Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.07.2018, 11:19 AM   #10941
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Well that was a crappy first half

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2018, 11:19 AM   #10942
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
jury still out at halftime lol but seems man city reaching a bit further
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2018, 11:22 AM   #10943
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Lots of energy but no real quality from either team. Henderson looks like Liverpool's best player. Stones for MC. Mahrez is having a mare and needs to come off.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2018, 11:38 AM   #10944
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i disagreee with you guys

the “problem” as i see it is they are so good they neutralize each other well

so far anyway

every inch contested
Old 10.07.2018, 11:46 AM   #10945
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm enjoying it but they're both losing the ball too easily for me.
Old 10.07.2018, 11:57 AM   #10946
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm enjoying it but they're both losing the ball too easily for me.
losing the ball to whom?

the other best team in the league

ok chelsea too but who else is in contest
Old 10.07.2018, 12:23 PM   #10947
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ended kinda like i expected—man city more chances (and that was all)

expected more fireworks though, but i understand why they didn’t happen

overall was a bit like this:

match stats also super-even in shots, shots on goal, fouls, and possession ha ha ha
Old 10.07.2018, 12:29 PM   #10948
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, 0-0 felt fair. Fernandinho should've been off and Mahrez was poor and wouldn't have deserved to score a winning pen. And where was Mane for most of the game?

By losing the ball I meant among themselves. passes going astray, rushed shots, etc., especially from Man City. Not much real composure from either team.
Old 10.07.2018, 03:08 PM   #10949
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah i think the unusual pressure they placed upon each other mutually unstabilized them

suprising to see klopp even on possession with pep no? 49-51 or something.

i enjoy the tactical battle more than the action itself.

and yeah i was gonna ask earlier if the ref was in love with fernandinho or something. a bit of an embarrassment for the prem i thought. fucker should get sanctioned.

but the teams great.
Old 10.12.2018, 12:02 PM   #10950
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I watched the game again last night. Your original point about a stalemate was right. Both managers made key tactical changes to their usual style and were probably guilty of showing each other too much respect. Watching the game again, the one player who really stood out was Henderson - a player I love but one who tends to go unnoticed in such a usually attack-minded team. Equally I'd say LaPorte was probably City's best player. But neither team were really in their comfort zone, which probably explains why a usually reliable player like Bernardo Silva, playing deeper than usual, was making so many silly on the ball mistakes and why Mane couldn't make any kind of impact at all.

It was a spikey game from both sides and I think overall the ref did ok. Fernandinho got off lightly but the same could be said for Wijnaldum and Lovren. The Anfield atmosphere was intense (Sterling was getting hassle the whole game) so it wasn't the easiest game to referee.
Old 10.12.2018, 12:50 PM   #10951
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I watched the game again last night. Your original point about a stalemate was right. Both managers made key tactical changes to their usual style and were probably guilty of showing each other too much respect. Watching the game again, the one player who really stood out was Henderson - a player I love but one who tends to go unnoticed in such a usually attack-minded team. Equally I'd say LaPorte was probably City's best player. But neither team were really in their comfort zone, which probably explains why a usually reliable player like Bernardo Silva, playing deeper than usual, was making so many silly on the ball mistakes and why Mane couldn't make any kind of impact at all.

It was a spikey game from both sides and I think overall the ref did ok. Fernandinho got off lightly but the same could be said for Wijnaldum and Lovren. The Anfield atmosphere was intense (Sterling was getting hassle the whole game) so it wasn't the easiest game to referee.
yeah. not sure if it was guilt of caution or the wisdom of prudence. the tie worked well for both teams i suppose. a good hedge at least. but yes, a lack of fireworks is sometimes the price of a winning strategy.

i still remember pep in the man city documentary talking about how he’s afraid of liverpool’s attackers. he uses those words. i forget if it’s “im afraid” or “they scare me” but it’s a clear acknowledgment of respect for the opponent.

and milner leaving was bad for liverpool, wasnt it? they didnt work the same without him.

i didn’t like the ref. i never like that ref actually. i dont know his name yet but i know his face by now. seen him a number of times now and he always sucks, ha ha ha.

bundesliga btw has introduced var and it works better than this nonsense or what we’re seeing in the champions. yes there will always be errors and disputes about var, but i believe the margin of error is greatly reduced with that tool, and it’s no greater delay than players getting in the ref’s face for an unjust call.

dont know what i’ll do this weekend without football. probably have a little halloween film festival instead.
Old 10.13.2018, 01:56 AM   #10952
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
a lack of fireworks is sometimes the price of a winning strategy.

The whole point was that both teams employed a try not to lose strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i still remember pep in the man city documentary talking about how he’s afraid of liverpool’s attackers. he uses those words. i forget if it’s “im afraid” or “they scare me” but it’s a clear acknowledgment of respect for the opponent.

Yeah, I saw that too. I think that fear thing has always been their with Pep. Not just towards Klopp or Liverpool. He sometimes seems overly pre-occupied with what he sees as his opponents' strengths rather than focusing on his own. It's a weird way of thinking, especially for such a successful manager - although he'd probably say that's part of why he's been so successful. It definitely explains why he tinkers so much.

Quote:
and milner leaving was bad for liverpool, wasnt it? they didnt work the same without him.

It was bad for the way Klopp had initially set them up but Keita really should have made them more of an attacking threat, but it never happened. One issue seems to be that Firmino doesn't appear to function properly when Keita's there. God knows how Klopp solves that one as Firmino's too important to them for hm to be sidelined or moved to accommodate Keita, and Keita's too good (and expensive) to be reduced to super-sub status. It often happens with players in similar positions and styles (the infamous Lampard/Gerrard problem with England) but less obvious when the two players are in very different positions. Man City sort of have a similar issue with playing Sane and Mendy together, to the extent I wouldn't be surprised if Sane eventually gets sold.
Old 10.13.2018, 07:41 AM   #10953
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
The whole point was that both teams employed a try not to lose strategy.

ha ha ha yes, i did not miss that this was your point, but i worded my response imprecisely. sorry about the confusion

i should not have written “win” but what is the word for coming out of a contest with the strategic advantage of having avoided disaster, living to fight another day, as opposed to getting crushed by the enemy? it’s a kind of win... sorta, lol

and by strategy i idnt just mean this game but the whole campaign and winning the prem. i.e., screw up a game to win the cup.

now they will go on fighting via proxy wars, cheering for the other team’s opponent, till they meet again, maybe still even in points.

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that too. I think that fear thing has always been their with Pep. Not just towards Klopp or Liverpool. He sometimes seems overly pre-occupied with what he sees as his opponents' strengths rather than focusing on his own. It's a weird way of thinking, especially for such a successful manager - although he'd probably say that's part of why he's been so successful. It definitely explains why he tinkers so much.

a founder/ceo of intel i forget his name andy something titled his memoirs “only the paranoid survive” ha ha ha

Quote:
It was bad for the way Klopp had initially set them up but Keita really should have made them more of an attacking threat, but it never happened. One issue seems to be that Firmino doesn't appear to function properly when Keita's there. God knows how Klopp solves that one as Firmino's too important to them for hm to be sidelined or moved to accommodate Keita, and Keita's too good (and expensive) to be reduced to super-sub status. It often happens with players in similar positions and styles (the infamous Lampard/Gerrard problem with England) but less obvious when the two players are in very different positions. Man City sort of have a similar issue with playing Sane and Mendy together, to the extent I wouldn't be surprised if Sane eventually gets sold.

yes, but i think that the reason keita was less of a threat on attack was that he offered less defensive coverage.

the greatness of milner is that he is proper beast wherever he goes. keita was supposed to be the more refined attacker right? (i dont know the guy yet). at least my commentators were going on about how keita was gonna add the offensive touch bla bla bla.

i dont remember in what particular position milner ws that day, but regardless, he seems to operate like a box to box midfielder, great on attack and on defense. reminds me a lot of schweinsteiger in his heyday, blending skill and physicality,, only even bigger in size.

keita does not have the same presence no? does he scare and dominate people? i don’t really know the guy but i don’t think so.

so liverpool folded back to cover that defensive hole, whereas they had been on a stronger offensive footing up to that point because their backs were better covered. they lost the... what. the scaffolding? their midfield got shakier and man city started pushing forward.

up to that point liverpool was defying my expectations for the match, they had the better chances, i think if milner had stayed they would have won it. now we’ll never know ha ha ha. but yeah. those first 20 minutes my oredictionof higher chances for man city were crap.

i didn’t figure the firmino connection but i’ll look for it next time. with milner’s age and condition i understand he cannot play every game? kloppo has to work on that piece of the puzzle for sure...
Old 10.13.2018, 10:20 AM   #10954
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Milner can play anywhere on the left hand side and is usually 1st choice for penalties.

I know what you mean in the comparison with Schweinsteiger but Milner's not really as dynamic going forward as him, while Schweinsteiger probably wasn't as strong defensively. I'm actually struggling to think of another player like him.Which is ridiculous, because there's nothing especially unique about him in terms of his position or role but I can see Klopp having a harder time trying to replace him than he will some of his more high profile stars.

We were talking recently about Ferrari v Audi players. Milner's more your Toyota Landcruiser.
Old 10.13.2018, 10:33 AM   #10955
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

haha yes or a humvee

he really is a rock, and to me having such a strong defender in an advanced position means you can play really high up the pitch with little fear.
Old 10.13.2018, 11:39 AM   #10956
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Nah, not a Humvee. He's far too versatile for that. He can do the off road stuff while being just as comfortable on a school run. He's really hard to nail down. He's a midfielder really but he can defend when he has to - but he's not a defensive midfielder, a la Mascherano. Nor is he an attacking wingback like say Jordi Alba or Marcelo. He's not really a playmaker either - although he's done that too. At some point in his career, he's probably played in every position on the pitch, except maybe in goal - and he's probably had a go at that, too, and done ok.

So probably not even a landcruiser. I googled car equivalent to a swiss army knife and apparently it's a Subaru Forester Turbo. So now you know: James Milner's the Subaru Forester Turbo of footballers.

Old 10.13.2018, 11:57 AM   #10957
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Although he apparently drives a BMW X5.

Old 10.14.2018, 12:48 PM   #10958
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha haha

nice ride that mercedes

the subaru is a little small for the usa, although it’spretty popular in this part of the country, more so in colorado. it handles the ice well enough and rough roads okay, does well on the highway, etc.

from my rural perspective though he’s a beefier vehicle, like a 4wd pickup truck which can travel rough roads while carrying a load. plus with a large enough engine which through the sheer displacement can fly on highways in spite of a poor aerodynamic profile.

behold the chevy silverado hd duramax

the stuff in the trailer is the forwards
Old 10.15.2018, 12:24 PM   #10959
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Haha. I'll tell you who IS a Humvee, and not just a Humvee but a Humvee with a big fuck off cannon on top:

Just 4 more days before life can start again. I'm fuckin' dying here.
Old 10.15.2018, 02:51 PM   #10960
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Trust me to be stuck in a Chicago art gallery looking at some of the finest art in history, when instead I could be looking at some of the finest football in history.

3-0 England. And against Spain. Lordy.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
448498538545546547 548 549550551558598648 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth