Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Goodnight, Sweet Prince - atsonicpark extended remix
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.06.2014, 10:24 AM   #121
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Whoa, sad.

One remarkable thing I find about this place is that many posters have been around for years (sometimes with long pauses in between), some even well over a decade. An eternity in the internet world. We've outlasted Friendster and Myspace and we might even outlast Facebook and Twitter. We have already outlasted Sonic Youth.

Some of these people you meet in the real world, but most will only have an online presence in your life. Nevertheless it's a presence and behind the words on screen there are real people that you sometimes think about, people who are touching your life even if it's in the most superficial ways. You read about them switching jobs, moving countries, getting children, overcoming health problems, marriage and divorce.

My lurker days go back to alt.music.sonic-youth and I guess I've been posting here since 2002 or so. Adam must have too, because I remember him as far back as being 16/17 on the old Fullerine boards. Back then, a typical atsonicpark post would be to spill out endless lists in a "recommend me a band/movie" thread, or come up with a "top 250 albums of 2004" topic. Someone with an endless enthusiasm and an almost obsessive consumer of music and films, but without possibly enough time to digest it all. But then the same goes for his own output later on, which became just as abundant. While I was never a big fan of his music or films, I definitely admired his work effort.

In his later years he wrote longer and more personal posts, expressing his doubts, sometimes mentioning that he had bad health and hinting at not getting old, without ever really going into details. But 27... man, when I think about what I've experienced and how I've changed since that age alone... Very sad to hear it ended there for him. Hope to see you all complain about your hip replacements and pension cuts when the time comes.

edit: I hadn't finished reading the thread when I wrote this... so yeah, some of you expressed this better and more to the point on the previous page.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 10:24 AM   #122
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
What Paulybee says.
Old 02.06.2014, 10:28 AM   #123
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
A few years ago I posted a disturbing drawing of mine, which I made when I was still a child (I think it was called "Post Yr Childhood Drawings" or something like that). I originally intended it to have a self-deprecating comedic effect but Adam seemed to be really into it and baffled me by wanting to use it as an album cover. I was both flattered and confused. I granted him my permission but for some reason I didn't take the offer all too seriously, why would anyone use this piece of shit drawing as an album cover?

So it came to be that only last year I noticed that he actually stuck with the idea. The album in question was "Psychic Existentialism".

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...t=11265&page=3
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 10:30 AM   #124
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I for one won't be upset in the slightest to find that this has all just been a genius-level viral marketing technique for his foray into making low-budget documentaries revolving around celebrity death-cults, such as the 27 Club.

it's 2:24am, I get precious few chances at real sleep, yet I find myself thinking that it might be better if we just assume he's hanging out with Bruce Lee.

I think he'd like it this way.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 10:42 AM   #125
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit

Yes! Thanks, nicfit.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 11:00 AM   #126
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
So sad to hear about Adam :-(
My thoughts are with his friends and family.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 11:02 AM   #127
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I just heard this via Tumblr.
Don't really know what happened but I am very very sad to hear about this. You people are all still very special to me even though I am not here as often as I once was.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 11:24 AM   #128
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
sy posted a live verison of the diamond sea dedicated to adam on their fb page.

thought that was pretty cool. we used to make fun of sy together (in an affectionate way).
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 11:24 AM   #129
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
yes'm, and although not a great Facebook participant, I've kept up with you and know that it's been hard losing your friend. I hope that scattering his ashes brought you closure. I think you are a wonderfully talented young lady and it gladdens me to read that you are doing better within your own personal life these days. keep at the piano, and take it places.

Thanks. It really means a lot. I hope Adam's friends and family will be okay. Losing someone close is the worst fucking thing in the world and seven months later I'm still struggling with it. This will be no exception. I didn't know Adam as well as some of you I'm totally sure but his personality leaves a very clear mark on my memory. Again I love you guys a lot. This fucking sucks
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 11:33 AM   #130
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
I just called the funeral home to see if they would be streaming tomorrows service......unfortunately, they are not.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 11:37 AM   #131
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery

that is awesome.
Old 02.06.2014, 12:05 PM   #132
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i ll state the obvious here but i m having a beer and with no food, it kicked in: isnt it one of the most precious things to smile and even laugh with smth a person who just left us, had written, said, or done? yep.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 12:27 PM   #133
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
"One episode is a bonafide internet hit, but only because it has a cat playing keyboard. That episode in particular was a joke, called filler, that was about HOW the episode was going to be popular because there was a cat playing keyboard. And, sure enough, it was. The lesson to be learned is that you can easily be popular as long as you are obvious and safe. Which is sorta an obvious and safe point to make."

from his website... self explanatory, tells a lot about him.
Old 02.06.2014, 01:21 PM   #134
amyvega
bad moon rising

amyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't logged in for quite some time but I saw the SY facebook post and checked in to make sure it wasn't true. I see it was
RIP Adam.
amyvega is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 01:30 PM   #135
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses

currently untitled

no reason to exist
Old 02.06.2014, 01:33 PM   #136
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

Old 02.06.2014, 01:45 PM   #137
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Man, I just fond ut about this through Soic Youth's dedication to him on their FB page.

Whilst I, like a few on here, never spoke to him online or anything he was still a fellow SYGer and that's enough for me. Fucking shitty news.

Love//

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 02:17 PM   #138
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery

thought that was pretty cool. we used to make fun of sy together (in an affectionate way).

That's class, man. Proof-positive that someone, somewhere related to SY reads/has read the board(s) and knew such a prolific member of it had departed.

I remember the first piece of mail I got in college was a copy of a few of Adam's albums. I still play them on occasion for people. Now there will be a sad twinge to it all.
Old 02.06.2014, 02:50 PM   #139
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

sy are amazing for doing that.

thanks guys.
Old 02.06.2014, 03:12 PM   #140
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Terribly sad news this morning, my condolences to those of you who were close to Adam. I only had a few exchanges with him outside of this board, but for all of us who've ever spent an afternoon or evening knocking around here - even if we dont do so much nowadays - Adam's posts were a big part of the reason we did so.

I doubt there was anyone else our age, anywhere, who listened to music like he did, the way he seemed to have heard EVERYTHING was mindblowing. He was a brilliant advocate for music. Im trying to count the number of bands I like as a result of seeing Adam post enthusiastically about them on here. Im up to five, but i'll be giving his 100 Greatest albums threads a re-read over the next few days (Cheers for posting that Bytor) so I imagine that number will rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Thankyou for posting this Rob, I shall be sticking some of these on tonight in his memory.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth