Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Comic youthers of the board--- ASSEMBLE!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.08.2007, 11:30 PM   #1
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
HEy--
SO in recent days, months, I've discovered an otherwise forgotten and malnutured aspect of my enjoyment and personality and otherwise(eyes eyes{!})... And that is comics.

I think it was coming across Mitch Clem's comics (san antonio rock city, nothing nice to say) which not only rekindled my stories with pretty pictures adoration, they catered to my other rediscovered love, punk rock. And then I found more online comics- Joe and Monkey, Wigu/Overcompensating, Joe loves crappy movies -- I already loved achewood and married to the sea. And it got me thinking to make comics as well, and I've been drawing out things for my enjoyment and maybe eventual a pitch at the fabulous life of a webcomic cartoonist-- but that relies on a scanner and a computer that isn't rusted on the bottom (a long story involving a waterlogged floor).

And now where do you folk come in? What could be the purpose of such a post, a topic from this otherwise two-steps-away-from-a-lurker-boardie?

What comics do you all like?

Internet and paper. Underground humor, good action, great art, eroticon (ha!) I went to the comic shop today and looked around, then realized I didn't know where to start (other than Watchmen) and then realized I was going to be late for an oil change appoitment.

Is this where you come in? You are on a msg board, so you may be a geek-- but are you <i>this</i> kind of geek? ANd I am going to be? I can only... wonder.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 11:37 PM   #2
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Sometimes I go to comic store in town and buy some of their cheap stuff. (5 for a dollar!)
You never quite know what you'll find. I've gotten some old Disney ones, Super Goof was pretty good.. I like funny comics and action ones also. Pitt was another good one
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2007, 11:59 PM   #3
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
I cam across a small colelction book called underground and it was a bunch of nonsequiter wierdness-- almost got it except i cou;dn't plunk down 14$ on a whim--- i guess random hunting's as good an idea as any
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Old 02.09.2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey alex
but are you <i>this</i> kind of geek?

Bingo. I work on <h1 style="font-size:A JILLION;">web development</h1> 10 hours a day, every day.

I'll start off by saying your first post was a good read, and the board would be a better place if all the threads were as this one is.

I read quite a few comics, and I have picked up interest in them quite a bit lately. I know a common reply would be "Calvin and Hobbes", but I think it's essential to inform children about imagination and the importance of it. It's a great comic and brings up a lot of great pointers about life itself.

Another one of my favorites is Quimby the Mouse; it's hard to find but is really worth the search looking for. It's 1-150 strips on each page, so some of them are nearly all action-oriented because they can't fit the text, but makes it all the more interesting.

For humor, I go with http://www.angryflower.com/ . Bob the angry flower can be absolutely hilarious at times, and sometimes very mild. A lot of the ideas are completely out of the blue, it really grabs your attention. http://www.angryflower.com/blut.html

Questionable content.
http://questionablecontent.net/#
It's a web comic about indie (rock) culture. Some of them are excellent, but takes a little while before you find one that's hilarious. Has strips about how Sonic Youth's newer albums are "too mellow" too.

I'd like some good comic recommendations too, I need something to take my eyes off a screen.
Old 02.09.2007, 12:27 AM   #5
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Migraine Boy:

http://www.gregfiering.com/migraineboy/

It's not really that funny, but I like it for some reason.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 12:28 AM   #6
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
check out http://www.drmcninja.com. Dr. McNinja is a doctor who is also a ninja. it's one of the funniest things i've ever read. don't start with the last page, everything is in stories. go to the archive and read the first or second story first.

i second Questionable Content.

as for physical comics, Jhonen Vasquez would be my recommendation. "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" is disgusting, slightly disturbing and hilarious.

also, if you can find them, comics by a guy named Jeff LeVine are great. i'm not sure if he's still working, i've only got one book of his, "The Days Go By Like Broken Records."

plus X-Men. gotta love the X-Men.
Old 02.09.2007, 01:20 AM   #7
hey alex
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
I read quite a few comics, and I have picked up interest in them quite a bit lately. I know a common reply would be "Calvin and Hobbes", but I think it's essential to inform children about imagination and the importance of it. It's a great comic and brings up a lot of great pointers about life itself.

I'll just say as a kid I had stuffed tiger named hobbes... and that was my avatar here for a few months ('fore this one)
Also thanks for the kind words on my post. I Like writting before thinking and seeing what sticks... and Kerouac is about the only author I've read in the past couple o' months... I'm moving to Bukowski next, or maybe the book "the paper people".

I've read a few questionable contents... the frist one i ever read I found on stumbleupon... it involved a tiny robot zippin past the screenw ith panties on it's head saying it was the 'panty gnome' or some such shit. Then a girl said "that's random even for QC"... at that moment I gained instant dislike of the comic because it was a shitty strip... and the art was poor... but Later I checked out some later ones and they were waaay better, art also better.

I'll get around to checkin out some of these suggestions, probably tomorrow. I gottsta sleep for work. Quimby the mouse sounds pretty cool too.

Old 02.09.2007, 01:29 AM   #8
hey alex
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
I am an evil wife and sold all Kegpapa's comics a few years ago on eBay. He had some really rare ones too. It was just too much with our record/music collections, the art collection and his insane Star Wars collection too. The SW shit is worth a lot. Like enough to hopefully be really beneficial for the kids one day...
It's a good thing most of the stuff I own isn't worth anything. There's no monetary reason to part with it... the downside is that I have no reason to get rid of that damn 'aeroplane flies high' box set. IF anything, it looks cool... if somehting, it's 5 lame smashing pumpkins singles. ANyone want a spirally box set?

Old 02.09.2007, 01:32 AM   #9
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I have Spawn number one if you want to buy it for a million dollars.
Old 02.09.2007, 04:06 AM   #10
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
i collect Action Comics Superman every time the new one is in. really rad art and im a superman fan
Old 02.09.2007, 08:34 AM   #11
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
i collect Action Comics Superman every time the new one is in. really rad art and im a superman fan

same here, but not superman. i used to collect some spiderman issues, i've got a few rare ones
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 09:57 AM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i like comics and i read more comics than "real" books
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 09:58 AM   #13
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
shouldnt you say graphic novels?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 10:01 AM   #14
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
no. "graphic novels" is what people who are insecure about the fact they are reading comics say. it's kind of like when the wire call rock music Avant Rock, just so they can feel like they are more intelligent.
Old 02.09.2007, 10:03 AM   #15
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I like "underground" type comics a lot. In the early 90s I was eating that stuff up like candy, and I still like to indulge to this day.

Edit:
Some faves-

Dame Darcy
Renee French
Ivan Brunetti
Dave McKean
Dennis Worden
Peter Bagge
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 10:05 AM   #16
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I like "underground" type comics a lot. In the early 90s I was eating that stuff up like candy, and I still like to indulge to this day.

same, anything that isn't the same as the next thing, but having said that i am partial to a bit of x-men.
Old 02.09.2007, 10:08 AM   #17
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I still have all my X-Men comics from the early 80s.
Old 02.09.2007, 10:13 AM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

hernandez bros
james kochalka
charles burns
krazy kat
secret comics japan
dan clowes
chris ware
yoshihiro tatsumi
tony millionaire
joe sacco (political stuff only)
Old 02.09.2007, 10:15 AM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I still have all my X-Men comics from the early 80s.

really? what period is that, when storm had a mohican? (mohican storm era is my favourite)
Old 02.09.2007, 10:18 AM   #20
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

I actually was into it slightly before and during the "Storm mohican" era. I have the one where she first got that haircut.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth