Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.19.2009, 12:34 PM   #2221
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
The Fall of the Towers by Samuel R. Delany

I keep meaning to read some Delany but never know where to start. Is that a good starting point?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 01:11 PM   #2222
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
your exactly right. I'm now aware of lot's of lacanian and hegelian jargon without knowing what it means. i need to go all the way back to plato then?
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 01:28 PM   #2223
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Or better still,

Old 12.19.2009, 02:18 PM   #2224
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah, the Magus is the absolute paradigm of overwrought tosh.

You mean House of Leaves?
Old 12.19.2009, 02:24 PM   #2225
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I am really enjoying Tropic of Cancer. So much different reading it now compared to at 23. God, what a funny fuck Miller was!

Savoring the book, in fact. Like a long and languid fuck.
Old 12.19.2009, 04:02 PM   #2226
demonrail666
invito al cielo

had it even been written when you were 23?
Old 12.19.2009, 04:04 PM   #2227
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Proust.

So bite it.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 04:14 PM   #2228
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
had it even been written when you were 23?

Yes. Study up on your literary history.

Oh, I get it. You were making a joke.

Ha. Ha.
Old 12.19.2009, 04:42 PM   #2229
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
your exactly right. I'm now aware of lot's of lacanian and hegelian jargon without knowing what it means. i need to go all the way back to plato then?

Russell's 'A history of Western Philosophy' is a good place to start. I think, in fairness, you can get away with not reading Plato. I think I may be repeating myself here, but a couple of 'introducing Lacan/ Hegel/ continental philosophy/ psychoanalysis' books should see you right. I really wouldn't bother with Hegel. As someone's who's read him a few times I honestly feel I'm better off reading secondary texts on him than the text itself. Same with Descartes and countless others, as it happens.

I had an argument about Agemben this evening. Fucking teleology can fuck the cunt off in my book..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 04:42 PM   #2230
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
You mean House of Leaves?

I've not read that but I've never known anyone to actually like it, so I'm happy leaving it on the shelf.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.19.2009, 05:58 PM   #2231
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Russell's 'A history of Western Philosophy' is a good place to start. I think, in fairness, you can get away with not reading Plato.
I know too many people that like A History of Western Philosophy more than they should. In fact, I don't know too much about them, but Russell fans seem to always remain in that introduction to philosophy stage without getting much further beside Dennett or some other 'plain language' philosophers. The bit on Nietzsche is infuriating.

Plato helped me out with understanding Hegel by providing a frame of reference for understanding transcendental idealist dialectics. You don't really need to read Plato to know that about Plato, though.

And House of Leaves was obnoxious. I was hoping there was going to be some string-thin narrative that would tight-rope walk across all that bizarre formatting but, no, it just kind of dropped the story. Maybe I missed and am just not clever enough to get it but that gives it a selling point I'd rather not allow. It's a skimmer.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 06:01 PM   #2232
Glice
invito al cielo

I haven't read a word of Russell, unless he wrote an essay on animal ethics, which was probably Singer. But it's a stock recommendation, and I know more people that got a lot out of it than got by without it.

Quote:
Old 12.19.2009, 06:13 PM   #2233
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
It's a very biased history, far more than by simply being a history.

However, recognizing its bias and where Russell is coming from, I think, gives the reader a more involved insight into the history of philosophy as not anesthetized and detached. Russell isn't kind to Hegel, either. They were all pissing on each others' legs.
Old 12.19.2009, 06:23 PM   #2234
gmku
invito al cielo

So what about the Tropics novels, eh? I know Jerry Seinfeld has read at least the first one.
Old 12.19.2009, 06:25 PM   #2235
pbradley
invito al cielo

Oh, also, there's a graphic novel that has come out about Bertrand Russell and set theory called 'Logicomix.' I've left sufficient hints to get it for Christmas. Spoon full of sugar will help the Russell go down.

pwn3d
Old 12.19.2009, 06:28 PM   #2236
gmku
invito al cielo

Has anyone done a graphic novel of Tropic of Cancer?

If not, are there any graphic artists here who would consider collaborating with me on an edition? (I would be the editor/word guy.)
Old 12.19.2009, 06:49 PM   #2237
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Or better still,

haha,fuck yeah
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 09:20 PM   #2238
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses

terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 09:25 PM   #2239
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy

is that the 2009 translation? saw it in the store and am really tempted to check it out
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 09:33 PM   #2240
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
is that the 2009 translation? saw it in the store and am really tempted to check it out

no i couldnt find the cover of the edition i am reading but the translation was first published in 1966.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
62102109110111 112 113114115122162212 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth