Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bytor's Album Of The Week - 2012
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
E. Noisefield started a thread: "Where Do You Find New Music?" Like E. Noisefield, I too was somewhat embarrassed by the lack of knowledge of new releases from the previous year. This will be my feeble attempt to shine a light on new releases / re-releases that might be easily skipped over.

Mark Lanegan was once a member of, The Screaming Trees. His new album is will be released by 4AD on February 6, 2012

Mark Lanegan Band - The Gravedigger's Song - http://youtu.be/mVCNSZPPr9M

http://4ad.com/news/5/12/2011/listentothegravediggerssongthenewtrackbymarklanega nband

Cardinal - Hymns (the groups first release since 1994) Fire Records will release 'Hymns' on January 23, 20

http://soundcloud.com/firerecords/ca...love-like-rain

http://www.firerecords.com/site/inde...eleaseid=00790

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come
In fields of swaying rape
It could not happen here - Tibet

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2012, 11:20 AM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks! I will start listening to, if I can, at home! Thanks Peltor!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Just released yesterday - January 17

When the year draws to a close and we look back at the albums released, I know this will be a personal favorite of mine. I was first introduced to Mark via is work in Locust (NO - not that Locust) and Seefeel.

Mark Van Hoen - The Revenant Diary (three sided 2xLP)
http://soundcloud.com/pdis_inpartmai...n-the-revenant

http://editionsmego.com/release/eMEGO+136V

Grimes - Visions

http://www.arbutusrecords.com/?page_id=21 (you can hear a track)

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 01.18.2012, 05:07 PM   #4
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
E. Noisefield started a thread: "Where Do You Find New Music?" Like E. Noisefield, I too was somewhat embarrassed by the lack of knowledge of new releases from the previous year. This will be my feeble attempt to shine a light on new releases / re-releases that might be easily skipped over.

I was about to make a thread *just like this*, but I didn't want to go overboard and possibly just irritate everybody.

Thanks for doing this!! Let's get this stickied!!!
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2012, 05:13 PM   #5
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
This was released right at the start of the year.

I am not sure that I love it, but it's ok and warrants further listening. The band's alright and they're been coming.

Pterodactyl- Spills Out

There's a review on pitchfork believe it or not. These guys might be big some day.
Old 01.18.2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
but I didn't want to go overboard and possibly just irritate everybody. Thanks for doing this!! Let's get this stickied!!!

I certainly don't want to irritate anyone either. My goal for this thread is to mention one or two albums each week that might slip through the cracks......not necessarily albums that will end up on everyone's "best of 2012" list at the end of the year.

I will also try to include a sound clip, some sort of a review and the labels website where the release can be purchased.

Anyone fill free to bring attention to any new / re-release in 2012......it's what this thread is for!

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 01.18.2012, 06:41 PM   #7
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses

Will be out in February 10 or 13 or March 19 depending on your location.
a song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fh4izS5wo0
preorder here: http://soapandskin.spinshop.com/
weird "diary" here: http://www.narrowsoapandskin.com/

edit: nice idea BP! If you prefer to keep the thread more "personal" with your suggestion just tell .
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I donīt understand why anybody feel embarrassed if he canīt put up a list of 25 or more releases that has come last year. I have had a need of hear now and then the music Iīve ever heard before since I was four years old. But it has always been same to me, has the music made in the fifties or last year.

I think the first decade of 2000 was the most boring decade of the popular music culture. And last year didnīt make exception. Of course you can say Iīve become too old. But itīs kind of peculiar that I hear elements from the old music all that new stuff that is recommed to me. And there seem to be trend that bands take just one element from the old music and build the whole album around it (maybe new artists are afraid the fans donīt like them if they become too versatile). I need versatility to the music and I think there was much more imaginitive influences and creative way to make music in the late sixties and in the seventies than today. Of course many very creative band started also in the eighties and nineties.

I have also a period in the beginning of nineties when I wanted to search just bands that has made only one or two albums. And I found many very great ones. I am glad if people still find new music that could take them outside of the normal day. But my greatest finds last years have been the bands from the sixties and seventies.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
nice idea BP! If you prefer to keep the thread more "personal" with your suggestion just tell .

All are welcome! The only thing I prefer is if anyone is going to post, take the time to include a link for a soundclip, review or a website to purchase the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
But my greatest finds last years have been the bands from the sixties and seventies.

This sort of info would make for a great thread......

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 01.21.2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
All are welcome! The only thing I prefer is if anyone is going to post, take the time to include a link for a soundclip, review or a website to purchase the album.

This sort of info would make for a great thread......

The Pretty Things, Amon Duul 2, Magma, Traffic, Country Joe and the Fish, Os Mutantes, Osibisa, the Bluestars, the Missing Links, the Masters Apprentices, Kaleidoscope are some of those...
Old 01.21.2012, 02:34 PM   #11
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
to be honest this is precisely the kind of thread I wish was more prevolant in this forum, BP you've got the right idea.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2012, 03:40 AM   #12
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
That Grimes record is so good I love her.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
to be honest this is precisely the kind of thread I wish was more prevolant in this forum, BP you've got the right idea.
Do you mean SY was born from nothing, that they havenīt got any influences in their music? Hey cīmon, we are talking about the band that is founded in the eighties. What sucks me most these days is that people seem to live like there hasnīt been any past. Well, people have made same mistakes even they have known the history, but anyway I think one of todayīs great problems is the peopleīs lack of knowing big entities. But of course, if you think the new music is only music that is important, just go on.
Old 01.22.2012, 07:35 AM   #14
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Do you mean SY was born from nothing, that they havenīt got any influences in their music? Hey cīmon, we are talking about the band that is founded in the eighties. What sucks me most these days is that people seem to live like there hasnīt been any past. Well, people have made same mistakes even they have known the history, but anyway I think one of todayīs great problems is the peopleīs lack of knowing big entities. But of course, if you think the new music is only music that is important, just go on.

eh?

Old 01.22.2012, 08:09 AM   #15
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
eh?
Iīm sorry if I misunderstood you.
Old 01.23.2012, 03:27 PM   #16
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

It's kind of a pitchfork thing, but it's pretty good. Getting kind of a Nirvana/Replacements vibe from it. Even Slint at times. Weird combo of lofi/postpunk/pop.

Not sure it's great yet, but I'm listening.
Old 01.23.2012, 04:14 PM   #17
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Slint??

Old 01.23.2012, 04:21 PM   #18
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Just a line to tell BP I just listened to that Mark Lanegan new single. DAMN.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2012, 04:31 PM   #19
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Slint??

Maybe not. Just the vocals, at certain times.

I haven't even listened to the whole thing yet, so I'm just throwing shit out there
Old 01.23.2012, 07:00 PM   #20
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Maybe not. Just the vocals, at certain times.

I haven't even listened to the whole thing yet, so I'm just throwing shit out there

The Pitchfrock review says its a total overhaul, which is ominous considering how much i liked them when they first came out. The second album didnt do much for me partly cos i felt it didnt sound like the first... maybe theyve overhauled to the sound of the first... I just need to listen to the album dont I

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth