Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Recipe thread! YUM!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2006, 02:33 PM   #1
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Lets start a recipe thread of yummy things you cook...

I will start. This recipe doesn't have a name, but its basically pasta and tomatoes and onion and mushroom and feta cheese.

1. Boil some water.
2. Heat some oil in a pan 'til it's really hot.
3. Chop up some nice pomodorino (I think) tomatoes (you will need a very sharp knife), some red onion, and some nice chestnut mushrooms. (You don't need these exact ingredients but they are the nicest I have found).
4. Put the pasta in the boiling water along with a little oil and some pepper.
5. Put all the shopped up ingredients into the pan along with some pepper and some mixed herbs, and stir quickly (or it will all burn and stick).
6. By the time the pasta is cooked all the other ingredients should have formed a nice sort of not-very-runny sauce.
7. Drain pasta and stir tomato mixture through.
8. Slice up feta and stir through.
9. Open a nice bottle of wine and pour yourself a glass.
10. ENJOY!

OK, so now you do a recipe!
Old 11.23.2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I'll try to think of a recipe to put up for later, but for now here's a top tip: when boiling rice, add some stuff to it (things like bits of coriander seed, herbs, spices, you know the kind of thing). This has the combined benefits of: stopping the rice from boiling over; looks nice; tastes slightly different and it
smells nice while cooking.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 02:54 PM   #3
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
see its about time!

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 03:00 PM   #4
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
par boil a few potatoes and drain.
fry mustard seeds in oil until they begin to pop.
add the potatoes to the pan.
add a few chopped tomatoes and some termeric.
add plenty of chopped corriander and leave to simmer for a few minutes.

serve with some crusty bread.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 03:46 PM   #5
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
This is a recipe that I kind of invented by playing around, but I'm sure it's also out there somewhere, anyway:

Aubergine and Spinach Bake:

Ingredients:
1 Red Onion
1 Glove of Garlic
2 Large Aubergines
1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
4-6 Fresh Plum Tomatoes
Couple of handfuls of spinach
1 Red or Yellow Pepper
Olive Oil
Salt + Pepper
Dried Oregano
Parmesan Cheese.

O.k, first make a sauce.
Chop Onions, Pepper, Garlic, fry in olive oil until soft. Add Organo + salt and pepper. Next add the tin of tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes on a low heat.
Next, slice the aubergines length-ways, just under a cm thick.
Drizzle some Olive oil in the bottom of a roasting pan/tray. Lay the augergine out, to cover the bottom of the tin. Next, cover with the sliced fresh tomatoes, and then cover this with the spinach. Pour over the sauce and put into the oven on full heat, for about 30 minutes, or until the aubergine is soft.
Sprinkle parmesan over the surface and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
Serve with roasted potatoes or basmati rice.

That's it, quite simple, but totally yummy!

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 04:27 PM   #6
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent thread... I must say I'm quite ignorant of cooking (I only cook very simple things), but I want to change this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
will post tomorrow, "my" chicken recipe. its easy and always a success (even if you are bored or ignorant of cooking).

That will be perfect for a start...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 04:46 PM   #7
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
it really isn't difficult to cook nice things, you just have to get a feel for different flavours. i very rarely follow recipes, i just see what i've got and take it from there. its well worth experimenting with random ingredients.
Old 11.23.2006, 04:47 PM   #8
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
lucyrulesok do you live in London?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 04:51 PM   #9
lucyrulesok
100%

yes porkmarras i do... but i am at uni in oxford
see my post in the london gigs thread...
Old 11.23.2006, 05:24 PM   #10
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
it really isn't difficult to cook nice things, you just have to get a feel for different flavours. i very rarely follow recipes, i just see what i've got and take it from there. its well worth experimenting with random ingredients.

i know it is not difficult, but I guess I have always been too lazy to learn things or start experimenting... which is a shame, really.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 05:56 PM   #11
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I'll post a wonderful hummus recipe a tad later.
Old 11.23.2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I'll try to think of a recipe to put up for later, but for now here's a top tip: when boiling rice, add some stuff to it (things like bits of coriander seed, herbs, spices, you know the kind of thing). This has the combined benefits of: stopping the rice from boiling over; looks nice; tastes slightly different and it
smells nice while cooking.

Caraway seeds are nice in boiled rice. I prefer basmatie rice to normal long grain. It's better if you rinse the rice really well and soak it in some salted water for a couple of hours before cooking.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 06:27 PM   #13
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Chicago Town Microwave Pizza

Purchase double pack of Chicago Town Microwave Pizzas, plain cheese and tomato. Add a drop of tabasco sauce in the center of the pizza, then north, south, east and west. Sprinkle some mixed herbs atop it. Add some spicy sausage, ham, or any other meat, fish, or strange fruit. Microwave using directions on box.

Eat.

I was kidding, for fuck's sake- stop neg repping me.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I had this the other day. It came out pretty nice...not as nice as in a restaurant but that was wishful thinking on my part...Walnuts are bloody expensive as well.

Khoresht Fesenjaan

Ingredients: (6 servings)
  • Chicken pieces, 1-1.5 kgs
  • Ground walnuts, 500 grams
  • 3-4 onions
  • Pomegranate juice, 3-4 glasses (or 4-5 spoons of pomegranate paste)
  • Sugar, 2-3 spoons
  • 1/2 cup of cooking oil
  • Salt
Directions:

Peel onions and slice thinly. Fry in oil until slightly golden. Wash chicken pieces and fry in onions until color changes. Add 3 glasses of hot water and bring to boil. Turn heat down and let boil slowly for about 30 minutes adding more hot water if needed.
Add salt, ground walnuts and pomegranate juice or paste (if using pomegranate paste, add 2 more glasses of hot water and bring to slow boil). If pomegranate juice or paste is sour, add some sugar to the khoresht.
Care should be taken to cook the khoresht long enough so that the oil in walnuts comes out and the mix becomes quite thick. Khoresht fesenjan should be served with white rice.
Old 11.23.2006, 06:33 PM   #15
Iain
invito al cielo

And it looks the most unappetising thing ever but tastes good.

There are a load of other interesting looking Persian recipes here:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/...an/recipes/#P4
Old 11.23.2006, 06:42 PM   #16
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Nut Roast with Lemon & Garlic Stuffing

100g wholemeal breadcrumbs

225g finely ground nuts (eg. Hazels, brazils, almonds)
1 large onion, chopped
knob of margarine
1 heaped tablespoon of flour
150ml soy milk
150ml stock
1 teaspoon yeast extract or miso
1 teaspoon nutmeg
black pepper

Stuffing
75g wholemeal breadcrumbs
50g melted margarine
½ small onion, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
rind of 1 lemon, finely grated

Method

-Set oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 1 kilo loaf tin with a strip of greaseproof paper long enough to overhang at either end. Grease the paper well.

-
Make the nutmeat first
- Fry the onion in margarine until soft. Add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and gradually add the milk and stock, stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the yeast extra/miso, nutmeg and pepper and stir well.
- Add the nuts and breadcrumbs to the onion sauce and mix thoroughly to form a stiff but moist nutmeat.

Make stuffing
- Combine all the stuffing ingredients and mix well.
- Put half the nutmeat into the prepared tin and press down firmly.
- Pile the stuffing on top and press down. Put the remaining nutmeat on the stuffing and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1 hour until brown and firm. Cool slightly in tin.
- Run a knife around the roast then invert on to a serving plate.
- Remove the greaseproof paper and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.
- Serve with traditional vegetables and mushroom sauce. Can be frozen cooked or uncooked, thaw before baking.

Old 11.23.2006, 07:48 PM   #17
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Basic Tea Biscuits
Makes 15 to 18 biscuits

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup milk or light cream
3/4 cup shredded cheese (yellow or marble)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine dry ingredients & cheese. Cut in shortening with two knives or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the centre and add liquid all at once. Stir vigorously until dough comes freely from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and roll or pat to 1/2-inch thick. Cut out 2-inch biscuits with a floured water glass or biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Serve immediately with butter.

Yyyyeeeaaaahhhh! Make these, soooo good.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2006, 09:10 AM   #18
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
not to be a smartass, but

1. go to store
2. get maltesers
3. get home
4. open maltesers
5. put maltesers on desk
6. eat them
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2006, 09:19 AM   #19
lucyrulesok
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
not to be a smartass, but

1. go to store
2. get maltesers
3. get home
4. open maltesers
5. put maltesers on desk
6. eat them

not to be a smartass???

DAMN SMARTASS
Old 11.24.2006, 09:41 AM   #20
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Most of the stuff that I cook, I make up the recipe as I go along, based on what I find in the cupboard, and it's quite difficult to make the same thing twice. I think this is the recipe for a veggie sausage casserole that I made a couple of weeks ago:

One pack cauldron Veggie sausages
One onion
One leek
Two carrots
Half a swede
A not-too-big head of broccoli
Half a glass of red wine
Some tomato puree
A tin of haricot beans (drained)
A tin of chopped tomatoes
A crumbled veggie stock cube
Some dried thyme

Cut the veggie sausages into approx 2 cm slices, and fry them in a little oil until brown. Put to one side.

Cut the onion, leek, carrots, swede and broccoli into approx 2 cm chunks, and fry them in about 15 ml oil in a large frying pan for about ten minutes, then add the red wine and cook with the lid on over a medium heat until the carrots and swede begin to soften (about five to ten minutes).

Add the tomato puree to the pan and mix it in, then add the cooked veggie sausages and the drained tin of beans. Cook with the lid on for another five minutes.

Finally add the other ingredients and mix them in, then cook, covered, for five to ten minutes, then uncover the pan and cook over a higher heat for another five minutes. If the sauce starts getting too thick, add a little more red wine.

Serve with a baked potato and the rest of the bottle of red wine.

I guess you could use meaty sausages instead of veggie ones if you wanted, but make sure they're good quality ones that don't contain loads of lumps and fat.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth