Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ex-models
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.07.2010, 03:09 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I loved this band back in the day, felt like a nice mix of Beefheart (Trout Mask-era; clanging guitars, arhythmic vocals, all the instruments pulling in different directions), Gang of Four (even referencing some of their song lyrics), with an Arab on Radar vibe at times (you know.. weird guitar interplay, wrong notes, but with a distinctly post-punk vibe, that some might call "dancey").

A very interesting band, as they started out and were lumped kinda with stuff like Le Shok/Neon King Kong (who I LOVE; "We Are Electroction" by Le Shok is one of my favorite albums ever), Kill Me Tomorrow, and .. eh, the Locust, early Blood Brothers, that kinda stuff. But this band was a lot more interesting, in my opinion. They were noisey but it was ALL clean; they had no distortion. It was LOUD as hell, but every note was audible... like a Shellac/Gang of Four/Theory of Ruin-type deal I guess... that first album, OTHER MATHEMATICS, is kinda a masterpiece. The second album was a lot more frenetic and all over the place, spazzy, with kinda like a Whirlwind Heat-era "Do Rabbits Wonder?" vibe; messy, incoherent, sometimes downright wrong... but somehow catchy, even when it should be annoying.

Those albums were really cool, especially the jarring, extremely-out-of-tune clanging clean guitars, but then 2 of the members left and Ex-Models released an album called Chrome Panthers, which was way different than the previous 2 but still awesome. This was more "noise rock"; they were inspired by Einsturzende Neubauten, and this influence shines through in the dirty, clanging, metallic edge (now with distortion!), very repetetive but beautiful songs. The album kinda was like (sorry for all the namedrops) Orthrelm's OV, built around tiny little repetitions and then sudden changes out of nowhere. Despite having 2 members, it was brilliant! Live, they had 3 drummers for this album.

Anyway, that was 5 years ago, and there really hasn't been any new releases or anything. I know some members went on to be in Seconds, Oneida, and so on, but yeah. I miss this great band. They eventually changed their name to knyfe Hyts.

I highly reccomend people search out those 3 records.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 03:19 AM   #2
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Love Other Mathematics (Love Japanese Style ended up frequently in my "party compilations" ah ah), like Zoo Psychology, about Chrome Panthers, I remember it getting quite boring,but it's been a long time since I last gave it a spin though.
Nice band for sure.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 03:29 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, quick reply. I'm glad they're not forgotten!

They're a really addictive band, especailly OTHER MATHEMATICS. I just love how they did these miniature Gang of Four anthems, like one minute songs, distilling all the energy and creativity of Solid Gold-era GoF without the politics and without feeling the need to stretch it out. The one moment where they do stretch out -- the final song -- is the best song on the album; what a guitar line!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 03:59 AM   #4
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
i LOVE this band. zoo psychology is a masterpiece in my books, i love chrome panthers too, super hypnotic stuff (and buy american is the only time my cat decided my music was too weird and came to smash the speaker ahahah); still need to check out their first one ! such a great band. i hope they'll release something new one day...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 08:01 AM   #5
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
I like them, Zoo Psychology is fucking insane.

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 10:46 AM   #6
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Great band. No idea where they are these days
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2010, 11:33 AM   #7
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
ex models are pretty good. all 3 records are worth spinning once in a while.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth