaaaay larger than for dinosaur jr last august...now THATS connecticut fans for ya, they didnt let the fact SY hasnt played new haven or CT in 16 years or the fact SY has screwed CT in the past few years with cancellations stop them from going, or the fact the show was an outrageous $25.......theyre lucky anyone showed up

Death by a firing squard of ten black gay men would be too good for this shithead. - atari2600

you're a real prick for acting so daft & being so disagreeable on purpose - atari2600

Old 02.16.2007, 03:54 PM   #11
guston
little trouble girl

guston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
It was a great show. The band was really amazing. Nothing from Evol or Bmr but eh, what can you do? Unfortunately people were behaving like obnoxious buffoons. They didn't even give the opening act a chance and were blabbing at the top of their lungs during their entire acoustic set, and they proceded to act like jackasses during sonic youth's set. That's Connecticut for ya.

Uggg... yea, people there were being really rude. I'm surprised that people would pay 25 dollars to go to a show and then not watch the bands/listen to the music and talk instead. I wasn't that into Wooden Wand, but I still thought it was pretty lame for most of the crowd to jabber during their set. Really, really lame.

I've never seen Toad's that packed. I had to relocate to the staircase in the back to see SY.
I was pretty happy they played World looks red. That, for me, was the highlight. Really raw and noisy and great.
guston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 04:15 PM   #12
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, World looks red and Teenage riot were the highlights for me. I was so psyched to see Sonic Youth finally play CT, and all the Yale morons had to be obnoxious. Seriously every one you talk to in CT who attends concerts, always says Yeah I'm going to the Boston or NYC one because people in CT are assholes. And they are right.

The only bands that ever get booked to play here anymore are either country, metal, or classic rock. Connecticut really changed after Bush took office, so now nothing can get booked unless it pleases the mullets. The only date on Lollapalooza 03 that got cancelled was the one at the Meadows in Hartford
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 04:59 PM   #13
baby bulldog
bad moon rising

baby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's asses
Toads is a shit hole...thats for sure.
baby bulldog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Still no Sleepin' Around. Two nights in a row! Somebody must hate playing it. It's kinda like Dripping Dream on the Nurse tour. RARELY played! And both are faves. <sigh>

sleepin around was played at most of the shows in 2006, before they started mixing more old material into the sets. that and 'lights out' seemed to fall away to be replaced by 'candle' etc. at the beginning of the rather ripped tour they were playing every song from the album nightly.

i can't believe somebody would actually miss sleepin' around!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 10:53 PM   #15
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
Yeah, World looks red and Teenage riot were the highlights for me. I was so psyched to see Sonic Youth finally play CT, and all the Yale morons had to be obnoxious. Seriously every one you talk to in CT who attends concerts, always says Yeah I'm going to the Boston or NYC one because people in CT are assholes. And they are right.

The only bands that ever get booked to play here anymore are either country, metal, or classic rock. Connecticut really changed after Bush took office, so now nothing can get booked unless it pleases the mullets. The only date on Lollapalooza 03 that got cancelled was the one at the Meadows in Hartford

well, its more the fact that bands can draw more in Boston and NYC, so they skip CT, since its not that long a drive for us...which sucks, but it has been like this for years...bush took office in 2000, SY hasnt played CT since 1991 i beleive, so i dont see how that matters...ive heard over the years the booking people at toads are real assholes and very cheap, thats more of the reason.. when clubs like The Tune Inn, Tuxedo Junction and the El N Gee (which is reopening) closed...its got lame fast in CT. NYC shows for me seem to be the best for crowd reaction..boston i find bad, ive gone to the middle east a bunch of times, and people actually have thier back to the bands and try to talk over the music. i guess that was goin on at toads too last night, but it was so packed...i think people wouldnt have talked so much if SY was louder, i couldnt even here the lyircs at times..especially during teenage riot. i also agree with eyeball about the yale student presence at Toads for shows...they always seem to never really be into any show, i guess they rather talk equations and theories, hahaa

Old 02.17.2007, 07:26 AM   #16
margotapplebaum
empty page

margotapplebaum has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The Toad's place show was just plain horrible. Sonic Youth were not horrible, but the crowd was not only disrespectful, but down right rude. This is why bands don't play CT people. I don't know why everyone has to be a jackass on Thursday. Seriously! I even had to lash out at some people. And if those some people are reading this...Thanks for being a douchebag! Like I said to you, next time you want to be in the front swooning over Thurston Moore, show up 2 hours early to save your spot. I don't need to smile in order to have a great time. Asshole!

And a big thank you to Toad's Place for not letting them play their whole set. Way to go!

Northampton was way better.
margotapplebaum is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 05:42 AM   #17
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
lmfao

was there some guy that yelled out "Thurston have my babies!"

is that what any of you are referring to as the annoying behavior? i know that guy from another board.

im almost positive he also said he was touching their guitars or something while they were playing. i didnt go into detail with him so i dont know exactly what happened with that.
Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 08:52 AM   #18
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
i can't believe somebody would actually miss sleepin' around!

It's probably one of the best tracks on RR.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 09:47 AM   #19
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
It's probably one of the best tracks on RR.

Yeah I completely agree! It's one of the rockinest tracks there! That's why I'm so bummed Sleepin' Around isn't on the setlist anymore. The tour last summer took them EVERYWHERE but here in the beginning so by the time they made it back to the east coast, Sleepin' Around was AWOL!

NOW I'm trying to find a way to see that Gypsy Tea Room gig from TX that'll be broadcast on HDNet. Sleepin' Around is in that set! The problem is that nobody carries HDNet even if you HAVE high definition TV. Doubt I'll find a way to get at it.

There is a vid of them doing it in Toronto on YouTube however.

Where's the Providence setlist?
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 03:37 PM   #20
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
cool tune, i guess, but abysmal lyrics. i liked that pre-RR instrumental version they had on the site for a while (and may still, for all i know).
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth