Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.28.2010, 07:30 PM   #1
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
Never been a fan of live albums, really... But seriously, if there's a better live album than this one, I would like to hear it !

It's one of these live records where the songs are WAY better than the studio versions (and don't get me wrong, Talking Heads is one of my favorite bands).

Yeah, actually, it's seriously better than Stop Making Sense and it's not only my favorite live album of all time but it might simply be one of my favorite records. That 2-disc set (yeah, I'm talking about the re-issue) contains about everything you need about Talking Heads.

I don't really like Remain in Light and yet I love the live versions of the songs, don't know why...

So, what do you guys think about that one ? What's your favorite live album ? Do you think it's actually better for a band to sound better live ?

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 07:37 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
uhmm.....I actually haven't heard any live albums besides STOP MAKING SENSE. but...just about every live song I hear on that record is equal to or greater than the studio version...EXCEPT! Once in a Lifetime.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 07:38 PM   #3
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I really don't like the live version too much.
Old 07.28.2010, 07:39 PM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

oh and as far is it being good or bad to sound better live...I think it's great! I mean if you can deliver what was put on the album, all is groovy....but if you can make it sound better....fantastsic.
Old 07.28.2010, 07:41 PM   #5
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, you can really hear the guitar interplay, david byrne and jerry harrison are like the most underrated guitar duo
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 03:14 AM   #6
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite heads album.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 03:21 AM   #7
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
if i could have one talking heads album...

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 03:57 PM   #8
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw this tour in portland ME summer 83 - an amazing concert...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds cool. I dislike Talking Heads in general but Remain in Light has some interesting sounds and rhythms.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 04:20 PM   #10
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
this is from the mark prindle website

Like The Police, The Clash, Modern Lovers, Television, Mission of Burma and The Feelies, Talking Heads are a band that I acknowledge an affinity for without ever actually getting the urge to listen to them. "Once In A Lifetime" and "Road To Nowhere" will pop into my head every now and again, but aside from that I basically live a Byrne-free existence. Imagine then my eye-popping surprise upon listening closely to this double-live CD and realizing that the Talking Heads were one of the greatest goddamned bands of all time.
Not that True Stories was all that good. And Naked was pretty flawed. But Heil Hitler, their early stuff was so well-written, it's amazing (and embarrassing) that I was unable to see through the sketchy studio production to hear the rich, intelligent songcraft underneath. Heil Hitler!
Say - you know how sometimes when you're heiling Hitler, you feel a little pinching sort of in the arch of your shoulder? I had mine checked out at the hospital. For only $400, I found out I've got a pinched shoulder arch! Oy! You can't win!
Okay, so I'm heiling Hitler the other day and suddenly I get this feeling that I forgot to turn off the iron. I race home lickety-split and run headlong into my furious wife. "I'm sorry, honey," I apologize. "Did I leave the iron turned on?" She looks at me with disgust and snaps, "No... But you left the MAID turned on, you lousy prematurely ejaculating adulterer!" Oy! Hello, Doghouse!
Little Jeannie comes home from school one day and says to her mother, "Mommy! Today I joined the 4H Club!" Her Mommy says, "What does that stand for? 'Heil Hitler Heil Hitler'?" Little Jeannie giggles and replies, "No silly, it stands for 'Head, Heart, Hands & Health!'" And her mommy shrugs and says, "Hey, three outta four ain't bad!" Oy! Talk about a schlemiel!
These and many other fine comedy jokes can be found in my upcoming Doubleday title Turning 'Oy!' to 'Oi!': Helpful Hints for Borscht Belt Comedians Who Accidentally Get Booked for Nazi Skinhead Functions. Buy it by name!
But enough laughter and happiness. We're here to review one halibut ('hell of a,' roughly) live double-CD that follows The Talking Heads from their early days as World's Greatest Stereo Clean Guitar Interplay Band through their middle-era heyday as Society's Funkiest Africa-Style Nerd Art People Group. Let me begin by saying that the sound quality is astonishing. There is NO WAY these recordings could actually be from live performances. They sound dryer, cleaner and clearer than the studio versions! This is especially true for the More Songs About Buildings And Food and Fear Of Music tracks, which against all odds turn out to be full of gorgeous guitar harmonics, wonderful anthemic choruses, call-response playing, poppy slide guitarwork and all kinds of other brilliant and ear-friendly ingredients that had been buried under the new wave trappings and Eno mood ambiance of the studio releases. Shame on you Brian Eno and whoever produced More Songs About Buildings And Food - you took exciting creative songs and turned them flaccid! And thank you very much to whoever compiled this extended extra-long double-CD version of The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads (so-named due to Byrne's early habit of introducing every track with "The name of this song is..."), for it has given me a new understanding of the band's core strengths and individual purpose. I mean, you're already 13 songs in before you hit one that's even CLOSE to not great! The interlocking instrumental interplay, the odd twists of melody, the crisp dancey drums and bouncy bass, the paranoid vocals/lyrics -- unbeatable!
Any complaints I might make are trivial, the main one being that I don't see the need to include two different versions of "Psycho Killer" (one is mostly acoustic, the other electric - yet they sound remarkably similar), "Drugs/Electricity" (one features a gorgeous stereo call-response guitar swoop-up line; the other is much less interesting), and "Stay Hungry" (great chuggling drum/bass bit, but the droney one-chord runs and cheesy Kansas-style organ solos are a drag). Also, I could see one arguing that a couple of the Remain In Light songs seem a bit less interesting without the countless percussion/rhythm instrument overdubs that make the studio versions so excitingly dynamic. But overall, this is definitely the CD to purchase if you're wondering whether the Talking Heads deserved all the hype that they continue to receive to this day. Not only does it rule ass from head to toe, but with a set list that includes 6 '77, 8 More Songs, 9 Fear Of and 5 Remain In tracks (as well as two rarities), it nearly renders purchase of the first four albums unnecessary! The first disc will ruin Television and Sonic Youth for you 4ever, and the second will make you go, "Good gravy, they're makin' my bottom dance!" Hits performed wonderfully include "Once In A Lifetime" ("And you may tell yourself, 'This is not my beautiful house!' And you may tell yourself, 'This is not my beautiful wife!'"); "Life During Wartime" ("This ain't no party! This ain't no disco! This ain't no foolin' around!"); and "Take Me To The River" ("I'm Big Mouth Billy Bass! I don't care if your wife's asleep; get your dick out of my mouth!"). Ah yes, profane Big Mouth Billy Bass humor. I truly am "keeping up with the times."
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 04:31 PM   #11
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Mark Prindle is sexy. I hope he doesn't actually succeed in killing himself!
Old 07.29.2010, 04:39 PM   #12
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
mark prindle is essentially just an older version of atsonicpark

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

They are both lovable rascals though.
Old 07.29.2010, 06:15 PM   #14
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
"Take Me To The River" ("I'm Big Mouth Billy Bass! I don't care if your wife's asleep; get your dick out of my mouth!"). Ah yes, profane Big Mouth Billy Bass humor. I truly am "keeping up with the times."

I jsut nearly shit my pants after reading this.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth