Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Top Albums Of The 1970's Picked By You
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.03.2008, 11:19 PM   #41
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I've had to edit mine 3 times now. Somehow I forgot Sun Ra even though he's probably my single favorite musician and Space is the Place is my third favorite album of his. I also forgot Neu! and the Patti Smith Group.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2008, 12:28 AM   #42
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

i meant 'unknown pleasures', good catch
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2008, 12:55 AM   #43
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
1.beatles -Let it be
2.Lennon-Imagine
3.Marley-Exodus
4.Jimi-Band Of Gypsys
5.Velvet Underground-Loaded
6.the Stooges -Raw Power
7.Joy Division-Unknown Pleasures
8.Can-Tago Mago
9.NEU!-Self-titled
10.Marley-African Herbsman
Old 11.04.2008, 06:20 AM   #44
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I've had to edit mine 3 times now. Somehow I forgot Sun Ra even though he's probably my single favorite musician and Space is the Place is my third favorite album of his. I also forgot Neu! and the Patti Smith Group.

I've tried doing a list about 5 times yesterday and never got to number 10 without feeling like somehow I was leaving a lot of people out. That's why I've started a 60's one already 'cause with all that psych and garage stuff that I can't get enough of, it's going to be a very difficult one.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2008, 12:46 PM   #45
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I've tried doing a list about 5 times yesterday and never got to number 10 without feeling like somehow I was leaving a lot of people out. That's why I've started a 60's one already 'cause with all that psych and garage stuff that I can't get enough of, it's going to be a very difficult one.

yeah, this has definitley been the hardest for me. I've gone back to edit mine like 5 times, and I have a top 50 with half of them tied. There's just so many records that are so important to me that came out in the 70s.

I can't wait for the 60s one either though; Free Jazz, White Light White Heat, Xenakis, The Stones, ESP-Disk, The 13th Floor Elevators, Psychedelia, Kick out the Jams, etc.. Should be a good one.
Old 11.04.2008, 01:58 PM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
This was hard and I'm cheating a bit because I'm not sure if some of these were released or just written in the 70s. However, I was having a hard time thinking of 25 I genuinely love (so, no Funhouse/ Transformer) so I'm sticking with my half-cheating.

1 Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel
2 Can - Tago Mago
3 Willie Nelson - Red headed stranger
4 Arvo Part - Cantus in memorium Benamin Britten
5 Throbbing Gristle - DOA - the 3rd and final report
6 Horatiu Radelescu - 'Infinite cannot be anti-infinite
7 Olivier Messiaen - Des Canyons aux Etoiles
8 Abba - Arrival
9 Augustus Pablo - Original Rockers
10 Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach
11 Herb Alpert - Tijuana hits
12 Faust - IV
13 Lou Reed - Berlin
14 Bailey/ Parker/ Bennink - Topography of the lungs
15Carpenters - s/t
16 Steve Reich - 18 musicians
17Faust - Faust
18 TG - 2nd annual report
19 Dolly Parton - Jolene
20 Alvin Lucier - I am sitting in a room...
21 Dmitri Shostakovich - Symphony no 15
22 Xenakis - Pleiades
23 Kenny Rogers - the Gambler
24 Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
25 The Upsetters - Cloak and Dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2008, 04:27 PM   #47
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
1 David Bowie - Hunky Dory
2 David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
3 Talking Heads - Fear of Music
4 The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
5 Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
6 Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols
7 The Stooges - Funhouse
8 The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Yas Out
9 Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
10 Talking Heads - Talking Heads 77
11 Pink Floyd - Meddle
12 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
13 Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
14 Brian Eno & Robert Fripp - Evening Star
15 The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup
16 John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
17 The Cars - The Cars
18 The Beatles - Let It Be
19 Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
20 Al Green - I'm Still in Love With You
21 Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
22 Led Zeppelin - IV
23 The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St
24 The Kinks - Lola Versus Powerman and the Money-Go-Round
25 Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
26 The Police - Regatta de Blanc
27 The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
28 Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
29 Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust
30 Ramones - Ramones
31 Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
32 Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
33 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
34 David Bowie - Low
35 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
36 The Velvet Underground - Loaded
37 Led Zeppelin - III
38 The Cars - Candy-O
39 The Who - Quadrophenia
40 The Doors - Morrison Hotel
41 Neil Young - Harvest
42 Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
43 The Kinks - Preservation Acts 1 & 2
44 Al Green - Call Me
45 The Who - Who's Next
46 Neil Young - On the Beach
47 Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
48 Tim Buckley - Starsailor
49 Ramones - Rocket To Russia
50 Neil Young - Zuma
51 Big Star - Third/Sister Lovers
52 Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
53 T. Rex - Electric Warrior
54 Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum
55 Pink Floyd - The Wall
56 The Stooges - Raw Power
57 Led Zeppelin - II
58 AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
59 Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes
60 The Police - Outlandos d'Amour
61 The Doors - L.A. Woman
62 Bob Dylan - Desire
63 Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
64 Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
65 Bob Dylan and the Band - The Basement Tapes
66 Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
67 Nick Drake - Pink Moon
68 Gang of Four - Entertainment!
69 John Lennon - Imagine
70 Grateful Dead - American Beauty
71 Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
72 Can - Tago Mago
73 Derek & The Dominos - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
74 David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
75 Sparks - Kimono My House
76 Queen - A Night at the Opera
77 Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
78 Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ
79 Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
80 The Pop Group - Y
81 The Who - Live at Leeds
82 Elton John - Honky Château
83 Patti Smith Group - Horses
84 George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
85 Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
86 Wire - Pink Flag
87 Television - Marquee Moon
88 The Clash - London Calling
89 New York Dolls - New York Dolls
90 John Cale - Paris 1919
91 Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key of Life
92 The B-52's - The B-52's
93 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
94 Neu! - Neu!
95 King Crimson - Red
96 James Brown - The Payback
97 Van Halen - Van Halen
98 Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent & the E. Street Shuffle
99 XTC - White Music
100 The Rolling Stones - Some Girls
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2008, 04:43 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Just curiosity Mr 2600 - no Lou Reed?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.04.2008, 04:50 PM   #49
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Some of his solo records would be included in the top 200.

So would that third Carpenters self-titled...
Old 11.04.2008, 04:57 PM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Right you are. You're your own man, I can't argue with that.

Quote:
Old 11.04.2008, 05:28 PM   #51
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Right you are. You're your own man, I can't argue with that.

Naw, you're takin' that cake with Willie, Dolly and Kenny, you ecletic bastard.
hee

Kenny would not make a top 500 for me, but Willie and Dolly would most likely make a top 200. I don't know if Carole King's lauded Tapestry album would make a top 500, but Joni Mitchell's Blue would figure into a top 200.

And so on...
*(as annoying for me to write as it was annoying to read it)

Look, I know I have no Reich or Xenakis...but damn, there's just too many other great records. Rust Never Sleeps didn't even make it.

No The Runaways, & no Voidoids. I just listened to a '77 Richard Hell and it was okay, but then I relistened to this Hamburg '83 the other day and it's tremendous at times.

Wait until the 1960s when I'm torn between jazz and rock...gonna be tough.

I've stated it before, but David Bowie is the sound of the seventies. To a lesser extent, Pink Floyd and Led Zep are really up there. And continuing in this fast and loose fashion, those marvelous Pistols who aspired to best them all, albeit in their own way, are irrepressibly landmark.

Maestro Taylor and The Stones are definitely Upper Pantheon...

and so on...*
Old 11.04.2008, 06:25 PM   #52
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
46 Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Almost certainly top ten for me is I could be bothered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
50 Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum
Always one of my least favourite Creedence albums, but I've been listening to and appreciating it a lot more recently. Their sixth album in the space of two years. An incredible output of amzing tunes.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2008, 06:46 PM   #53
batreleaser
invito al cielo

CCR put out better stuff in the 60s, I love them though.
Old 11.04.2008, 06:50 PM   #54
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Other than their eponymous debut (not a great album) they released all their albums in 1969 and 1970. Actually that's also ignoring Mardi Gras which was a very poor album.

1968 - CCR
1969 - Bayou Country/Green River/Willy & The Poor Boys
1970 - Cosmo's Factory/Pendulum
1972 - Mardi Gras
Old 11.05.2008, 01:33 AM   #55
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i completely redid my list cause i forgot a lot of stuff and that includes chrome. whom i keep forgetting released two of the greatest albums of the 70's. after listening to entertainment! today i realized that the specials or syd barrett's the madcap laughs weren't my favorite albums of the 70's.

25. can- tago mago
24. the stooges- funhouse
23. television- marquee moon
22. syd barrett- barrett
21. the jam- in the city
20. the pop group- y
19. kebekelektrik- s/t
18. neu!-neu75
17. bumbleebee unlimited- sting like a bee
16. suicide- s/t
15. kraftwerk-trans-europe express
14. wire- chairs missing
13. the ramones- s/t
12. the germs- gi
11. pil- metal box
10 the slits- cut
9. the raincoats-s/t
8. neu- neu!
7. swell maps- a trip to marineville
6. wire- 154
5. devo- q:are we not men? a:we are devo?
4. the specials- s/t
3. syd barrett- the madcap laughs
2. tie:chrome- alien soundtracks/half machine lips move
1. gang of four- entertainment!
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 02:12 AM   #56
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Yep, I just edited mine again to put in Big Star's 3rd album. Which of course won't get enough votes to make the final cut, if anyone else lists it at all. And by putting it in, I knocked out The Voidoids who probably will make the group list. But for some reason I find myself extremely compelled to have my list be an accurate reflection of my own favorites even if that means I put in one or two that nobody else will.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 06:00 AM   #57
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
yeah, this has definitley been the hardest for me. I've gone back to edit mine like 5 times, and I have a top 50 with half of them tied. There's just so many records that are so important to me that came out in the 70s.

I can't wait for the 60s one either though; Free Jazz, White Light White Heat, Xenakis, The Stones, ESP-Disk, The 13th Floor Elevators, Psychedelia, Kick out the Jams, etc.. Should be a good one.
same. not to mention pet sounds, piper, in the court of, safe as milk, the white album.. fuck. i love the 60's.
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 06:11 AM   #58
sarramkrop

Throw Sly Stone in too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 08:56 AM   #59
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
This thread needs more Modern Lovers love.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 09:36 AM   #60
Pookie
invito al cielo

I always found Jonathan Richman a bit annoying.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth