Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Record Store Day's Black Friday 2014
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.22.2014, 01:48 PM   #1
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

Here's the list. My picks:

Official Release Series Discs 5-8 - Neil Young. Box set with Tonight's The Night, On The Beach, Zuma and -for the first time in 41 years - Time Fades Away. Who knows how much this stuff's gonna go for, though...

Pieta 10" - St. Vincent

Pax-Am Sessions 7" - Jenny Lewis

"Fade Into You"/"Outside" 7" - J Mascis

Morrissey Curates the Ramones 12" - Ramones

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2014, 01:58 PM   #2
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm. Fairly interesting. Nothing I'll be busting the doors down for.
Old 10.22.2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
holy shit gmku pops back in!

is Black Friday a second record store day?

I want the vinyl of the Gentlemen AFGHAN WHIGS reissue.
Old 10.22.2014, 02:23 PM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Started to miss you guys.

Maybe the Miles Davis things. I'm not familiar with those particular releases, though.
Old 10.22.2014, 02:27 PM   #5
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

According to http://www.recordstoreday.com/Page/1210 :

Quote:
Q: Is Black Friday really Record Store Day II?

A: No. The special releases for Record Store Day are made to be sold solely at independently owned record stores on the day that Record Store Day takes place (the third Saturday of every April) whereas Black Friday releases are made for the holiday season. This means stores will launch the special releases on Black Friday but may choose to carry them beyond Black Friday (as supplies last, they are still limited runs). Black Friday is really more of a special release date then a one-day “holiday” like Record Store Day.

These independently owned record stores/shops will also choose whether or not they want to sell their Black Friday releases on their websites to draw attention to the fact that many of them offer an excellent customer service option for those who wish to support independently owned record stores via internet purchases during the holiday season and beyond.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.22.2014, 02:32 PM   #6
gmku
invito al cielo

I do dig the cover art.

Quote:

Old 10.22.2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Yesterday during the @soundawakeradio broadcast, the King of Grief mentioned the new David Bowie single was set to be released on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving)......guessing a few artist are trying to start a record store day.

Hello gmku!

Quote:

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2014, 03:18 PM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

Hello, Bytor. Surprisingly, I thought, the BF record days I saw in Asheville were very quiet. A little busy but nothing like the doorbusters on Record Day.
Old 10.28.2014, 05:56 PM   #9
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
this is certainly "this listy"
Lizzy Mercier Descloux Fire/Morning Light (duet with Patti Smith)

I have no idea where I'd be able to buy these things in NYC now that Kim's and J&R have closed, I guess Other Music but I wouldn't step near because itsnot worth waiting in line for several hours.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Man, you read my mind on this one. Not only is it (probably) my favorite Whigs album, but the album cover is utterly brilliant. Mostly because it's just subtle enough to be disturbing to people who overthink things. I'll bet it's innocuous as hell to the rest of the world.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I also want to get my hands on the reissue of Lonesome Crowded West. "...Long Drive.." too, but I don't feel the same urgency to buy that one.

Just thinking about LCW, which I haven't listened to in a good two years, gives me chills. It reminds me of a time when Modest Mouse was a downright crippling live act... When their music was so full of ire and venom and post-apocalyptic bible dust that comparing them to Pavement felt insulting, not only to the “you don't want to fuck with me, I've got Unibomber eyes and nothing to lose” vibe of MM in full-on "Trucker's Atlas" bipolar mania, but to the gleeful lightness of of Malkmus and his clown troop of pranksters.
They were so serious they made your life feel serious, and for a while they were the best band in the world.

It's hard to believe that band ever existed. Someone must have performed an exorcism on them in '02.

Anyway...
Old 11.06.2014, 10:24 PM   #12
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I am getting:

Morrissey/Ramones
Faith No More
Imagine Piese Flaming Lips
Soundgarden B Sides Collection
Old 11.07.2014, 12:19 AM   #13
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
I am getting:

Morrissey/Ramones
Faith No More
Imagine Piese Flaming Lips
Soundgarden B Sides Collection

Whoah, whoah... Imagine Piese?? I haven't heard about that one.
Did they ever release The Time Has Come to Shoot You Down... What A Sound on CD? I have never seen it, and I think it would be a badass RSD reissue.

Also, Heady Nuggs needs a CD release. Of course the vinyl box is awesome, and ultimately about 100x cooler than a cd release would be, but I feel like it interrupted the flow of the career-spanning reissue project.

Finally the Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid (cd's marked 1-3)
The Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg (cd's marked 4 & 5)
Heady Nuggs (Well, one would think this would contain markings 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10, being a collection of the first 5 WB albums, minus Zaireeka, but we'll probably never find out, because - y'know - who would want to own a CD twice, right? Well, fuck you, because I would, and so would every fucking fanboy record labels hawk their re-pressed meat to every time a new unheard demo is dug out from someone's petrified shite!

I just can't stand it when bands dont follow through on their massive projects and archival undertakings (ahem, Sonic Youth stopping their already skewed and out of order reissue series JUST WHEN "SISTER" IS THE NEXT LOGICAL RUNNER UP?!??? Eh?! ANYONE! Ok I'm getting a hernia.)

.. But w/ the Lips there's more to it: see, anyone who wasn't swimming in cash when "Heady Nuggs" was first released.. Especially those who have not made up for their past deficit by going to work for the Koch brothers and making a goddamn mint in the years since... well, they're FUCKED, because the box set was ltd. Edition, and sold out fairly quickly (Lips fans are like Dead fans, Dylan fans, and Phish fans... They invest every penny they make into buying expensive recordings, collectibles, live shows, etc.

Now they're all selling their $175 Nuggs boxes for, like, $300-$500 on eBay, and as long as a CD edition doesn't drop, poor bastards are going to drop huge sums of money on records that cost $12 a pop individually.

So releasing a CD version would help people who aren't predatory vinyl flippers with fat wallets to match their fat blunts and fat asses get their hands on the actual content. And kids! Remember kids? Well, maybe even a kid or two could afford to own that sweet, sweet boxed set that was Rendered LIKE, INSTANTLY OBSOLETE WHEN THE BAND KEPT RECORDING NEW LP's AFTER 2002.

For fuck's sake, it's missing 3 proper albums, one more-or-less proper album with a circus of cameos (Heady Fwends), two really really really long fucking songs, the shorter of which is longer than Heady Nuggs in its entirety, and 3 album reconstructions, as well as some oddly packaged jobbers and throwaway collabo singles that didn't make the Heady Fwends cut, some WEIRDASS film score, a handful of holiday themed releases, one "soundtrack EP" for an adaptation of bigass homophobic Orson Scott-Card's Ender's Game, which nobody apparently asked the band to make, and which was not featured in the film or the accompanying soundtrack, but contains some of their best mom-album tracks in a decade, and ONE album as a completely different band that sounds pretty much like Embryonic-era Flaming Lips (don't tell)

Fucking shit needs to be on cd, goddammit. And numbered appropriately, because it's almost time to release the NEXT volume of album reissues, and I for one don't like to fucking wait!

Being a Lips fan is soooo hard. (Nah, actually it's awesome. Can't even keep track of all the new shit, and there's always more coming. Haters keep hating, but I'm living in Christmasland over here.
Old 11.07.2014, 02:49 AM   #14
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
I have no idea where I'd be able to buy these things in NYC now that Kim's and has closed.

NOOOOO!!!!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I also want to get my hands on the reissue of Lonesome Crowded West. "...Long Drive.." too, but I don't feel the same urgency to buy that one.

Just thinking about LCW, which I haven't listened to in a good two years, gives me chills. It reminds me of a time when Modest Mouse was a downright crippling live act... When their music was so full of ire and venom and post-apocalyptic bible dust that comparing them to Pavement felt insulting, not only to the “you don't want to fuck with me, I've got Unibomber eyes and nothing to lose” vibe of MM in full-on "Trucker's Atlas" bipolar mania, but to the gleeful lightness of of Malkmus and his clown troop of pranksters.
They were so serious they made your life feel serious, and for a while they were the best band in the world.

It's hard to believe that band ever existed. Someone must have performed an exorcism on them in '02.

Anyway...

I agree with you 100%. Some people around these parts foolishly write-off Modest Mouse the way they would - say - a Weezer or something simply because of "Float On" and/or the "unpopular" use of their music in a Nissan commercial. Fuck that. Modest Mouse is/was a mutherfucker of a band and The Lonesome Crowed West is one of the best indie records of all time. People bash Pitchfork around here too and I totally get that based on what they've become, but this review is simply amazing...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...-crowded-west/

I haven't listened to The Lonesome Crowded West in a while, but I've had it on repeat for 3 days now after reading that review. Put it on a slightly-louder-than-necessary volume level and let it rip. Trust me.

Also, Regarding the commercial, Isaac Brock stated, "People who don't play music for a living can criticize my morals while they live off their parents' money or wash dishes for some asshole." Perfect.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2014, 01:15 PM   #16
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Being a Lips fan is soooo hard. (Nah, actually it's awesome. Can't even keep track of all the new shit, and there's always more coming. Haters keep hating, but I'm living in Christmasland over here.

Sounds like a piece-a-cake compared to being a Bob Pollard completist.

Old 11.07.2014, 02:11 PM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
or a Sonic Youth completist.....
Old 11.07.2014, 02:38 PM   #18
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
or a Sonic Youth completist.....

True, but I dunno, man - I think Pollard & Co.'s got the edge over SY in this regard:

http://www.gbvdb.com/artist.asp?arti... Artists=true

YOW!

Old 11.08.2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
True, but I dunno, man - I think Pollard & Co.'s got the edge over SY in this regard:

http://www.gbvdb.com/artist.asp?arti... Artists=true

YOW!

I'm a fairly accomplished sy completist, and I've never really considered it very difficult. At least, I can imagine a future wherein I own everything that features the full band. Throwing solo/side projects in there complicates things, and I'm certainly not talking about owning every fucking bootleg spanning 30 years of live shows... But barring those two exceptions, I'm fairly sure I'll have the whole mess by the time I die.

Pollard and GBV is a beast unto itself: I am not even AWARE of at least half of the shit with the Guided by Pollard stamp on it. Also, I can only handle so much Pollard. The Lips and Sy are both completely different bands from one release to the next, and both bands run the gamut of genres ranging from hardcore to free jazz. Sonic youth more so than the Lips of course, but both bands have a lot of hidden goodies and surprises, peppered across their entire careers. Pollard has been the most prolific of them all, but if you've heard one handful of 12 albums and EPs, you've pretty much heard the next 12-50, making it basically pointless for anyone other than the most diehard Pollardheads to even consider aspiring to.

I am in awe of anyone who has that goal in mind. It makes my dream of completing that PhD while moonlighting as Editor, staff writer and founding member of the revolutionary new print/e-zine that puts Pitchfork out of business and brings integrity back to the field of music writing seem downright fucking practical!!!

I mean no disrespect to GBV, though. I have loved them for a vast majority of my life, and when I go through a GbV phase, I go through it hard.
I just feel like I'm pretty ok with the fact that I ow a few records from each era of their existence and couple Pollard projects. I have all the "classic" titles (Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Isolation Drills, UTBUTS, Do the Collapse, etc.) some of the not so classic titles (King Shit..., Instant Prince Whippet, a couple of the albums from the last 2 years) and a respectable single/ep collection.

They're just not an all time top (insert arbitrary round number here) band for me, so I feel no need to stress about the gaping holes in my collection.

The Lips and Sonic Youth are different. They live in the heavens with the VU, Aphex Twin, Unwound, Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 and a few others. It's Just a taste thing. So no offense.
Old 11.08.2014, 07:56 PM   #20
Severian
invito al cielo

It really pisses me off when I can't get my hands on something by Sonic Youth or the Lips. I was broke as fuck when Finally Punk Rockers... Came out. I had to steal the fucker, and it was not an easy or simple task. In fact I totally got caught... Well, not really. The dude manning the CD section of the [big chainstore associated more with books and coffee than anything else] where I swiped it totally knew I had done it. He even accosted me to inform me that he knew. Unfortunately this was weeks later and his accusation went completely unsubstantiated. I probably said something really snotty to him because I was kind of a shit in those days.

Poor guy.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth