Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Dean Blunt talks shit on Kim Gordon, Chuck D
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2014, 06:30 PM   #1
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

This is hardly news, as Dean Blunt's Free Jazz performance at Cafe OTO happened last April and it was later on Soundcloud (doesn't seem to be there anymore, though). Also, as "guest" here pointed out, Blunt uploaded a track called "Kim Gordon" to that site (that one you can still listen to). And finally, the article from which I'll quote was published in The Wire three issues ago (hey, I just got it, whaddayawant from me ). But since apparently none of this has been discussed here, well, here it goes. Now, I don't know what the fuck is up with this guy. Both his answers AND his music sound like COMPLETELY half-assed HORSESHIT to me. Here's the extract:

Quote:
But what about a title like Free Jazz? I prod him. You can't pretend you're not deliberately tapping in to all of the cultural and historical baggage that phrase comes with. Otherwise why call it that? "Well, why not?" Blunt retorts. "That wasn’t a reclaiming. That was just me doing free jazz." Oh, it's certainly not a reclaiming, I tell him. Free jazz is a living tradition, it doesn't need you to reclaim it. But clearly you are deliberately using different contexts, different black genres in order to explore the associations that they throw up with your own work.

"Once again I don’t know or care or think what people think, because I don't know about the history of free jazz," he insists. "Unfortunately we have to disagree. This is where we have the thing of why would someone just do something? What a question! I just wanted to play free jazz with some bad boy musicians. And I wanted to hear a certain rage according to a certain text that I wrote that they all understood. That text was about Kim Gordon and LL Cool J and Chuck D. You know the song 'Kool Thing' [from Sonic Youth's 1990 album Goo]. Free Jazz was a thing in itself so I can't really speak of it as reappropriating anything."

Well, using terms like black metal or free jazz operates on a lot of different levels. "But that’s not for me to deal with," he explodes. You started it, I tell him. "And then I walk away, no? Then I walk away."

And while we're at it, why pick on Kim Gordon, of all people? She is largely credited with introducing Sonic Youth to free jazz, which contributed in part to the music infecting so many other genres and arguably your ability to even reference it. Is it Gordon's critique of notions of black machismo in "Kool Thing" that you're getting at? "Kim Gordon very easily critiquing black machismo," Blunt maintains. "And, you know, a very comfortable approach of feminism to jump onto a black cause that was very cool, very radical at the time. I don't want to go too far into it because Free Jazz kind of said it all. I wanted to hear those instruments, the saxophones and piano, and I wanted to hear that snare with the reverb on it. I wanted to hear specific things and all those things I heard. Exactly." He pauses to catch breath.

"Do you know how the whole Sonic Youth 'Kool Thing' came about?" he continues. "Initially they wanted LL Cool J to do it and LL Cool J wanted no fucking thing to do with it. He had no idea who Kim Gordon was. His idea of rock music is fucking Bon Jovi, and the disappointment to that was Chuck D was working in the studio next door and Chuck D was unfortunately a gimp and said yes to a lot of stupid things, a lot of kids, like their cause was dying out and it's like, 'let's jump onto this', and there's Chuck D like an idiot in his Minor Threat T-shirt, 'Yeah we’re down with them,' get the fuck out of here mate! NWA were way more... they pushed it a little further than Public Enemy."

Come on, Ice Cube is a bigger caricature than any of them. "He became a parody, yes," Blunt admits, "but I just think that Chuck allowed a lot of shit to go down. Let's just say he should have listened to Griff a bit more." What? Professor Griff comes over as a paranoid anti-Semite. "Oh, not that Griff said some stupid shit," Blunt shoots back, "but Chuck should have listened some more to what Griff said about how he was being used. Ultimately Public Enemy were American radical, you know. Give me a break. American radical is not radical. American radical is still American, which is why when there is anything that invokes the black struggle, like 'Kool Thing', it has always annoyed me, because when it's coming from America it will always be American radical."

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
This nonentity Dean Blount is so full of shit he needs to have a Roto Rooter guy backstage at all of his gigs. What an asshat.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2014, 08:21 PM   #3
shirttail
Banned

shirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's asses
Damn feminists always trying to keep the black down.
shirttail is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2014, 08:41 PM   #4
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
not that it really matters but this guy has the chuck d story wrong. sonic youth never asked ll cool to be on kool thing. kool thing is about the one time kim interviewed ll cool j for some mtv thing and how disappointed she with his answers/outlook. she thought he would be more radical or something

on that note: who the fuck is dean blunt?

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2014, 01:51 AM   #5
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
on that note: who the fuck is dean blunt?

I also was wondering that, who is Dean Blunt? I've never heard about him.
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2014, 02:10 AM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I think he's the dude from Hype Williams (Hype Williams the band, not Hype Williams the music video director)
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2014, 10:48 AM   #7
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Strange stuff all around....
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2014, 01:45 PM   #8
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx
I also was wondering that, who is Dean Blunt? I've never heard about him.
dean of brain farts & professor of gibberish studies @ oaksterdam university?

just a guess
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2014, 01:23 PM   #9
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
Nice story...tell readers digest!
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I love the "To LL Cool J rock is Bon Jovi."
Old 10.23.2014, 04:42 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
What the fuck is the big deal?? He didn't really know anything about it or why Chuck D would be involved, he is just shit talking, but that is rap, so what?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2014, 05:14 PM   #12
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, first of all Dean Blunt is not really rap. But, I do feel like his version of the story contradicts the story behind the song. I'm not sure I really buy his argument. But I'm still a big fan, his new album should be dope and its shipping now
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2014, 05:19 PM   #13
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
What the fuck is the big deal?? He didn't really know anything about it or why Chuck D would be involved, he is just shit talking, but that is rap, so what?

Uhhhh... Um, I dunno - this is, uh, the Sonic Youth forum, and one, like, posts stuff that has something to do with the Sonic Youths. I think. Like, so totally.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.23.2014, 05:28 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't say why is it being posted here, I said what is the big deal??

Old 10.23.2014, 05:31 PM   #15
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I didn't say why is it being posted here, I said what is the big deal??

You do realize going down that road obliterates 95% of what is "discussed" here.

Old 10.23.2014, 05:37 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
You do realize going down that road obliterates 95% of what is "discussed" here.

Old 10.24.2014, 09:07 PM   #17
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Agree, what is the big deal? And I don't even know what this Blunt guy is saying, it all translates into gibberish really and about something that is from almost a quarter century ago like its some huge controversy...

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2014, 09:09 PM   #18
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
he's one of the stoners from hype williams what do you expect?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2014, 10:26 PM   #19
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
confused.
Old 10.27.2014, 09:02 AM   #20
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
god the wire is so useless now
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth