Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.25.2016, 04:54 PM   #2041
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Kanye is a maniac.

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2016, 05:01 PM   #2042
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Snoop's "The Return of Doggystyle" comes out July 1st, partly produced by Just Blaze!
Quote:
"For me personally, I love all the experimental things that he's done the past few years, like the Bush album [with Pharrell in 2015], the album with Wiz [2011's Mac & Devin Go to High School soundtrack], the Snoop Lion stuff [2013's Reincarnated]," Blaze says. "But my personal favorite albums from Snoop, besides Doggystyle, obviously, are albums like [2002's] Paid Da Cost to Be Da Boss, Rhythm & Gangsta [from 2004], where he kind of goes back to that Snoop personality that we all first fell in love with. And I was very excited to find out that that’s the direction he’s taking with this album. And just coincidentally, some of the stuff that I’ve been working on lately just kind of felt like an updated version of that old Death Row sound, kind of an updated G-Funk. I just started working on these tracks and they had a lot of those similar elements, just felt like newer versions of that feeling."

Snoop's debut album, Doggystyle, was produced entirely by Dr. Dre, and lately he's been getting back into one-producer projects; 2013's 7 Days of Funk (under the moniker Snoopzilla) was crafted with Dam-Funk, while last year's Bush was entirely produced by Pharrell. But for now, Just Blaze says that while he's heavily involved, there are no plans for him to be behind the boards for the full LP.

"With me, I just like to be involved in a project whether it directly benefits me or not," he says. "So if somebody has a great song and I have ideas and I feel like I can make the song better, I’m going to offer those ideas. But I think that’s kind of all been part of me and [Snoop] having a better working relationship. The final scope and definition of the project remains to be seen, but I’m just excited. I’ve always been a Snoop fan since Doggystyle and The Chronic, so to get a chance to work with him a little more extensively than just, 'Here’s a beat,' has been great."
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2016, 08:41 AM   #2043
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Student tells me he is listening to de la soul.. i start a conversation about it and ask if he listens to Digable Planets too? He says, "yeah sometimes in the car.. with my mom." Hahahahahaaaaa still in denial about that dad rock stuff Severian?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2016, 09:55 AM   #2044
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Student tells me he is listening to de la soul.. i start a conversation about it and ask if he listens to Digable Planets too? He says, "yeah sometimes in the car.. with my mom." Hahahahahaaaaa still in denial about that dad rock stuff Severian?

As a colloquialism, no. We're fucking old and we like some music that is objectively fucking old.

But I still don't think that a lot of the music we've talked about (especially SY, and other weird/experimental musc) qualified as dad rock. There are brand new bands that are "dad rock." The connotation has nothing to do with age. It's about lameness.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2016, 10:05 AM   #2045
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Chance the Rapper played his "original" version of "Waves" from TLOP on Beats1, and shared a cut verse from "Famous" (FKA Nina Chop) as well...

Check it out at Noisey.

Personally, I get why 'Ye said thanks but no thanks to Chance's proposed structure for "Waves." The kid can sing pretty well in short bursts, but his voice sounds like shit in the version he played. I finally understand why Chris Brown's bitch ass was tapped for the song. Kanye's final cut could have used more... y'know... Kanye... but it's better than what Chance had in mind. (Sorry kid)

Now "Famous" is a different matter. That's probably my favorite TLOP track, but it is a little short for how brilliant it is. An extra verse from Chance would send it into the stratosphere. But I don't know if I'd vote in favor of plugging Chance's dope verse in before the "Bam Bam"/chorale sample loop.

At the very least, Kanye could have tagged the verse on as a coda to the song, like he did with "Frank's track" after "Wolves." Because Chance's verse is good as hell.

Also, apparently Kanye is STILL working on the closing movement in his College Dropout series. And it's still tentatively titled "Good Ass Job" (get it? Like... profession? Ahhh... clever, cuz we work after we go to graduate!!)

Sounds pretty fucking weird to me. Believe it when I see it and what not. But, hey, it's kinda news.
Old 05.26.2016, 10:21 AM   #2046
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
As a colloquialism, no. We're fucking old and we like some music that is objectively fucking old.

But I still don't think that a lot of the music we've talked about (especially SY, and other weird/experimental musc) qualified as dad rock. There are brand new bands that are "dad rock." The connotation has nothing to do with age. It's about lameness.
Dude sonic youth is "experimental" by OUR generation's standards but by the current youth? Not likely. Just same old combination of old folks playing noisy guitar and some guy singing like Lou Reed meets Bob Dylan.

Also lets be honest, nothing Sonic Youth did with feedback and alt tunings is necessarily any newer than what Hendrix did decades before them
I understand your desire to cling to idea that somehow our era of music is relevant. Its not. Personally i like it that way, even prefer it. Have you heard the crap kids listen to today?

Get Off SuchFriendsAreAangerous' Lawn

Old 05.26.2016, 10:23 AM   #2047
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

And i find it totally hilarious that you have yet to realize that to the current era our bands and music IS LAME!!!!!! We're a bunch of lamez now. Accept it. Embrace it.

Old 05.26.2016, 10:24 AM   #2048
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Kids don't even listen to our bands (aside from Nirvana) the way the when we were teenagers we listened to 60s and 70s music. Ironically kids today are more likely to listen to 60s/70s music than 80s/90s!!!

Old 05.26.2016, 10:27 AM   #2049
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
everyone knows that late 80's and all 90's hip hop is the new DAD ROCK.
Old 05.26.2016, 10:31 AM   #2050
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the true weird, Butthole Surfers, Big Black, early SY, Unsane, will always sound weird. it never got played out.

I bought Bleach when it came out, and Nevermind when it came out and while I loved those things to death they were nOT WEIRD. They were middle-of-the-road alternarock, which is why they appealed to so many people.

I play old Butthole Surfers songs to 20 year olds I know,a nd my friends play them for their high school art students, and they are straight weirded OUT. They do not have sonic context for such aurally wrecked music.....
Old 05.26.2016, 10:46 AM   #2051
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I been trying to tell him yo

Old 05.26.2016, 07:19 PM   #2052
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
the true weird, Butthole Surfers, Big Black, early SY, Unsane, will always sound weird. it never got played out.

I bought Bleach when it came out, and Nevermind when it came out and while I loved those things to death they were nOT WEIRD. They were middle-of-the-road alternarock, which is why they appealed to so many people.

I play old Butthole Surfers songs to 20 year olds I know,a nd my friends play them for their high school art students, and they are straight weirded OUT. They do not have sonic context for such aurally wrecked music.....

Agreed, Nirvana wasn't weird. Not compared to the Surfers, that's for damn sure. Or the Melvins. Or Sonic Youth, Big Black, etc. But they were pretty bizarre for such a big band. All those minor chords... it was like the opposite of the upbeat fist pumping punk played by the Ramones. It's super weird that a song like "Mill It" was on a 7x platinum, #1 album. Compared to the normal, Nirvana was quite strange.

I wasn't even referring to them when I spoke of weird music, but you have to admit, it's weird that "In Bloom" and "Heart-Shaped Box" are now played on classic rock stations. It's weird that that band is in the rock and roll hall of fame. Compared to the other alternative rock groups, Nirvana was extremely different. I don't believe they were middle of the road alt rock. Not at all.
Old 05.26.2016, 07:21 PM   #2053
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

No. That would mean that Mobb Deep and Dead Prez were in the same category as Coldplay and ... I don't know.. Fucking Travis. It's not possible. No. You are incorrect.
Old 05.26.2016, 07:34 PM   #2054
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
And i find it totally hilarious that you have yet to realize that to the current era our bands and music IS LAME!!!!!! We're a bunch of lamez now. Accept it. Embrace it.

These kinds of generalizations don't work. I used to frequent an indie record store, several days a week. 20 year olds would come in as swoon over Bell and Sebastian albums and Ghostface Killah. You work in a school, so I know you know that kids still wear Nirvana shirts for some goddamn reason. At least, they did last time I subbed, which was less than a year ago.

Some things will never be lame. Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Steve Albini... never lame. Beatles... never lame. Coltrane... never lame.

The day you get me to call Aphex Twin "dad rock" is the day I roll over and die. You're talking about kids as though they're all the same. They're not. Tons of them are really clueless and dumb, and always have been. The cool ones dig into our music, as well as the music we dug into from earlier generations like VU and Joy Division. Because those artists are cool as fuck.

Dad Rock is John Mayer, Dave Matthews, Coldplay, RHCP, U2, and all kinds of other lame ass shit from various eras. Maybe even Beastie Boys... which sucks, but it's definitely possible. Oasis. Nickelback. But those groups aren't "dad rock" because of their age.

Lightning Bolt is not Dad Rock. Hella? Not dad rock. Bikini Kill? Is Bikini Kill fucking dad rock?

We need to establish some operational definitions here, or we all need to shut the fuck up.

Radiohead is starting to feel like straight up grandfather rock compared to these other groups that you're attempting to sell as dad rock.

Operational definitions or no conversation. This is some bullshit right now.
Old 05.26.2016, 07:57 PM   #2055
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
These kinds of generalizations don't work. I used to frequent an indie record store, several days a week. 20 year olds would come in as swoon over Bell and Sebastian albums and Ghostface Killah. You work in a school, so I know you know that kids still wear Nirvana shirts for some goddamn reason. At least, they did last time I subbed, which was less than a year ago.

Some things will never be lame. Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Steve Albini... never lame. Beatles... never lame. Coltrane... never lame.

The day you get me to call Aphex Twin "dad rock" is the day I roll over and die. You're talking about kids as though they're all the same. They're not. Tons of them are really clueless and dumb, and always have been. The cool ones dig into our music, as well as the music we dug into from earlier generations like VU and Joy Division. Because those artists are cool as fuck.

Dad Rock is John Mayer, Dave Matthews, Coldplay, RHCP, U2, and all kinds of other lame ass shit from various eras. Maybe even Beastie Boys... which sucks, but it's definitely possible. Oasis. Nickelback. But those groups aren't "dad rock" because of their age.

Lightning Bolt is not Dad Rock. Hella? Not dad rock. Bikini Kill? Is Bikini Kill fucking dad rock?

We need to establish some operational definitions here, or we all need to shut the fuck up.

Radiohead is starting to feel like straight up grandfather rock compared to these other groups that you're attempting to sell as dad rock.

Operational definitions or no conversation. This is some bullshit right now.
Haha you're still in denial as you over think it as always. You keep framing those bands in OUR generational context not the current generation's perspective. Hey I'm just the messenger don't blame me for bringing what I'm supposing is to you bad news. Is what it is. We listen to dad rock. As rob mentioned, our music at the least weirds them out more than it interests them. There is no shame in it. I don't entirely mean it as a diss so much as a declaration

Old 05.26.2016, 07:58 PM   #2056
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Kid today is 18.. said he listens to Digable Planets.. in the car.. with his mom..

Old 05.26.2016, 08:57 PM   #2057
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Haha you're still in denial as you over think it as always. You keep framing those bands in OUR generational context not the current generation's perspective. Hey I'm just the messenger don't blame me for bringing what I'm supposing is to you bad news. Is what it is. We listen to dad rock. As rob mentioned, our music at the least weirds them out more than it interests them. There is no shame in it. I don't entirely mean it as a diss so much as a declaration

Ok, I get what you're saying and everything, but I keep trying to say that "dad rock" isn't generational. It has nothing to do with age. What the fuck would it mean if it literally meant "music that people who are old enough to be parents listen to"? That means nothing!

It could be ANYONE. Kids like Ed Sheeran (lame, dumb kids), but he's dad rock as fuck. He was in elementary school when I was in college (I think). He's far younger than I am, yet he's dad rock up the ass.

Again, dad rock mean something else.

Because most "kids today" have no fucking idea who Sonic Youth even is, and because the members of the band are still pumping out crazy music (did you hear Thurston's live split with THE THING last year?), and because Sonc Youth (and Joy Division, Butthole Surfers, blah blah blah) exist outside of mainstream popular culture, the CAN'T be dad rock!

If dad rock did have anything to do with age, then anyone over the age of 12 would be listening to dad rock. It doesn't. It's a term that applies strictly to music that is populist and normal and known by kids who think Skrillex or whatever in the cool thing thing these days.

I knew who the Eagles were when my dad played their shit ass music, and I knew by their shitty crappy songs that they were lame as fuck.
So they were dad rock.

Nobody Fucking knows who Sonic Youth is. Seriously, the average person has no goddamn idea. If you've been a Sonic Youth fan as long as I have, you know this. Best case scenario, you get a "I've heard the name, but I don't think I know them" kind of response, from people in all age groups.

What you're basically saying is that Sonic Youth is to now what the Eagles were to then. And that's absurd!!

Sorry, but we just need to either agree to disagree, or you need to sharpen your pencil tip and dig what I'm trying to say.

DAD ROCK IS LAME POPULIS MUSIC MADE BY LAME WHITE MALES.

Just because music is old doesn't mean it's "dad rock" ... ESPECIALLY IF IT'S NOT ROCK TO BEGIN WITH!!! And dad rock can be brand spanking new.

Music that exists outside of the popular mainstream consciousness is not subject to this shit.

I don't care what any of you say, Sister is not dad rock because if you put it on do your kids they're going to have fucking nightmares, or tell you it's noise... not tell you you're a lameass. Ditto for Aphex Twin. And Fugazi. And Glenn Brana. And anything else that holds a permanent place outside of the rules and structure of pop music.

Now Radiohead probably is a bit dad rock. As is Wilco. Sure. Yeah. And tons of others. But you're batshit crazy if you think Squarepusher's dad rock just because it's from the '90s you freaking label Nazi.
Old 05.26.2016, 08:59 PM   #2058
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Kid today is 18.. said he listens to Digable Planets.. in the car.. with his mom..

He is unlike most 18 year olds in more ways than one. When I was 18 you couldn't find me in the same fucking STATE as either of my parents. Your example is an outlier, darling. Don't pretend you don't understand that.
Old 05.26.2016, 10:12 PM   #2059
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
He is unlike most 18 year olds in more ways than one. When I was 18 you couldn't find me in the same fucking STATE as either of my parents. Your example is an outlier, darling. Don't pretend you don't understand that.
I'm not arguing with you. Believe what you want if its what makes you feel better.

Old 05.27.2016, 05:17 AM   #2060
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you. Believe what you want if its what makes you feel better.

Hey why you flippin scripts yo?
Since when are you not willing to argue with me? I think we get into something like this literally every week.
5393100101102 103 104105106113153 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth