Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Captain America: CIVIL WAR?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.02.2016, 10:14 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Or, as Marvel seems to be marketing it, capCIVILWARica ...

Anyone planning on seeing this?

Seems like the Batman v Superman thread is pretty dead, and even though I liked it and even though I'm a DC guy, I'm still excited for this less exciting but probably more crowd-pleasing, decaf version.

I don't give a shit about Black Panther, or really any of the characters here besides Stark and Rogers, becaus it seems like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too by pulling a bit from the comic here (the super unconventional launching platform for another fucking spider-man), and throwing in gobs of whatever the fuck they want to make it line up with the Cap films there (uh, Bucky?)... So that's irritating. I feel like Civil War would make an excellent finale to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, after all the Avengers flicks are done and Thor's done, and all the baddies are beaten. But whatever.

I hate Iron Man as a character and if this is anything like the comic, he's going to deserve to get the shit smacked out of him. Love Cap, couldn't care less about Spider-Man... but ugh. He's what people want to see, so. Whatever. (Just a dumb way to introduce what's supposed to be their flagship character, but I guess they've grown so shy about Spidey after so many disastrous Spidey films that they want to test drive this new punk out before they give him his own vehicle. Don't care. Spider-Man is ... quite lame.)

Anyway, I'm definitely going to be in attendance, just to see Cap clobber Iron Man. I don't have as much stake in this as I did in BvS, so it should just be good old fashioned dumb fun. Hopefully some folks die!

See what I mean about the marketing of the title? Poor cap.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2016, 06:32 AM   #2
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
I'm gonna see it. And you sort of can't make a Civil War movie without Spider-Man. He was a major player in the comics and his role in the grand scheme was basically the emotional balance of the narrative. I actually like Spider-Man as a character. But I know that he will just make a tiny cameo in the movie iteration of Civil War.

Never really cared much for Cap. He was very likeable in the Civil War comics though. Not gonna spoiler anything, but there's a pivotal moment where he has a conversation with Spider-Man and I thought it was some of the best writing I had witnessed in a comic book up to that point. This again is something that will probably not translate to the movie as it is decidedly on a smaller scale than the events depicted in the comics. But yeah, I don't care much for Chris Evans I guess. He didn't really have much of an impact on me. I liked The Winter Soldier, but for other reasons than Cap himself. It was just a tightly directed conspiratorial thriller.

As for Stark - Yeah, in the comics he's a real fascist. But once again - I don't think the movie will quite pick up all those vibes. Movie Tony Stark/Iron Man is actually quite likeable due to RDJ's powerhouse performance. And I don't think Marvel's gonna risk portraying him as the fascist tyrant he was in the comics. At least not quite to the same extent. I thought it was a weird move to make this part of the Cap-series as well. Civil War was probably the biggest event in the history of Marvel - a standalone Cap movie just didn't seem like the right format to tackle this issue. Then again, what is? It would make for a great series though. There'd be more time to develop things naturally, just like in the source material. And we're currently experiencing a revolution of the small screen. Production values have increased - a lot of series have proper cinematography, tight writing and an overall visual appeal that is very reminiscent of feature-length blockbusters. I could imagine Civil War as a kickass series.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I just re-read Civil War actually. Yeah, Spidey's part was important but that was older married Spidey. This is going to feature an Ultimate-style Spidey, high school age and just starting out as a crime-fighter (I think).

I know III can't really make a Civil War film without him, but I just think it's a really weird way to introduce what they hope will be their final Spider-Man. The "real" Spider-Man. It's just a strange way to start a franchise.

I think, as I mentioned, that Civil War would work best as a finale to the MCU. Maybe make it a two-parter that wraps everything up, and ends with the epilogue of the Civil War comics (bang bang). Doesn't that make more sense? I mean, Sue Storm was a HUGE part of the comics as well, as was Hank Pym, but you don't see Fant4stic making appearances in the trailers.

It's just been messed with to make it more suitable for the current state of Marvel.
I wonder if Daredevil will make an appearance. I remember reading an interview with Charlie Cox about it a few months ago, and the issue was not whether or not there would be a daredevil, but whether they would automatically cast Cox in the role. Doesn't look like there is any Daredevil at this point, so I don't know what the hell that was about.
Old 04.03.2016, 03:01 PM   #4
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
This is an adaptation so of course they aren't going to be able to faithfully adapt the mini-series. It's great that they have Spider-Man in the movie, I think it would be a waste if he was just in one scene. I'm also wondering how they are going to do Civil War, which was its own Marvel event, and then virtually right after give us Infinity War. Essentially mashing two different eras of storylines into each other.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah, it's going to be weird. Maybe that's why they're whittling this down into a Captain America storyline that only really relates to the source material where it's convenient to do so.

Nothing wrong with that though really. That's what Nolan did for all the Dark Knight films. Dark Knight Rises could easily have been called Batman: Knightfall, or No Man's Land and it would have been basically the same thing, since that film's story was basically just a splice up of those two storylines.

I have come to like Chris Evans's Captain America. I don't mind him as a comedy actor at all -- never have -- and I only didn't like him originally because I thought it was a bad casting decision, but he's done a damn good job.
Old 04.04.2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am reading the Civil War storyline in the comics and it is long and convoluted and boring. Hope it gets better
Old 04.04.2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Are you reading all the prologue stuff?
You can probably skip most of that and just but the TPB of "Civil War" itself. Then move on to the epilogue. The actual Civil War comics are actually quite short and sweet and to the point. Almost ridiculously short given all the build up.

When I say I re-read CW, I mean I re-read the 7 issue TPB that begins with the accidental explosion on reality tv, and ends with Tony in the shield helicarrier. That's all you really need as far as I'm concerned. Then move on to the post-CW shit, but stop after ... Well, you'll know when you get there..
Old 04.04.2016, 07:18 PM   #8
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I propose a drinking game, you have to take a drink every time they show Scarlett Johanssens' ass (or the model double they use).
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2016, 08:51 PM   #9
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
^^ i'll go see this if that game is still on. summertime mad bumpin nigga. maybe ill meet some bangin sweet nerdy white gurls. shit yeah!!! mmmm fuc whoop yeah, can't wait!!! let the motherfuckin credits roll so I can tie my shoes, be on top of this shit nigga! can't wait BOI! smooth sweet tight pants sag like mad fuc i gots that look. olive oil smooth fake ass emo hipster stole from the best nigga sheeit.

hyperventilating! this nerdy white boy psyched to meet other nerdy white thick bitches wishing for civil war biatch! rock out! goddamn!! love some me nerdy pussy!!!psyched boi, im sight!!!!

on sight!! mufuka on sight!!! nigga hate. on sight!! the weekend and future on the phone wit that tight skirt. hittin arbys on the way home.

hate nigga. hate. you'll only procrastinate!! ha! leayi elay hittin that fat ass!!!!

its mine!!!
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2016, 09:25 PM   #10
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
rock my de la soul memy self and i 1989 high top flat top giving will smith summertime head hair cut head. nigga im fly!!!

hate!!! nigga hatin nerd like you get a 1111 hate@@@ plus = hater.
Old 04.04.2016, 10:39 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

If you guys like Scarlet, watch Under the Skin. FFN galore.

Her breasts are not as bulbous and oiled as they are in Avengers, but she's probably sexier in Under the Skin.

Plus it's am absolutely beautiful film by a visionary new(ish) director, Jonathan Glazer. Kubrickesque and fucking awesome.

Old 04.04.2016, 11:20 PM   #12
pepper_green
Banned

I had a thang for Scarlett in Ghost World in which I would have fucked her brains out. otherwise besides that Woody movie I don't give a shit no more.

extra meh!
Old 04.04.2016, 11:41 PM   #13
Severian
invito al cielo

I like Keira Knightley. I would totally marry her character from any movie, even The Dangerous Method (in which she poops publicly).
Old 04.05.2016, 01:13 PM   #14
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I had a thang for Scarlett in Ghost World in which I would have fucked her brains out. otherwise besides that Woody movie I don't give a shit no more.
!

She was a cute little indie actress, and then she became a total Hollywood hack. I'm so sick of her promos for WNYC - they've been playing them for like 6 months now 2-3x an hour.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2016, 03:48 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Are you reading all the prologue stuff?
You can probably skip most of that and just but the TPB of "Civil War" itself. Then move on to the epilogue. The actual Civil War comics are actually quite short and sweet and to the point. Almost ridiculously short given all the build up.

When I say I re-read CW, I mean I re-read the 7 issue TPB that begins with the accidental explosion on reality tv, and ends with Tony in the shield helicarrier. That's all you really need as far as I'm concerned. Then move on to the post-CW shit, but stop after ... Well, you'll know when you get there..

the shit I DL'd has everything, prologues, asides, etc etc.,,,,,,

it is getting good now though....
Old 04.05.2016, 03:49 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I got Under the Skin ready to go sometime this week....
Old 04.16.2016, 07:07 PM   #17
Severian
invito al cielo

Read a positively glowing review of this the other day. Whoever it was called it the "Best Marvel Movie ever" ... Hmm.
Old 04.16.2016, 07:08 PM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

@Rob: what did you think of Under the Skin?
Old 04.20.2016, 09:09 AM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

awesome. Under the skin made me and my wife sit and think and weird out. it was very good.
Old 04.20.2016, 10:23 AM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

almost finished the Civil War comics. They could have handled the entire thing in 4 issues. quite boring, and now Captain america is dead.....

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth