Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Velvet Underground & Nico cd glitch on "All Tomorrow's Parties"?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.14.2011, 07:47 AM   #1
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I have the 1996 cd reissue and after all this time I just noticed that at approx. 2:10-2:12 into "All Tommorrow's Parties" I hear what sounds like a "skip" or "glitch" and on different cd players (so i double checked my cd surface and it is clean and without any significant scratches) its just where Nico comes in singing the second verse, to me its most apparant on the percussion as it sounds like a double beat (sorta unnatural double beat) not sure if this is a mastering to digital glitch or from the original master tapes as i have to go back and relisten to this on the other versions i have of this, which are:

1. peel slowly and see boxset
2. early vinyl pressing (though it has a ton of crackle and i may not catch it if its there)
3. 1980's vinyl reissue

I went on grooveshark and youtube and i hear this same sorta weird glitch at around the same time on the posted versions of this song.

anyone have the deluxe edition or the original 1986 cd or any other reissue that has come out and hear this?

maybe i'm going crazy but its weird to me...

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2011, 08:25 AM   #2
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
I have always noticed this every time I listened to it, and figured it had to be a shoddy oversight during the digital mastering
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm assuming you mean where the vocal rejoins: here

I'd always assumed it was shodding editing on the double-tracked vocal... If you listen to the vocal line, I think Nico may have had problems following a click track/ singing with headphones/ singing in general.

Though there's also a case to be made for it being intentional: at 4.40 or so the 'lead' vocal drops out a couple of times.

The unnatural beat I'm going to wager is a tambourine - hence it would've been on Nico's mic. I don't think Tucker used much in the way of cymbals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2011, 08:23 AM   #4
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Glice I believe you're right... the same issue is on my early vinyl pressing. yeah and its the tamborine thats off too, damn that Nico... heh.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth