Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Last Album You Bought?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.07.2016, 05:59 AM   #6601
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
For me it's been White Light since the first time I heard it. Which was... fuck... a really fuckin-ass long time ago.

What put the album over the edge for me was "The Gift", which was just so goddamn droney and cheeky and dark, but still grooved like a motherfucker.

A perfect album.
My first VU-album was Loaded, which didn´t hit me completely. Then I heard some compilation where was songs from all three first albums, Venus In Furs was the first that really hit me. Ordered then first V.U. & Nico, very soon White Heat. Really loved both when heard them!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2016, 02:02 AM   #6602
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Douglas Quin’s Fathom brings together four extended underwater soundscapes—two each from the Arctic and Antarctic. The recordings have been gathered over a period of 15 years, capturing an extraordinary palette of sonic voices, events, spaces, and textures. To the human ear, these soundscapes are haunting and otherworldly; yet they are very much of this world—out of earreach.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2016, 12:48 PM   #6603
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Loaded was my last (we're not counting Squeeze- it's not a VU album, and I'm sure you agree), which is strange because it's actually the first one I heard about. I read somewhere that it was their best album... Can't remember where now. This was in an entirely different era, where reading still involved paper.

Anyway, I tried it out after hearing the first two, but almost immediately dismissed it's not being "real" Velvet Underground because there was no Cage, and it sounded nothing like VU & Nico or White Light.

For a long time I stayed away from third and Loaded. It was hearing "After hours" in the right place at the perfect time that made me change my mind. I revisited the albums and fell in love with them, though not as immediately as I had with the first two.

I didn't actually purchase Loaded until I owned everything else including comps that was out at the time, but now it's me of my favorite records. Still obviously not as perfect as the first two, but each of those four records holds a spell on me. If I put them on, I can't turn them off. They hypnotize me, each record in its own unique way.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2016, 02:49 PM   #6604
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Loaded was my last (we're not counting Squeeze- it's not a VU album, and I'm sure you agree), which is strange because it's actually the first one I heard about. I read somewhere that it was their best album... Can't remember where now. This was in an entirely different era, where reading still involved paper.

Anyway, I tried it out after hearing the first two, but almost immediately dismissed it's not being "real" Velvet Underground because there was no Cage, and it sounded nothing like VU & Nico or White Light.

For a long time I stayed away from third and Loaded. It was hearing "After hours" in the right place at the perfect time that made me change my mind. I revisited the albums and fell in love with them, though not as immediately as I had with the first two.

I didn't actually purchase Loaded until I owned everything else including comps that was out at the time, but now it's me of my favorite records. Still obviously not as perfect as the first two, but each of those four records holds a spell on me. If I put them on, I can't turn them off. They hypnotize me, each record in its own unique way.
I agree about the magic of all four albums (also really want to add V.U & Another View, specially V.U. is really coherent whole as it really is their "lost fourth album". I bought third album after those first two and even I wasn´t as impressed it as those two, I really liked it immediately. There is just so much innocence it´s hard not to like it. Also Loaded has been me their last vinyl, even it was their first album I heard and I recorded it into cassette I still have. Bought that vinyl last autumn (it was re-release with original cover).
Old 01.12.2016, 10:50 PM   #6605
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I didn't get into the VU until I heard WL/WH. then I understood that the VU and Nico didn't have shitty songs, just shitty production. the most unfaithful production of an early guitar band I know. the most shit guitar sound of any band from that era but, that's what delayed the fame right?

it's like the production forgets the bottom end and emphasis's the high end. it's like the music was too good to record. it's like the most shit recording ever. it's like the producer wanted to make them sound like typical folk rock. hey, that the Velvet Underground and Nico. it has shit production. it's like the most shitty recording everyone loves but doesn't know why. it's a shit recording with great songs with that chicken string guitar sound that annoys you but isn't true to the bands sound. it's the VU and Nico. the shit recording is the reason everyone has been listening to it over and over.

it's my favorite VU album. has anyhow read the reason why Mo played drums so bad on Heroin? a shit recording that birthed maybe some cool bands.

Not sure I agree with you 100% on this. I do think the album fails to do justice to the material at times, but I've honestly never considered it a "shit recording." I guess when I listened to the record at age thirteen, after seeing it praised by just about every music phblication known to man as an album that ushered in punk, maybe I had a bit of a WTF reaction. But I actually think WL/WH was probably a worse recording in the technical sense. The first track from that album stands out because of its horrendous production. The whole album really seems to use "bad production" as a central element of the sound.

Things didn't really get clean until self-titled.

I think the live performances from the & Nico era probably do a better job of representing the band's true sound. But VU & Nico is a perfect album. If the production sucks, that suckiness is part of what makes it perfect. With "better" production it might sound like fluff.

"Heroin" is actually one of my absolute favorite VU studio tracks. So... *shrug*
Old 01.14.2016, 08:42 AM   #6606
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

I have also always loved those raw sounds!
Old 03.02.2016, 03:32 PM   #6607
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The wife and I went to a local place called Vino and Vinyl, whoch specializes in selling win by the bottle or glass, and has an area where they sell reissues, as well as old records. There is nothing too weird or underground but every single record is cleaned and washed!!!!

I got these for $2.00 each.
Rocky Soundtrack. Awesome.

My wife who is a big George Michaels fan, mentioned earlier in that day that she would like to get this album on vinyl, and I found it in the crate

and I found this one, which has the great live versions that were cool on the MTV

Old 03.03.2016, 10:18 AM   #6608
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Great haul for $6......the horns on, "I Want Your Sex (Parts 1 & 2)" make the album!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2016, 10:48 PM   #6609
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Okkyung Lee
Otoroku
DS035

<3
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2016, 11:51 PM   #6610
Severian
invito al cielo

DJ KOZE presents Pampa Vol. 1

Fucking finally, something from Koze in 2016. I'd be really stoked if he did an actual album, but this will serve.

Old 05.10.2016, 10:04 AM   #6611
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Träd, Gräs och Stenar by Träd, Gräs och Stenar">Träd, Gräs och Stenar by Träd, Gräs och Stenar
First thing I've bought in a long time, so happy to have 6 LPs of choice live material from this band. They went through a few lineup and name changes, one of which was International Harvester as seen on the NWW list.

Also have been slowly reading this, and listening to some bootlegs of his early material, along with early Velvets boots. He has a piece called Poem for Chairs, Tables, Benches, etc. which consists entirely of the resulting friction-based sounds of pushing said objects across the floor. A very similar sound shows up in a Velvets song, I think its European Son.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2016, 07:18 PM   #6612
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

Spökraket-In A Witch Forest

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2016, 05:03 PM   #6613
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses

https://youtu.be/NHaTPyYkKxs?list=PL...11dfnyuIJ5a K

https://www.discogs.com/Angel-Terra-...elease/5759343
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2016, 11:36 PM   #6614
Severian
invito al cielo

Swans - The Glowing Man

Before that, Drones - Feelin' Kinda Free
Old 06.18.2016, 02:37 AM   #6615
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Swans - The Glowing Man

Before that, Drones - Feelin' Kinda Free

hows new Swans? I mean, I have to listen to it.

Old 06.18.2016, 03:03 AM   #6616
greenlight
invito al cielo

Old 06.18.2016, 11:17 AM   #6617
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
hows new Swans? I mean, I have to listen to it.

So far I prefer it to To Be Kind. Still haven't heard the whole thing because I haven't had two uninterrupted hours of time since it came out, but I'm liking it quite a bit.
Old 06.20.2016, 08:28 AM   #6618
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

found it in pristine condition for $4.00
Old 06.20.2016, 08:56 AM   #6619
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
promo copy of The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble's "Summer Suite."
Old 06.20.2016, 10:30 PM   #6620
Severian
invito al cielo

I forgot about Spinhead Sessions. Bought that too. My LP hasn't arrived yet, but I bought the fucker on iTunes too.
281321328329330 331 332333334341 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth