Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page homemade percussion and junk drums
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2009, 10:47 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of this is common sense, some of it isn't. Very interesting:

http://www.rhythmweb.com/homemade/

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I used to use homemade percussion, made out of empty tic tac boxes, tissue boxes, and plastic packaging for easter eggs. I made a few recordings with it, but it wasn't as good as Einstuerzende Neubauten, like I hoped it would be. Then I got a drumkit.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 04:00 AM   #3
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
This is the thread where I prostitute myself.

http://www.myspace.com/leadsister2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PY73Owh0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SprTL...e=channel_page

Quote:
"Developing out of Austin Texas' best ever Carpenters cover group, Lead Sister, Lead Sister II explores the endless musical possibilities that exist beneath the inconspicuous exteriors of common household objects. Using such unorthodox instrumentation as the electric mailbox, weed eater violin, bicycle horn reed powered trumpet, bed springs, bobby pins and hacksaw blades, Lead Sister II are now poised to win the hearts of acid damaged basement dwellers the world over with this slab of their hypnotically repetitious and droning brand of psychedelia. Possible reference point for the unimaginative: Sun City Girls after listening to way too much Terry Riley, sprinkled on top with just a hint of tribal boogie-woogie and free jazz splatter." Sleeve arts by Jani Hirvonen (Uton)

"The mysterious Lead Sister II sounds like a bunch of Tower Recordings intros that never switch direction in the middle of a song like those New Yorkers often used to do. That doesn’t mean that this isn’t entrancing. On the contrary we get a bunch of weird percussive elements glued together to a whole that’s repeated over and over again and has an incredibly calming, even healing effect on the mind. The outcome could from afar be considered a pretty fucked up racket with its eclectic instrumentation (including but not limited to the electric mailbox, weed eater violin, bicycle horn reed powered trumpet, bed springs, bobby pins and hacksaw blades) and unorthodox whims if it weren’t for the aura of beauty and far-reaching meditative ambitions that comes with every hypnotically repetitious note.

For whatever reason Interplanetary Craft is detached from reality in a way that it perfectly illustrates some twisted dream full of abstraction, improvisation and moonlight trance. It’s a kaleidoscopic pattern of aural illusions and stumbling drum circle folk that plots a quite remarkable track through the outer regions of damaged folkscapes, ghost symphonies and forested drones. Whoever Lead Sister II are they have found their own enigmatic niche of stoner folk, somewhere on the trajectory line between The Tower Recordings and Kemialliset Ystävät." - Mats Gustafsson / www.thebrokenface.blogspot.com
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 04:08 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yes!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 04:23 AM   #5
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to atsonicpark again.

I've been thinking about trying out this kinda thing for a while...thanks for making it easier on me dude.
Old 04.14.2009, 05:29 AM   #6
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and bread

I remember you posting some of this a while ago. Its awesome, you'd be fun to make music/art/instruments with!!
Old 04.14.2009, 06:14 AM   #7
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
you can make a good xylophone out of railroad spikes, the problem is most of them have the same pitch, so you'll have to collect quite alot of them to get a decent set, but then you can just hit them with a thin piece of rebar or something and they sound good
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Lead Sister II is a project that Glice endorses.

I've recently completed an actual set of junk percussion. I might take photos on Saturday. It's an old clothes rail with fucked guitars and bits and bobs. It's for a particular project. Enigmatic or vague? You decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 11:22 AM   #9
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Hat and Bread is worthy of praise. Even more praise than actual hats and bread. And that's sayin' something.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth