Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY play at Nightmare Before Xmas ATP UK Dec 4th-6th
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.08.2009, 10:24 AM   #261
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
what a festival it was. musical highlights: SUN RA(!!!), dirty three, lightning bolt (2X), sonic youth, mъm, etc...

there were million of nonmusical highlights, the best one: dancing on sunday till 3am on Jim Sclavunos' records together with Warren Ellis, the tallest man in Belgium, Ian Svenonious and Pete Shelley. Also Jim actually playing Kenny Rogers and the First Edition's I Just Dropped In (To See In What Condition My Condition Was In).

Came back in Utrecht yesterday night at 1am and decided it was time for an afterparty. I feel that now.

see you next year!
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 10:44 AM   #262
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvdWee
you were the guy with the sonic youth hat, all weekend?

i did take my hat off for some of the time, see;
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...&postcount=559

also i saw a couple of other people with the same hat on, sorry i didn't get to meet you.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 12:06 PM   #263
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I've thought about buying a SY hat for a while. I think I will, it looks awesome.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 09:15 PM   #264
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
I finally got to see DV69 live!!! fantastic.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 04:14 AM   #265
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
One of my friends made this short movie about the festival, shooting live footage etc...it's really quite entertaining, you should definitely give it a try. "Solzenicyn" is that little plastic toy that keeps guiding you through the movie and that this dude kept wearing in his pocket all the time. (named after the russian writer Alexander Solzhenitsyn).

Notice the stupid chewing face at 6:02. It's me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RwHizJUGY

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 08:59 AM   #266
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome awesome weekend! Was really cool to meet some of the boardies in the flesh. Music wise, there was just so much joy, and several new discoveries. The Dirty Three were extraordinarily good. Thanks to Stu, I checked out Th' Faith Healers, who I didn't know at all, but who were totally mind blowing. Definite highlight. I was unsure whether De La Soul would be good live, but they were fucking fantastic! One of the most fun musical experience I've ever had. As for SY, they were amazing of course. Only the second time I've seen them live, so it's still a big deal for me. Lightening Bolt were also the shit!

Seeing MBV was also great, although a bit weird/difficult to process. It was just like "holy shit, it's MBV!", and that kind of prevented me from really clicking with it as much as I would want too. I came and saw the holocaust part at the end of the show again on Sunday though, and just curled up in the fetal position on the floor and let it completely consume me, and that was pretty amazing. I will admit though that their live presence is somewhat dull, but that's to be expected.

Sun Ra, EPMD, and the Lily's were all great too. The Lily's were another new discovery for me, and I really loved them. Need to check out their stuff.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 11:42 AM   #267
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Awesome awesome weekend! Was really cool to meet some of the boardies in the flesh. Music wise, there was just so much joy, and several new discoveries. The Dirty Three were extraordinarily good. Thanks to Stu, I checked out Th' Faith Healers, who I didn't know at all, but who were totally mind blowing. Definite highlight. I was unsure whether De La Soul would be good live, but they were fucking fantastic! One of the most fun musical experience I've ever had. As for SY, they were amazing of course. Only the second time I've seen them live, so it's still a big deal for me. Lightening Bolt were also the shit!

Seeing MBV was also great, although a bit weird/difficult to process. It was just like "holy shit, it's MBV!", and that kind of prevented me from really clicking with it as much as I would want too. I came and saw the holocaust part at the end of the show again on Sunday though, and just curled up in the fetal position on the floor and let it completely consume me, and that was pretty amazing. I will admit though that their live presence is somewhat dull, but that's to be expected.

Sun Ra, EPMD, and the Lily's were all great too. The Lily's were another new discovery for me, and I really loved them. Need to check out their stuff.

hahahaha

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 01:20 PM   #268
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Thanks to Stu, I checked out Th' Faith Healers, who I didn't know at all, but who were totally mind blowing. Definite highlight.

gald you liked them, it was really fun watching fucked up with you aswell!

Old 12.09.2009, 01:33 PM   #269
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
my jealousy knows no bounds.
Old 12.09.2009, 04:28 PM   #270
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
gald you liked them, it was really fun watching fucked up with you aswell!

It was! I bought the Peel sessions CD off the Healers after the gig, and it fucking kills! Reptile Smile is just an amazing track...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 12.11.2009, 03:23 AM   #271
stu666
Super Moderator

soundcheck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQ6LwkyQeM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6DD8fJ76A

Old 12.11.2009, 03:40 AM   #272
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I'm glad someone got those. I accidentally deleted mine.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2009, 11:40 PM   #273
lckyby
empty page

lckyby has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Amazming weekend. For me Yo La Tengo were the highlight. J + The Fog were great too, as were MBV (twice!) of course. Met J Mascis (x infinity) and saw his Svenonius interview!

I did think SY would do more of a festival set, but now I have had the pleasure of hearing Poison Arrow at both of the SY shows I've been to, so that was great I remember them playing Tom Violence and 'Cross The Breeze at the London show the other month. Gutted I couldn't get into the Thurston and Kim interview.

Robin Guthrie, Dirty Three, De La Soul, The Horrors, Fucked Up and Harmony Rockets were good as well
lckyby is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 04:35 PM   #274
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Did that group pic turn up anywhere and I missed it?
Old 12.15.2009, 05:29 PM   #275
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
i still don't have the film developed. patience, mate, patience.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 12.15.2009, 06:38 PM   #276
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

No problem, just wondered.
Old 12.20.2009, 05:19 PM   #277
_slavo_
invito al cielo

memories:

guys, that picture of us all (earl of slander, stu, blunderbuss, greenlight and myself) turned out to be total shit - all blurred.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 12.21.2009, 05:55 AM   #278
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
that 3rd. one... view on butlins is fucking amazing!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 07:45 AM   #279
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
It was sooooo much fun, this weekend followed by the In Between Days week followed by the 10 Years of ATP weekend.
Being stuck for ten days in a cold and rainy Butlins holiday resort in the middle of December may sound like HELL for most people, but I loved every minute of it.... almost!

It's always fun to meet some fellow boardies (blunderbuss, slavo, greenlight, stu666), although I didn't see much of the SYG crowd apart from the twats I was sharing my chalet with.

As far as music goes this was probably the "worst" ATP I've been to, but even then there were enough highlights to make it worthwile:

Th' Faith Healers - they were really good, even though everyone kept walking out and they ended up playing the least-attended Pavillion show I've ever seen.

EPMD - really great show, reminded me that there's often not enough hip hop at ATP.

My Bloody Valentine - I went in with low expectations, but I did really enjoy them and kept coming back every night to see at least part of their set (of course that also means there weren't enough other bands playing the other stages!!!). I think the Saturday show was the best one, then Friday and then the Sunday one, which ironically happens to be the only one I saw in full. They played the EXACT same setlist 3 nights in a row, verrrry imaginative. I also heard they cancelled their rehearsal show on Thursday because they weren't happy with the rehearsal for the rehearsal.... such utter cunts.
Anyway, I was very happy to finally see them....haven't we all played Loveless to death at some point in our lives? I know I did.

The Dirty Three and Lightning Bolt were really good too, but they were even better when they were playing the Crazy Horse during the In Between week.

Sonic Youth I enjoyed, but I couldn't get into it as much as I wanted to. Highlights for me were The Sprawl, Massage the History and DV69.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 10:57 AM   #280
dave g kelly
empty page

dave g kelly has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
If you want to see some photos from SY at Minehead (and believe me you do!) then follow this link:
http colon forward slash forward slash flickr dot com/gp/davegkelly/7j803N

Had to put on here in this format as I'm unable to post URLs

Great weekend, best festival and best line up I've seen.
dave g kelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
111213 14 15 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth