Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Are the Sonic-Youth a Grateful Dead cover band?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2009, 03:35 AM   #1
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Observe:

Thurston says "The Dead are all right with me."

Later he says "Turn the light on your lonely love"

The Grateful Dead have a song called "Turn On Your Lovelight" so I think it's fair to assume that Sonic Youth's entire career is based upon covering that song in various mysterious ways.

Listen to "The Sprawl" only a stoner could do that. Listen to "Androgynous Mind", the spirit of Pigpen lives on.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 03:37 AM   #2
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
No, they are not. You know how many fucking kids would trip out on the 'cid when the youf does the skronk man?

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 04:29 AM   #3
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I don't think the Dead wrote Turn On Yr Lovelight.
Old 04.29.2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
to the best of my knowledge sonic youth have never covered a single song of the grateful dead, let alone dedicate their entire career to performing their music.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 09:23 AM   #5
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
Earth covered a Grateful Dead song.

In fact, Earth's entire catalogue is a cover of "The Faster We Go, The Rounder We Get" from approx 1:12 to 1:17, only dragged out over sixteen albums. I think they're almost up to 1:14 and album 4 or 5.

FACT!

Are you perhaps mixing Earth and Yoof up? I think you are. FACT!
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 09:39 AM   #6
thesilverrocket
little trouble girl

thesilverrocket has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It is well known that Lee was a DeadHead in the 1970s. And it is also noted that Kim traveled to see the Dead play at the Filmore in SF around the same time.

The Dead are alright by me, too. I have drawn many comparisons between the two bands; musically and the cult-like following both bands enjoy(ed).
Old 04.29.2009, 10:50 AM   #7
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not the biggest Dead fan but too many weakminded insiginificants get some kind of personal power over disparaging them and their fans for no reason other than its usually safe to stand behind the bully..
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Eli Renfro
little trouble girl

Eli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
Observe:

Yeah, and also Lee went back to his Deadhead roots on the new album and covered a Dead song. Don't believe me? Check out track 3 of this:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd198...1.sbeok.flac16

Can't wait for them to bust out Dark Star -> Death Valley '69 -> Dark Star for this summer's tour, that will really melt some faces.
Old 04.29.2009, 12:07 PM   #9
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Renfro
Yeah, and also Lee went back to his Deadhead roots on the new album and covered a Dead song. Don't believe me? Check out track 3 of this:

Can't wait for them to bust out Dark Star -> Death Valley '69 -> Dark Star for this summer's tour, that will really melt some faces.

Do not underestimate the connections between Diamond Sea and Dark Star. 1: (abbreviation) = (abbreviation) : DS = DS
2: -->space-->drums
3: mysto-cosmic lonely drifting in sea/space lyric
4: -->feedback
5: two bassists<--- - - - --->two drummers
6: Lee's not-so-secret past/ "Dead are all right"/Thurston's tie-bleached tee shirts/Kim's groovey stage dancing/Steve's "Rolling Thunder" drum circle album w/ Native American shamen
7: {{{avant-improv quasi-jazz rock}}}

THE SONIK-DEAD

THE GRATEFUL YOUTH

i've been thinking of downloading all available Dark Stars and all available Diamond Seas, and creating some megalithic monster mega-mix like Greyfolded to the nth degree that lasts for two weeks.

LIVE DEADth (cassette, SST, 1985)

LIVE YOUTH (2LP, Warner Bros. 1969)

p.s. archive.org rules, especially when cross-referenced with this: http://www.deadlists.com/dlsite/dark_star.txt

from god's mouth: "on the new album, SY joined forces with the remaining members of the dead and led zeppelin and made a quadruple-disc rock-opera concept-album about space exploration."
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 12:13 PM   #10
thesilverrocket
little trouble girl

thesilverrocket has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Yeah, this is right along the same lines of what I've been saying. If you can put together a megalithic monster mega mashup mix of DS + DS, I will pay to download it. It's a brilliant idea!
Old 04.29.2009, 04:49 PM   #11
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Renfro

I WANT THAT.
Old 06.09.2009, 08:07 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Observe:

The Grateful Dead have a song called "Turn On Your Lovelight" so I think it's fair to assume that Sonic Youth's entire career is based upon covering that song in various mysterious ways.

Listen to "The Sprawl" only a stoner could do that. Listen to "Androgynous Mind", the spirit of Pigpen lives on.

agreed. I used to have a remarkable picture of Thurston jamming out sick with a deadskull shirt on.. but I lost in when that computer crashed years ago. Good ol' San Francisco and the Good Ol' Grateful Dead.

i think the sonic nurse tour was an especially potent sonic youth manifestation of the power of the live Grateful Dead. In fact, during that tour I was thinking of making a sign that said, "2850 Days Since the Last Diamond Sea" but I smoke a lot of pot, and half-baked ideas like that rarely see an incarnation.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Observe:

sy board cheaper and safer than the local comedy club on amateur night, right?

too bad it's not as effective, you're not getting any funnier.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 11:03 PM   #14
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Dude, I was utterly bored when I made my joke topics. "not getting any funnier"? That's cool with me cause I'm not trying to be.

Old 06.09.2009, 11:27 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
sy board cheaper and safer than the local comedy club on amateur night, right?

too bad it's not as effective, you're not getting any funnier.

I was thinking just the opposite today, I said to myself, "You know, this summer character started out as a major troll, but he has developed some sophistication to his posts, and a little bit of substance" and so he is starting to grow on me..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 11:31 PM   #16
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
The Dead like Madonna, LL Cool J, and Yoko Ono are one of Sonic Youth's influences. No more, no less.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 11:39 PM   #17
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
How could you possibly start a thread like this and expect people to take you seriously. Really.
Old 06.09.2009, 11:45 PM   #18
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka

Don't mind me guys, just Garcing it up.
Old 06.10.2009, 12:24 AM   #19
summer
stalker

Are you saying.. that's Jerry Garcia? I don't know why but that surprises me.

Old 06.10.2009, 12:52 AM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
clomid periods
rabbit pain childrens motrin
kamagra jelly
impotence inversion table

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth