Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page So I got Ryan to lay down some shit
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.07.2010, 09:29 AM   #21
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the insight that's just what we need and thanks. For taking the to check it out. Most appreciated

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2010, 11:18 AM   #22
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I just finally finished listening to them. The guitar and vocals do sit extremely well together. I agree with Glice's point about the 'pinched' vocals on Walk With Me, but that seems to sort itself out about halfway through the song and, if nothing else, adds an extra degree of personality to it. The songs have a very natural late-night campfire spontenaity to them - especially on Come From, which is probably my favourite of the four you uploaded. You should definitely do some more duets, and incorporate the kids more! Turn it into a full on family affair. In terms of honing the songs to suit a broader audience, they'd obviously need a fair bit of polishing but personally I like them how they are. Listened to together, it's more like a sketchbook of different ideas than a collection of fully-formed songs and I think that suits the overall feel really well.

Please upload more!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2010, 06:51 PM   #23
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks a ton for the input. I got more comin

Old 08.08.2010, 03:09 PM   #24
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
listening now....

his tempo is great

I like bouncefuck a lot. like the changes at ends of each 4/4 set, sounds like it's gonna drop of of tempo but drops right back in tempo. I think this melody could lend for some nice vocals, and a little more light, upbeat vocals (in contrast to the more sulky style of the others).

today: is the closest thing to a done deal of all. It's also the best sounding. If the reverb is natural (like capturing the room), I'd work from there... remember where everything was placed, levels and all. I think it's kinda priceless to have the kids mostly because the context of the lyrics, but as a goal, I would keep the room as sterile sounding as possible.

Walk with me could use some work. Tell him to try his more natural voice used on "today" with this one. The forced strained voice doesn't sit well. I understand the effort as an attempt to add some maturity to the sound, like an old and weathered singers raspy voice.... but I think that just comes with age (and two packs a day). It's hard to impersonate. His voice is good enough fit for the style naturally like in Today. He should go from there. Walk with me also worth re-recording because of the noise. It sounds like a fan is on and in path of the mic, that or the signal source isn't in good range of the mic so the gain is up to high (for a noisy mic and noisy room). Don't get me wrong, capturing the rooms acoustics and all can be priceless, but you wanna keep it sterile.

Come From is really good too, start to finish, including your harmonies. Again, I just think he should approach the singing like "Today"

he has a very banjo'esque style guitar playing.... mostly due to the fingering, but he might actually like the banjo too and the style is borderline country / folk, so might add a little more character to put banjo under his playing. Probably not the sound he's going for, but just though I'd mention...

I can hear percussion under all the tracks. For the most part, I would start with brushes (instead of sticks) and probably a soft mallet on the kick drum. It would all depend on the target goal of the style. You could have those tracks really driving and rocking with a few steps up in tempo and grabbing an electric guitar, but it's all a matter intended feel.

If you're opened to experimenting w/ different recording techniques... due to the song style, try this.... get the room as quite as possible: place the mic deep in a closet, facing outwards... it's ok if there's clothes in there, actually better if there is lots of clothes hanging. Set the mic in front of the clothes.... he can be in the doorway or in the closet, but facing in. Get the input gain up as high as possible without clipping (and without getting noisy). This way you will get more full sounding recordings, hopefully less noisy and still sound organic enough.

if y'all are looking for encouragement, it goes without saying.... he definitely has all the talent and style needed and NEEDS to keep at it!

I think John Prine is a good reference for him... this recording could give y'all some ideas about a polished recording w/ some added dynamics like the pedal steel, piano and all....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3CiCAxLYXE
(your boy's songs w/ this level of production... WOW!)

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2010, 07:46 AM   #25
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Thanks for all of the input!!!! Yeah we wanted outside views besides just family and friends because they are biased by nature and have little knowledge of music. Just wanted to make sure were not some over confident rednecks hoppin up on stage.
I will let him read this when I get home.

hes got mad guitar skills. he has just been expermenting with vocals cause he doesn't quite know his voice fully yet. I have been hesitant to sing much cause i don't want to add more folkiness to the sound. I always wanted to be a rock singer but i guess i was born with the voice of the cuntry.

Old 08.09.2010, 09:42 AM   #26
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

I just found this. When we first got the recording program we were fuckin around trying to figure out how to work it. I wanted to hear how my voice sounded so he played while i asng in the pines..really shitty recording not planned out just bullshit (and a nive convo with the kiddos) but a good example of my cuntrified voice. My momma was a bluegrass singer and guitarist.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/YRD9z6k..._pines_us.html

Old 08.09.2010, 10:07 AM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Just wanted to make sure were not some over confident rednecks hoppin up on stage.

Never underestimate the appeal of over confident rednecks hoppin about, especially to the English. The Dukes of Hazzard tv series was bloody huge here.

Quote:
I just found this. When we first got the recording program we were fuckin around trying to figure out how to work it. I wanted to hear how my voice sounded so he played while i asng in the pines..really shitty recording not planned out just bullshit (and a nive convo with the kiddos) but a good example of my cuntrified voice. My momma was a bluegrass singer and guitarist.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/YRD9z6k..._pines_us.html

I can honestly say that if someone released 45 minutes worth of that and put it on a CD, I'd happily buy it.
Old 08.09.2010, 10:13 AM   #28
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Well thanks so much!!! We're breakin out baby. Does seem as though the English are more drawn to it tham Americanos.

Old 08.09.2010, 10:25 AM   #29
demonrail666
invito al cielo

... just as happened with Hendrix, The Ramones and Sonic Youth when they were starting out. And they didn't do too bad for themselves.
Old 08.09.2010, 10:29 AM   #30
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

That would be a wonderful dream come true

Old 08.09.2010, 12:01 PM   #31
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Never underestimate the appeal of over confident rednecks hoppin about, especially to the English. The Dukes of Hazzard tv series was bloody huge here.

This.

I'm naturally drawn to musicians who sound like they could kick the fuck out of me. Also, people who wear boots because it's more practical for their day-to-day life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2010, 12:12 PM   #32
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

You'd like my dad he lives in his boots. He only started wearing tennis shoes when he started getting old.

Old 08.09.2010, 12:24 PM   #33
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I wear shoes constantly. I honestly struggle to trust a man in 'sneakers' (trainers), except when doing exercise. Especially with blue jeans. It's just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2010, 12:32 PM   #34
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Ryan mostly wears work boots or his skate shoes. I like shoes that are hard to walk in

Old 08.09.2010, 01:54 PM   #35
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I really like the flow of Bouncefuck, listened to it on repeat quite a few times.

I agree with the stuff said about Walk with me, sounds like he's struggling but Glice already pointed out what helps.

Seriously, my ability to sing the way I do now is only because I had the oppurtunity to take voice lessons for a year when I was 20, and listened to my vocal coach. Some vocal excersises make you feel like a complete idiot, they can be embarrasing and tedious...but once you hear your growth there's not a better feeling in the world.

Nice songs, I'm going to listen to the others now but I felt I should comment before I do so!

more later!
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2010, 01:58 PM   #36
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I really like "come from".

It's sloppy but in a good way, sounds like the two of you just robbed a bank together and are high and disheveled off of adrenaline and started singing that while speeding off into the sunset.

The only part I dislike is the line "where did you come from, where did you go" because sung with a southern draw, it reminds me of "where did you come from, where did you go, where did you come from cotton eye joe" or w/e that song was from the 90s haha.

But yeah, goodstuff!
Old 08.09.2010, 02:45 PM   #37
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Thanks for taking a listen... that description of us is great. Hit the nail on the head.

Old 08.09.2010, 03:09 PM   #38
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

I'm glad you liked it!
Old 08.20.2010, 11:24 AM   #39
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Ryan did this while I was passed out last night....more to come

http://www.4shared.com/audio/Du8VwFF...n_G_major.html

Old 08.20.2010, 11:58 AM   #40
DaveCromwell
bad moon rising

DaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's assesDaveCromwell kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ryan did this while I was passed out last night....more to come

http://www.4shared.com/audio/Du8VwFF...n_G_major.html

I'll listen
DaveCromwell is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth