Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Sonic Youth Gossip Book Club
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2006, 03:32 PM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Damnation And Buggery I Have Too Many Posts And Really Need To Get A Job Because I Spend To Much Time Here Damnit Damnit All With Sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:34 PM   #22
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pretty confused about the whole thing too...I'm guessing tomorrow we'll get the 411.

I trust in noumenal.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:35 PM   #23
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Word. What's actually happening then, did you want us to pick one from the list on the first page, or are you going to do it? Perhaps you should make a shorlist of ten and have a vote on it?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON I AM CONFUSED.

Also, is the actual discussion taking place on this board?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON I AM CONFUSED.

Alright, so I just like saying that. So sue me.

Word.

I'm compiling a master list today. It's the list above with a couple additions. I don't know why nobody has really commented on the list; I can only assume that they find it satisfactory. Tomorrow I will pick 5 books at random and we'll have a PM vote. Or we can do it today, if you want....

Discussion will take place here in a thread (ONE thread) and at a chat room. I was thinking Yahoo--I will make a private room. Unless anyone bitches that's what is going to happen. Again, I'm concerned that people have made so few comments.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:38 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ah. None of the above I have problems with. The reason no-one has bitched about the list is that it is a list of things that everyone has voted for, so far as I can make out. Which is to say, what's the point bitching about some things that some people like (although I know this statement contravenes rule no 5a, clause B of all known message boards)

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.22.2006, 03:40 PM   #25
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Like I said, the books you picked for my author aren't the best, but they'll do.

I really only had a problem with Fight Club.

I'm surprised no one made suggestions either...

Maybe the jokes on us.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:44 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Is there much consideration of length of books? I've noticed that Dostoyevsky's on there (long) and Bataille's 'my mother' is on there (very short, less than an afternoons read). You might want to be careful about that.

Quote:
Old 05.22.2006, 03:46 PM   #27
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
If we don't have the books that are picked will we have to buy them? haha Well that answer is kinda ovbious but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the book right away if we do go through with this.
Kim C Not G is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:48 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

You surely have a public library near you?

Quote:
Old 05.22.2006, 03:53 PM   #29
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Libraries should have most of them.

I know there are big differences in book length, difficulty, etc. That's what the voting is for. I assume everyone will do a bit of research before voting.

The bitching I was expecting was about the choice of books for each author, but I guess I did an OK job, not counting Fight Club.
Old 05.22.2006, 03:53 PM   #30
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

New list:

Albert Camus:
The Fall
The Plague
Nikolai Gogol:
Dead Souls
The Collected Tales (Short Stories)
Haruki Murakami:
A Wild Sheep Chase
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Jean Genet:
Our Lady Of The Flowers
The Miracle of the Rose
Jorge Luis Borges:
Fictions
The Aleph
Henry Miller:
Tropic of Cancer
Black Spring
Fyodor Dostoevsky:
The Idiot
The Brothers Karamazov
William Gibson:
Virtual Light
Pattern Recognition
Vladimir Nabokov:
Pnin
Pale Fire
William Gaddis:
JR
A Frolic of His Own
John Updike:
The Centaur
The Complete Henry Bech
Philip Roth:
The Counterlife
I Married a Communist
Samuel Beckett:
Watt
Murphy
Knut Hamsun:
Hunger
Pan
James Ellroy:
Black Dahlia
American Tabloid
Dave Eggers:
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
You Shall Know Our Velocity
Chuck Palahniuk:
Survivor
Lullaby
Georges Bataille:
My Mother
The Story of the Eye
Naguib Mahfouz:
Children of Gebelawi
Palace Walk
Graham Swift:
Last Orders
Waterland
Victor Hugo:
Last Days of a Condemned Man
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Willa Cather:
One of Ours
My Ántonia
George Orwell:
Homage to Catalonia
Coming Up for Air
Nicholson Baker:
The Mezzanine
The Fermata
Joseph Heller:
God Knows
Something Happened
Ray Bradbury:
The Martian Chronicles
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Charles Dickens:
Bleak House
Hard Times
Ernest Hemingway:
The Sun Also Rises
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Richard Wright:
Native Son
Black Boy
Old 05.22.2006, 03:55 PM   #31
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Can I play?
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:57 PM   #32
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
Can I play?

Yeah, of course. I'm going to make a new thread in a minute with the randomly chosen books for voting.
Old 05.22.2006, 04:00 PM   #33
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
PM just sent... maybe hold off for my recommendations? If not, no biggie...
Old 05.22.2006, 04:00 PM   #34
children of satan

though I am an English teacher
Old 05.22.2006, 04:03 PM   #35
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
PM just sent... maybe hold off for my recommendations? If not, no biggie...
added, see above

edit: oh, also, this thread has a lot of info in it:

http://216.70.73.169/gossip/showthread.php?t=1928
Old 05.22.2006, 04:33 PM   #36
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You surely have a public library near you?

Actually my town made a vote and now we are not allowed to use the library nearby because they wanted to save money rather than let people read.
Old 05.22.2006, 04:42 PM   #37
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
^Boo
Old 05.22.2006, 04:47 PM   #38
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

I know. I live in the uneducated boondocks haha. There is a used book store though so there's hope and a Borders at the mall. If all else fails, Barnes and Noble.com .
Old 05.22.2006, 04:52 PM   #39
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I grew up in the boondocks of Appalachia, but we had a friggin' library. Jeez!!!
Old 05.22.2006, 05:39 PM   #40
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
holy fuck. to close the library. most retarded move ever. why don't they just change the town name to dunceville?

and you gotta get the fuck out of there FAST.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth