Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.26.2017, 08:19 PM   #401
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Rich Perotta is speaking tonight about a block from me. I'm not familiar with him. Should I go?

I would go if I had bothing else to do. But I can’t think of anything he’s inked that has been particularly memorable.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2017, 08:24 PM   #402
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Just read this and it was AWESOME so I’m reading vol. 2

Also this:

And this (I don’t believe the Oz reveal is legit... real reveal yet to come, IMO)

Old 10.13.2017, 03:14 PM   #403
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Sev, have you started White Knight yet? #1 came out last week.

I stopped "The War Of Jokes & Riddles" mid-way through and then had #32 spoiled for me which was sort of annoying but whatever. Gonna jump back into mainline Batman w/ #32 though since Joelle Jones is doing art and she's one of my absolute favorites right now.
Old 10.13.2017, 06:09 PM   #404
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Sev, have you started White Knight yet? #1 came out last week.

I stopped "The War Of Jokes & Riddles" mid-way through and then had #32 spoiled for me which was sort of annoying but whatever. Gonna jump back into mainline Batman w/ #32 though since Joelle Jones is doing art and she's one of my absolute favorites right now.

White Knight! I knew I had forgotten something!

No, I haven’t but I will.

Fuck the War of Jokes and Riddles and its dumbass Kite-Man bullshit. What a whopping let-down. Didn’t finish that.

Hey if you’re not reading DARK NIGHTS METAL you are missing the fuck out.
It’s super Bat-centric (like, super Bat-centric[/i]), and it has ripped off 2000 AD/Judge Dredd’s “Deadworld” and “Judge Death” pretty blatantly, but MAN isit satisfying!!!

Here’s a quick checklist of what your ass needs to read:
• DARK DAYS: THE FORGE and THE CASTING
• Dark Nights Metal #1
• Dark Nights Metal #2
• DNM tie-in: THE RED DEATH
• DNM tie-in: MURDER MACHINE
• DNM tie-in: DAWNBREAKER
• Dark Nights Metal #3

Also Marvel Legacy looks pretty baller.

I’ve been reading a ton of comics lately
Old 10.13.2017, 09:11 PM   #405
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Read Legacy tonight actually. It was good.
Old 10.14.2017, 10:22 AM   #406
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Read Legacy tonight actually. It was good.

White Knight #1 was good. Great art.
Old 10.16.2017, 02:14 PM   #407
noisereductions
invito al cielo

oh Sev, did you ever read The Vision series that Tom King did 2015-2016? There were only twelve issues total I believe. I've been reading them via the recent Director's Cut reprints, so I've read the first four issues so far and they are just, well, brilliant.

I mean it's not a superhero story - at all. The short version is that Vision decides he wants to have a family. So he synthesizes a wife and two kids and they move to the suburbs. And then it's this weird tragic story about... well. Things.

I don't really want to spoil anything. I can only say that I really can't even compare it to another comic book. It's really just incredible.
Old 10.16.2017, 03:28 PM   #408
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh Sev, did you ever read The Vision series that Tom King did 2015-2016? There were only twelve issues total I believe. I've been reading them via the recent Director's Cut reprints, so I've read the first four issues so far and they are just, well, brilliant.

I mean it's not a superhero story - at all. The short version is that Vision decides he wants to have a family. So he synthesizes a wife and two kids and they move to the suburbs. And then it's this weird tragic story about... well. Things.

I don't really want to spoil anything. I can only say that I really can't even compare it to another comic book. It's really just incredible.

Hmm. Interesting! They have that at my local library and I’ve eyed it but never read it. Not really a Vision fan at all.

But I probably will now. Thanks!

Tom King is something special.
This Vision thing you’re talking about sounds similar in tone to his ABSOLITELY BEAUTIFUL and HILARIOUS and utterly tragic new “Mister Miracle” run. Seriously one of the most unique comics I’ve read in ages. Absolutely devastating and sad and funny, and very much NOT a superhero story.

Starts with “Mister Miracle”/Scott Free trying to complete the most epic “escape” of his career — an escape from death afteran attempted suicide. Then it gets really dark...I would recommend the living FUCK out of it.
Old 10.16.2017, 03:35 PM   #409
Severian
invito al cielo

Variant cover for Mister Miracle (2017-) #3

The second issue is, like, award-worthy. I swear. It’s just about perfect, and it’s getting tons of hype. I’ve never even really paid attention to this character until now, but WOW.
Old 10.16.2017, 03:42 PM   #410
noisereductions
invito al cielo

dude, when I saw Mister Miracle #1 I was like "hmm... that reminds me of the Vision comic." So yeah. I'll check it out gladly. I didn't even realize (or remember) that King was doing it so yeah it totally sounds like he's basically doing something similar for DC w/ this book that he did for Marvel a couple years back. Count me in!

If they hey Vision at your library - get it. Seriously. There are some comics where I'm like "hey you might like this." This isn't one of this. This is one where I'm saying "TRUST ME ON THIS ONE" y'know?
Old 10.16.2017, 05:52 PM   #411
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
dude, when I saw Mister Miracle #1 I was like "hmm... that reminds me of the Vision comic." So yeah. I'll check it out gladly. I didn't even realize (or remember) that King was doing it so yeah it totally sounds like he's basically doing something similar for DC w/ this book that he did for Marvel a couple years back. Count me in!

If they hey Vision at your library - get it. Seriously. There are some comics where I'm like "hey you might like this." This isn't one of this. This is one where I'm saying "TRUST ME ON THIS ONE" y'know?

I believe you and I will check it out. I have total faith in Scott King right now. Funnily enough, his Batman work is actually his least impressive (except for that excellent Swamp Thung one shot in April).

The new Mister Miracle thing is just incredible. Newsarama (a comic book website of questionable editorial quality, but meh) has given every issue a 10/10. It’s a wonderful ode to Jack Kirby that embraces the cosmic epic weirdness of his characters as well as the deep personal and emotional elements, while still moving it forward and doing something *truly* new.

It’s a mystery, and Scott Free is obviously in the process of going insane on some level, but he can’t quite grasp it. It’s like what an intergalactic war story about demigods might look if it were written by Wes Anderson. And it’s haunting and hilarious, as I said.

It does sound like there’s some similar genre bending going on with the Vision comic you mentioned, so I will totally pick that up this week. Promise.
Old 10.16.2017, 07:15 PM   #412
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Cool cool. I really think you will like it. Wes Anderson doing American Beauty... With Robots is prob as close descriptor as I can give it.

I will plan to grab Mister Miracle next comic shop stop.
Old 10.16.2017, 08:54 PM   #413
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I will plan to grab Mister Miracle next comic shop stop.

Old 10.16.2017, 08:56 PM   #414
Severian
invito al cielo

Funny that we both mentioned Wes Anderson. Dark Wes Anderson though. “Needle in the Hay” scene in Tennenbaums Wes Anderson.

Actually... that’s super accurate.

Old 10.17.2017, 05:44 PM   #415
Severian
invito al cielo

Marvel Legacy #1 was indeed good. Even if the word “legacy” was used about 1,000 times more than necessary. And even if it is just a big ass honking “DC Universe Rebirth” rip-off like cuh-rrraaaazy.

Eterrnals and Celestials instead of Watchmen and Manhattan, fucking with time and “legacies.”

Still very cool though. Never would have thought the “1,000,000,000 B.C. Avengers” would have done it for me, but they kinda did.
Old 10.17.2017, 06:02 PM   #416
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yeah I thought that part was gonna be lame... But it somehow worked.
Old 10.17.2017, 07:02 PM   #417
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah I thought that part was gonna be lame... But it somehow worked.

I mean, 1 million B.C.? That’s a fucking lot of B.C.. I thought it would be a lame pre-Thor Thor, but instead it was a semi-worthy Odin, which totally worked (and also seemed to cement the fact that Marvel is indeed and extension of Norse mythology, of Odin “created” Earth... meh). And an unnamed Black Panther type, ostensibly acting as the guardian of Wakanda (which is now, like, a cosmic thing?h”), and an O.G. Spirit of Vengeance riding a wooly mammoth. That was cool. I thought they were going to try to fit Cap and Iron Man in there (like, have some guy using tools from the Bronze Age, I guess? As early Iron Man? I dunno. Glad that didn’t happen.)

I want more Odinson.

MORE ODINSON.

Whole thing really is a flagrant rip of Rebirth though. Fer serious. I take no joy in saying that, but that’s what’s happening.
Old 10.19.2017, 06:27 AM   #418
Severian
invito al cielo

NR - I picked up the first two Vision books by Tom King at the library — “Little Worse than a Man” and “Little Better than a Beast.”

I can tell you right of the bat that the art is nowhere near as compelling or beautiful as that of “Mister Miracle,” which is truly every bit as top-notch as the writing. But I’m still excited to read these.

I also picked up the first two volumes of “new” Thor, which is now kind of old, but yeah.

I’ve read a bunch of crap lately. Alias Investigations on the MAX imprint, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, The New Avengers: Breakout, Deadpool’s Skrull war antics from 2009 or whatever, Captain America: the Winter Soldier, and Thor by J.Michael Straczynski. Also other stuff. There’s some decent free reading on Amazon Prime, btw.

I also read Teen Titans: Rebirth book 1 (“Damian Knows Best”) and god... bunch of other shit.

Dark Nights: Metal is still awesome. If you haven’t read that, you’re not into comics.
Old 10.19.2017, 07:27 AM   #419
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Those two Vision books are the only two Vision books man. The series was only 12 issues.

Art preference is well, preference of course. I find the Vision art super easy on the eyes. Soothing almost.

Re: Dark Nights Metal... I know you want me to be interested in it. But I can't seem to get myself to be. I think this is just one of those cases of "we have similar interests, but prefer different things within those interests." Of course we know that you're way more into DC than I am. And I can only juggle so many Bat-books at once. I'm planning to get back into the main series now that Joelle Jones is doing the art. And White Night looks really good.

Alias - YES! Both Alias and The Pulse are so so great. A million times better than the current JJ series which feels so aimless.

Astonishing Whedon X-Men is totally on my want-to-read list.

I do have Prime and I often download free stuff there... but then never read it. As convenient as tablet comics sound, I just never seem to actually read them and instead go over to my always growing pile of physical comic books that I still have unread.

I still keep my stupid little reading journal blog, but here's what I've read most recently:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #10
Astonishing X-Men (2017) #2
Hawkeye #9
Marvel Legacy #1
TMNT #73
Runaways (2017) #1
The Vision: Director's Cut #2 (issues 3&4)
Old 10.19.2017, 02:18 PM   #420
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Those two Vision books are the only two Vision books man. The series was only 12 issues.

Art preference is well, preference of course. I find the Vision art super easy on the eyes. Soothing almost.

Re: Dark Nights Metal... I know you want me to be interested in it. But I can't seem to get myself to be. I think this is just one of those cases of "we have similar interests, but prefer different things within those interests." Of course we know that you're way more into DC than I am. And I can only juggle so many Bat-books at once. I'm planning to get back into the main series now that Joelle Jones is doing the art. And White Night looks really good.

Alias - YES! Both Alias and The Pulse are so so great. A million times better than the current JJ series which feels so aimless.

Astonishing Whedon X-Men is totally on my want-to-read list.

I do have Prime and I often download free stuff there... but then never read it. As convenient as tablet comics sound, I just never seem to actually read them and instead go over to my always growing pile of physical comic books that I still have unread.

I still keep my stupid little reading journal blog, but here's what I've read most recently:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #10
Astonishing X-Men (2017) #2
Hawkeye #9
Marvel Legacy #1
TMNT #73
Runaways (2017) #1
The Vision: Director's Cut #2 (issues 3&4)

Well, Dark Nights: Metal is not really a bathbook. Honestly, the tie-ins are all about alternate reality characters that are definitely NOT Batman, but are Dark Multiverse versions of Bruce Wayne. They’re about other characters, and new characters. I don’t love ALL of it, but it’s one of the most worth-reading major titles out there. For an “event” it’s surprisingly addictive and fun.

Batman hasn’t been in any books since the second issue.

Anyway...

Now reading the Vision series and you’re right, it’s blooody amazing.
I hear Tom King worked for the CIA before writing. Smart dude.
Strongly dislike the art, but the story is bumpin’ and creepy.

Mister Miracle... now! Do it! Read it now! Read Mister Miracle #1 you bastard! I can’t do all the leg work in this kinda friendship
181920 21 22 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth