Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New TVOTR leaked
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.08.2008, 07:51 PM   #21
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
There are good tracks on Cookie Mountain. I Was a Lover and Wolf Like Me were great tracks. I thought it was a pretty good album, but I agree some of the magic from Desperate Youth was lost.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2008, 08:08 PM   #22
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Cookie Mountain more or less was the album that made me stop buying music on word of mouth alone...that shit was sooooo hyped everywhere i turned, even reliable sources, but so mediocre...a couple moments (i was a lover) but overall meh.
chairman of the bored is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2008, 08:28 PM   #23
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that material is better live though. Given their typical live setup, I could see a lot of those songs coming out very different in those circumstances.
Old 09.08.2008, 08:39 PM   #24
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
f'sho, i saw them live twoce last year about 6-7 months apart from each show and they played pretty much the same songs but both shows sounded completely different. what ever else people wanna say about them, NOBODY can deny that their live show is amazing.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2008, 09:37 PM   #25
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
i've listened to the first few songs, crying and stork and owl and family treeare the only ones that have stood out so far though. i can't fucking stand that golden age song though. as a whole it's alot more orchestral than the other 2 albums.

Old 09.08.2008, 09:40 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
they have been going downhill since desperate youth.

yes.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2008, 09:51 PM   #27
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

ok i just finishe dlistening to the whoel thing and i actually liked most of (first listen though). the ones i hated were the 2 on their myspace. guess they decided to put the worst ones on there lol. i likes 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11. number 7's pretty good it just doesn't sound like tvotr too me. it's real angry and dancy sounding.

Old 09.08.2008, 10:00 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
ineed it saw them in a small venue two years ago
fukin awesom
Old 09.08.2008, 10:06 PM   #29
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
They're okay. They're only good insofar as they are not as absolutely horrible as so much else. That's it. To use the word "great" anywhere as a modifier connected to TVOTR is a big stretch.
You gotta be some rare sphinx with a persona of detachedness like Andy Warhol to get away with referring to something like that as "great."

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2008, 11:19 PM   #30
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I quite like this. Very dancey, in a good way, I'm a sucker for anything funky. The lyrics are really quite good, too (seems like a lot of people here don't pay attention to lyricism.. "foam-injected axl rose" bwahaha). When Cookie Mountain came out I thought it was better than Desperate Youth, but the momentum wore off after a couple months and I rarely play it.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 01:07 AM   #31
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
ok i just finishe dlistening to the whoel thing and i actually liked most of (first listen though). the ones i hated were the 2 on their myspace. guess they decided to put the worst ones on there lol. i likes 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11. number 7's pretty good it just doesn't sound like tvotr too me. it's real angry and dancy sounding.

You know I like Golden Age and Red the best because they're the most energetic, even though they don't sound like TV on the Radio, there seems to be some heart in those two songs.
Old 09.09.2008, 01:25 AM   #32
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

On Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes I thought they had some great things going for them. . .

1. Kyp Malone's guitar playing- he sort of just wails on a few notes and creates these cool echoey guitar textures- he doesn't lay out chords or play leads, he just kind of has this cool textural things going on

2. Tunde Adebimpe's lead vocals (and Kyp's backup vocals) - very good, lots of talent, and the mixture of low singing and high falsetto singing and transitions back and forth were very awesome

3. The rhythm section- fuzzy/synthy simplistic baselines, and really good drums with very interesting rhythms. Very energetic to very somber at times.

4. Lots of nice hooks

That was awesome, but between their last album and their new album, their vocal melodies have gone down in quality, the energy has gone down, and there is less and less of Kyp's textural guitar work and more and more studio orchestrations. Earlier on the pieces with brass and synth were pretty cool, but now it is just starting to get a bit irksome.

I don't mind them flashing a little bit of a Prince influence, or changing their sound a bit, but I think they've got away from the things that made them a band with a lot of potential and shifted into a band that will be "pretty good but not great"
Old 09.09.2008, 07:06 AM   #33
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its ok. no more no less.. slightly better than cookie, not a patch on desperate youth..

shame because like interpol, these guys had some real huge potential but succumbed to themtv generation iddium of making easily digestable music for the masses to consume...... rich tea core if you will....
Old 09.09.2008, 08:53 AM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
they rocked letterman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qBnuzrjx0
Old 09.09.2008, 08:54 AM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and yes, they ARE GREAT
everything they do rules

ten times better than animal collective with their pussy white boy folk.
Old 09.09.2008, 12:05 PM   #36
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

That was an awesome performance. When I first saw that it made me go back to Cookie Mountain and relisten to it and it gave me more appreciation for the album.
Old 09.09.2008, 12:08 PM   #37
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
and yes, they ARE GREAT
everything they do rules

Right

Quote:
ten times better than animal collective with their pussy white boy folk.
Wrong. Totally wrong. You should listen again to Animal Collective cause except for Sung Tongs and Campfire Songs, I can't think of an Animal Collective album that could be classified folk. And I don't really see the need to compare both.

I really loved Cookie Mountain, it had so many great songs, though I really dislike Dirtywhirl (it sounded so EASY of a song) and Province didn't make it for me, I really enjoyed the rest of it. Desperate... was great. Haven't listened to the new one though, I decided not to download leaks anymore
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 12:59 PM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
good background music.

animal collective is tons better than tvotr, they are miles away in the songwriting department.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2008, 12:31 PM   #39
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
can't wait to hear this. yr all a bunch of jaded bastards (^^^ except you). I don't care what you say.

going to see them on Halloween. I can't fucking wait.

I'm a big enough bot to admit that I was wrong.

thank gawd I didn't buy tickets yet!

blrrrgggh.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth