Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.30.2015, 09:53 AM   #18641
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Santana was fried on Orange Sunshine LSD during that woodstock set. It rules

yeah, i've seen interviews with him where he was saying he'd see a snake wrapping around him or coming out of his guitar or something-- but the whole band was fucking tremendous-- drums, keyboards, timbales, congas, etc.

comparing to hendrix in that show, hendrix is a better guitarist but his musicians are acolytes in the background, whereas santana is a collective clusterfuck that just blows everyone to pieces.

Quote:
Ritchie Havens rules too in that. he wakes everyone the fuck up

joan baez put me to sleep though ha ha.

i didn't dislike the protest songs, just too much vibrato and squealing.

but it was good that there were those people out there back then-- organizing, getting jailed, etc.

nowadays nobody gives a shit about much.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2015, 11:45 AM   #18642
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

watched this while chillin on Sunday. Meh. 5/10 It was cool at times, and dull at times.
Old 03.30.2015, 11:45 AM   #18643
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah, i've seen interviews with him where he was saying he'd see a snake wrapping around him or coming out of his guitar or something-- but the whole band was fucking tremendous-- drums, keyboards, timbales, congas, etc.

comparing to hendrix in that show, hendrix is a better guitarist but his musicians are acolytes in the background, whereas santana is a collective clusterfuck that just blows everyone to pieces.

joan baez put me to sleep though ha ha.

i didn't dislike the protest songs, just too much vibrato and squealing.

but it was good that there were those people out there back then-- organizing, getting jailed, etc.

nowadays nobody gives a shit about much.

I FUCKING HATE that Baez bullshit. Horrible horrible set of songs.
Old 03.30.2015, 12:19 PM   #18644
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh that 2nd thor one was pretty terrible.

baez's first song was about this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hill

and the lyrics are pretty good-- they mean something:

http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/son...hilldream.html

i do hate her slow howling though

swiiiiiiiing looooOoooOoooOoooow

ugh!
Old 03.30.2015, 01:44 PM   #18645
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Its just cuz the sound guy was shit and the mix down overly focused on Jimi.. Larry Lee actually played some great guitar on that but they muted it on the soundboard recordings however when you listen carefully he is there consistently. Indeed i always found it odd that Jimi didn't decide to keep a secon guitar player because i.always felt like Woodstock is Hendrix's best performance precisely because he had a rhythm guitar player to jam with. Its not even a cliche, i have dozens of Hendrix live recordings and his lead work is possibly the most creative and explorative in that performance and i always felt like it was cuz of Larry Lee being there. Also, they purposely cut out Juma's bongos because well, dude was going a bit too off on them.. Billy Cox on bass is holding it down like Noel never could, i always preferred Billy to Noel

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2015, 02:00 PM   #18646
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

No one will ever out spazdrum Mitch Mitchell though!!!!!
Old 03.30.2015, 02:15 PM   #18647
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Yes this is true.. Mitch actually is a terrible drummer in the conventional sense, buddy miles was the superior tactician, but Mitch was better at "following " Jimi the way say Bill Ward could follow Tony Iommi so it always was a better fit. I think the best Hendrix line up was Billy Jimi Mitch

Old 04.01.2015, 08:56 AM   #18648
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Seen it before, decades ago. still weird, still disturbing, still funny, still sad
Old 04.01.2015, 09:04 AM   #18649
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Seen it before, decades ago. still weird, still disturbing, still funny, still sad

A big fave of mine. Little Edie was like a Warhol Superstar transplanted to the Hamptons. As you say, weird, disturbing, funny, sad.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2015, 05:23 AM   #18650
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Twenty feet from stardom (!@#$%! reminded me it was on my must-see list)
9/10

The shining
8.5/10
Old 04.06.2015, 11:51 AM   #18651
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I watched..

Pulp Fiction
Crowne Heights
LA Confidential
From Hell

Old 04.06.2015, 12:20 PM   #18652
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

"Don't throw bouquets at me
Don't please my folks too much
Don't laugh at my jokes too much
People will say we're in love!
Don't sigh and gaze at me
Your sighs are so like mine
Your eyes mustn't glow like mine
People will say we're in love!
Don't start collecting things
Give me my rose and my glove.
Sweetheart they're suspecting things
People will say we're in love."
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2015, 01:11 PM   #18653
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Saw this again late Saturday night. I still dig it fully. 9/10

Saw this on the repeated urging of my wife. Had not seen it because I never want to watch movies where people say "You remind me so much of the guy in the movie." ha! but I liked it.
8/10
Old 04.06.2015, 05:28 PM   #18654
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

this past weekend i saw

CLOUD ATLAS - started sloooowwww and it almost put me to sleep (i was tired) but the next day it picked up and was pretty good, considering its hodgepodge quality ("fiskadoro meets the matrix meets blade runner meets buddhism meets many meats"). mega-ambitious hence doomed to failm, and yes a little bit cheesy (okay, a lot cheesy) but when the old farts said "all for one and one for all" i teared up a little. worth a look even if in the end you disapprove. watch it in the daytime. 4/5

THE DOUBLE - moss from the IT crowd (richard ayoade) directed this. starts VERY kafkaesque then switches slightly-- found out it's adapted from a dostoevsky story i've never read before ("the double"). i must now check that out.

i would have liked the movie more if i hadn't seen scenarious like this before (gilliam's brazil, etc.) the lighting/photography was reminiscent 4 months 2 weeks 3 days-- dim lights everywhere. i did like that.

for someone with innocent eyes it will probably be a 5/5, for jaded me it was a 3-- however, since it was moss (moss rules!) then it's a 4/5.

BIRDMAN - great, really. amazing camera work for starters--that thing goes on non-stop and it goes everywhere-- fantastic technical achievement and it's not technique for its own sake but it feeds into the frantic and claustrophobic pace of the story.

story is okay (a big goofy with the telekinesis or whatever) but the acting is great-- whatsisname and edward norton-- great. emma stone with her alien eyes, very good. amy ryan i like lots but is there so briefly. same as naomi watts. this was mostly about keaton who delivered the goods.

in the end, it's a filmed play, and maybe it's not a great play, but the way it was filmed and acted was super-impressive. 5/5 since i'm using integers, but maybe 4.5/5 if granularity is required. best thing i saw all weekend besides the lewandowski goal.
Old 04.09.2015, 10:29 AM   #18655
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Wild Tales yesterday, really good. 9/10 at least. A couple of really astounding things in it. see it if you get a chance, this is the best of 2015 for me so far
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2015, 01:40 PM   #18656
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Princess Kaguya a few days ago, best Ghibli film since Spirited Away.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2015, 10:24 AM   #18657
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
^I've not heard of that one. High praise indeed. I started trying to get through my Ghibli list again recently so watched the cat returns and tales from earthsea, both pleasantly ok. At this point I feel like i've seen it all.

Also saw Essential Killing, Elysium, and the pointless remake of The Evil Dead.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2015, 08:41 AM   #18658
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

Had a blast watching it. Quirky humor as is to be expexted from Wes Anderson and stop-motion animation blends perfectly with that formula. The visuals are rich and beautifully detailed. The plot is very simple, making room for a focus on character development.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2015, 11:09 AM   #18659
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
^I've not heard of that one. High praise indeed. I started trying to get through my Ghibli list again recently so watched the cat returns and tales from earthsea, both pleasantly ok. At this point I feel like i've seen it all.

It's new out, probably still showing at a cinema near you.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6hcHp0_kU
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2015, 01:31 PM   #18660
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Cheers. Watercolour will take some getting used to, still yet to watch the yamadas.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
833883923930931932 933 9349359369439831033 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth