Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page "Superstar" on SY's myspace from Hits Are For Squares.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.12.2008, 01:53 PM   #21
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
did you see that the myspace mentions it will be out by Universal???
did Starbucks backed off?
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2008, 02:00 PM   #22
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw that. Wonder what it means. I couldn't find anything about the cd on the Starbucks site.
Old 04.12.2008, 07:55 PM   #23
Gary Black
little trouble girl

Gary Black has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Dude - that link at the foot of your posts is AWESOME. I just got Kali Yug!!!!!!!!! sweet as a nut x
Gary Black is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2008, 09:09 PM   #24
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Starbucks Sells Out

Why Sonic Youth and Frappuccinos don't mix

August 10, 2007—When I walk into Starbucks, there are a couple things I've come to expect: One, I'll screw up the verbiage of my Mega-Grande-Retardo- Frappalicious Mochamajig™, and two, I'll be offered the chance to purchase the latest CD from Norah Jones or Sting or some other Adult Contemporary mainstay. And I like it that way—the second part, at least. Knowing that my taste in music is still hipper than Starbucks' legion of Alanis Morissette fans has always been comforting to me.

Which is why I'm saddened—no, outraged—by the recent news that the chain has enlisted art-rock demigods Sonic Youth to do a compilation. Predictably, indie ideologues are screaming "sellout!" over the band's "betrayal" of their former anticorporate code, but they're missing the point. Sonic Youth is just trying to make a buck. It's Starbucks who's betraying us.

How am I supposed to react if the next time I order a coffee they're blasting the latest Pitchfork-approved noise rock through their formerly safe and soothing speakers? Howard Schultz, you're shaking my sense of cultural superiority to the core. What's next? Will Staples begin publishing McSweeney's? Will Red Lobster produce the next Wes Anderson film, giving away free DVDs with every popcorn shrimp basket? To paraphrase Judd Nelson, If Starbucks gets hip... they'll all get hip... it'll be anarchy.

Adding insult to injury, the compilation has a nifty ironic title, Hits Are for Squares. And alterna icons like Dave Eggers and Chloë Sevigny are apparently involved in the conspiracy: They'll be selecting the tracks to be included on the disc. Et tu, Sevigny?

I'll tolerate having 35 Starbucks on my block. I'll put up with the ludicrous drink prices. I'll even suffer the angst of the blue-haired barista. But I can't go to Starbucks and hear Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon. Starbucks are for squares, Mr. Schultz, and for the love of God let's keep it that way.

— Robert Lanham
http://men.style.com/news/the_rant/081007
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2008, 10:54 PM   #25
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

Yeah, I noticed that too. Perhaps it won't be a Starbucks exclusive. In line with the review you posted above, it seems like if Starbucks put it out by their lonesome, they'd have to be inclined to promote it, i.e. play it in their stores. What do you bet, they didn't really want to do that, so opted for a non-exclusive product tie-in instead?

I must be as old as I feel too, because I kind of like that cover. It is god awful, but that kind of works for this. The title and the photo are just so Huey Lewis referential I end up smiling at the horrific irony of it all. I want to be more cynical than them, but I just can't.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2008, 04:14 AM   #26
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I came to the conclusion that the cover might appeal to all the "Lost in Translation" lovers.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2008, 05:28 AM   #27
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I came to the conclusion that the cover might appeal to all the "Lost in Translation" lovers.

You couldn't have put it better my friend. That being said, I don't think the cover is too horrible, though it could have been better.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 07:33 AM   #28
sarramkrop

The cover is so horrible I'm liking it in a sort of exotic way. In any case, hopefully this album will earn them enough dough to help them concentrate on making a good album, after this way too long mediocre phase.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 07:43 AM   #29
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

It has been described in that Pitchfork article etc as a "joint effort between Starbucks Entertainment and Universal Special Markets".
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 08:31 AM   #30
wilffiv
little trouble girl

wilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asseswilffiv kicks all y'all's asses
im pretty sure that universal is Hearmusic's distributer, as it is for ecstatic peace
wilffiv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 03:07 PM   #31
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Slow Revolution!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 04:12 PM   #32
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Can't fucking wait for this.
Old 04.17.2008, 04:16 PM   #33
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ✌➬
Can't fucking wait for this.

me too.
mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 04:30 PM   #34
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I think it means that their next album is going to be the Doom metal one.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth