Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.17.2015, 04:06 PM   #441
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I feel like it will be weird if that song is NOT on the album. It's been like "the single" for months. Then again, think of all the GOOD Friday shit to not make it to Dark Twisted. Shrug. But I feel like it would be a good album closer the same way "Bound2" sounded like nothing else on Yeezus.
Old 03.17.2015, 04:21 PM   #442
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
"KENDRICK IS AN INSPIRATION. THANK YOU FOR THE VIBRATIONS AND THE SPIRIT. YOUR MEANING, MESSAGE AND EXECUTION ARE GIFTS TO THE WORLD."

Kanye had this to say about Kendrick.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2015, 04:50 PM   #443
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
the way Kendrick flows on "For Free (Interlude)".. his voice is like an instrument.

he said he's been listening to a lot of Miles Davis while working on the album, i can totally hear it.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2015, 04:51 PM   #444
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
"KENDRICK IS AN INSPIRATION. THANK YOU FOR THE VIBRATIONS AND THE SPIRIT. YOUR MEANING, MESSAGE AND EXECUTION ARE GIFTS TO THE WORLD."

Kanye had this to say about Kendrick.
it's official: Kendrick is a real artist.
Old 03.17.2015, 05:26 PM   #445
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
the way Kendrick flows on "For Free (Interlude)".. his voice is like an instrument.

he said he's been listening to a lot of Miles Davis while working on the album, i can totally hear it.

I was thinking the same about that track.
Old 03.17.2015, 06:31 PM   #446
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I feel like it will be weird if that song is NOT on the album. It's been like "the single" for months. Then again, think of all the GOOD Friday shit to not make it to Dark Twisted. Shrug. But I feel like it would be a good album closer the same way "Bound2" sounded like nothing else on Yeezus.

Yeah, or maybe (I was thinking) a hidden track, in the same vein as Pinnochio Story.

Bound2 is what made Yeezus a home run for me. The rest of that record was so unexpected and strange, that coming out at the other end with a song as "quintessentially Kanye" as Bound2 was like finding a tenuous euphoria at the end of a bad mushroom trip. But while it was the most "oh that's so Yeezy" song on the record, it also feels like the album's most blatant statement of uncertainty and change. That chorus still hasn't stopped hitting me right in the gut.

I feel like "Only One" could almost be the start of something else... Perhaps a full-length collaboration between Kanye and Paul? I don't know. Probably not. But I remember reading that it was itended to be on the new album.

If they're going to gloss it up and rework it, I'd rather they leave it alone. Cause yeah, at this point it has been "the single" for some time, so it would feel strange to hear a less improvised version.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2015, 08:48 PM   #447
noisereductions
invito al cielo

"Only One" isn't a perfect song. But it's perfect the way it is. It feels so genuine as it is.
Old 03.17.2015, 09:19 PM   #448
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
That's kinda how I feel about it. I don't want some prettied up version on the album, y'know? The song hits me just right as is. I like Kanye's weird ass humming, I love Paul's backing vocals, and even with a bit of auto tune, Kanye's voice sounds genuine and totally human.

It was my song of the year for 2014, and I heard it about an HOUR before 2015 hit.
Old 03.17.2015, 09:39 PM   #449
noisereductions
invito al cielo

the auto-tune makes it. That and the keys. The juxtaposition of the two. The keys sounds really warm and analog. The vox sound wrong cuz of the auto-tune. It's a pretty excellent mess. And to me a mess is first take, best take. In this case, causing it to sound super heartfelt. So yeah. Don't mess w/ it.
Old 03.17.2015, 11:04 PM   #450
Severian
invito al cielo

I think "Mortal Man" might be my favorite song on Butterfly. What a dope outro. Great beat, great message, great lyrics... Really a powerful song. I'm really goddamned into this album.
Old 03.18.2015, 07:16 AM   #451
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Why do you say that about “Only One?” Because of that extended wordless vocal "riffing" segment that points to a one-take recording session? Or the fact that McCartney's little keyboard jam was cut out of the video? Are you just going with your gut or did you hear this somewhere?

I kinda hope "Only One" does serve as a standalone. Or maybe a bonus track of there's a deluxe edition of the final album (seems like an insane thing to expect considering the barebones packaging of Yeezus)... I really love the song, but it feels like the kind of song that means more on its own. I can't imagine where it would fit on a "traditional" Kanye album (not that I know what that would look or sound like in the first place). So I'm in favor of it remaining a non-album track.
just an assumption, but i'd be surprised if Kanye used Only One as it is now.
Old 03.18.2015, 07:30 AM   #452
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think "Mortal Man" might be my favorite song on Butterfly. What a dope outro. Great beat, great message, great lyrics... Really a powerful song. I'm really goddamned into this album.
"Hood Politics" is my fav at the moment, will change a million times though. i love every song on the album. Kendrick just destroyed 2015 as well as everything that came out last year. Kanye is actually the only rapper with a good shot at dropping something on that level.

yo, did Dre have a hand in "How Much a Dollar Cost"? the drums are just his signature sound.. the song is credited for LoveDragon whom i've never heard of. hmmm.. there's something fishy going on.
Old 03.18.2015, 08:14 AM   #453
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
"Hood Politics" is my fav at the moment, will change a million times though. i love every song on the album. Kendrick just destroyed 2015 as well as everything that came out last year. Kanye is actually the only rapper with a good shot at dropping something on that level.

yo, did Dre have a hand in "How Much a Dollar Cost"? the drums are just his signature sound.. the song is credited for LoveDragon whom i've never heard of. hmmm.. there's something fishy going on.

Yeah, I don't know who LoveDragon is either. One thing that briefly entered my mind (more of a long-shot hope than an actual possibility, since there's no evidence to support the theory) is that Kendrick did some of the production himself. Or perhaps under Dre's direction?

Maybe I'm just applying my "perfect hip-hop artist" model, based entirely on Kanye West, to Kendrick. I just really love it when artists buckle down and learn the other side of the game, either by developing a unique flow like Kanye and Madlib did, or by taking on some production responsibilities and getting into beat-writing as their careers progress (like A$AP Rocky apparently has, or Tree, or Black Milk). Hell, Dre did it himself.

Just a thought.
Old 03.18.2015, 08:31 AM   #454
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, hey... Are we ever going to talk about the "interview" with Tupac that brings the album to a close? Anyone have any ideas or theories about why Kendrick chose to end the album like this, or what to take from the "conversation" between the two artists?

@louder, you'd mentioned something about the theme of the album, and how you didn't want to give anything away... But don't you think it's safe to assume that everyone who matters has heard this shit by now? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the theme, the final moments of the album, and any tie-Ins it may have with GKMC.

What a chilling way to end the record... With Kendrick shouting out "Pac?... Pac?!" as though roused from a dream so important that it feels like a matter of life and death, just before some crucial piece of information is revealed.

I've gotta say, the end brought an unexpected tear to my eye. It was like looking back into another time- one the Kendrick himself is too young to actually remember, but most of us certainly do. That apocalyptic time surrounding the death of 2Pac and Biggie. I can't help but wonder why this kid seems to have so much on those two, and other rappers of the time, in terms of wisdom and maturity.

Is Kendrick really a disciple of Pac's, or is he a reaction to a more brutal era? To me he comes from a completely different dimension, but the link between the two is there, regardless.

Oh well. I love this album. My favprite of the year so far. Pretty damn sure Ye will release something that tops it, but hats because he's Ye.
Old 03.18.2015, 04:30 PM   #455
Severian
invito al cielo

I feel a little guilty about saying this, but that new Earl Sweatshirt track & accompanying video kinda rub me the wrong way. I'm a little tired of hearing that kid complain... To hear him tell it, he's lived a million lifetimes, all of them so repressed and shitty that his angst is indefinitely justified.

But fuck- his voice is only just starting to settle. He's had one cushy young adulthood. He's the very picture of privilege, and I don't think he lived long enough before becoming a celebrity for any of the realities of a non celebrated life to set in. I kinda just want him to stop being a bitch and admit that he has very little to bitch about.

Just some acknowledgment that he's got it "good," at least in relation to most of the world. He's starting to sound like a little shit.
Old 03.19.2015, 08:16 AM   #456
Severian
invito al cielo

I really hate it when I just happen to rattle off like 5 consecutive posts just as this thread is dying down for the first time in a few weeks. Makes me feel like I'm talking to my goddamn self.
Old 03.19.2015, 09:46 AM   #457
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
I really hate it when I just happen to rattle off like 5 consecutive posts just as this thread is dying down for the first time in a few weeks. Makes me feel like I'm talking to my goddamn self.

you are.

RE: Earl, I haven't heard the new track yet so no comment really. Alls I can tell you is I love that kid's flow and vocab.

The main main reason I'm quiet is that I really haven't soaked up the Kendrick enough yet. It's the sort of album I feel like I need to keep listening to before I'm ready to dive into discussion. I need to hear it in the car, chilling on my couch, taking a shower in the AM, playing games at night, etc. before I'm ready to start dissecting.
Old 03.19.2015, 04:27 PM   #458
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
you are.

RE: Earl, I haven't heard the new track yet so no comment really. Alls I can tell you is I love that kid's flow and vocab.

The main main reason I'm quiet is that I really haven't soaked up the Kendrick enough yet. It's the sort of album I feel like I need to keep listening to before I'm ready to dive into discussion. I need to hear it in the car, chilling on my couch, taking a shower in the AM, playing games at night, etc. before I'm ready to start dissecting.

Dude, I really feel like you're formalizing this almost laughably informal discussion of ours. You don't need to have the entire album digested, shat out, and analyzed for fecal microbes before you can comment. First impressions are important. I like to joy down my feelings about an album during the first listen, then periodically as I grow more and more comfortable with the album. It gives me a real "big picture" idea of how I processed the album, and what I was right on/way the fuck off about in my initial reaction.

That's me though. I talk to myself... On the Internet. I don't like shit. I don't go outside. Actually I do, because I really love the outdoors, nature, etc.

I like Earl's mind. I like his word choices. But I'm increasingly aware of how much I think I would loathe him if I was a sophomore in college too. I can tell that his inclination toward poetic stream of consciousness wordplay often straddles the line between authenticity and (for lack of a better word) faking it and hoping for nonsense that sounds edgy. I don't think he's mastered his own lyrical approach. I've spent enough time around creative writing types to be able to smell horseshit free associative reaching.

I just want him to be good and work hard and have humility. If his life is as shitty as it sounds, he should probably stop smoking weed constantly. He seems like the type who could easily fall into a schizoid personality break if he overdoes that shit at too young an age. Maybe he should go outside more.
Old 03.19.2015, 05:16 PM   #459
louder
invito al cielo

Odd Future are a bunch of bitches in general. if i hear Tyler or Earl bitching about their fucking father one more time i'm done with them for life. i don't know what Earl is "grieving" over too, Sev.. why can't he just make some feel good music like his idol DOOM?
Old 03.19.2015, 08:34 PM   #460
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Dude, I really feel like you're formalizing this almost laughably informal discussion of ours. You don't need to have the entire album digested, shat out, and analyzed for fecal microbes before you can comment. First impressions are important. I like to joy down my feelings about an album during the first listen, then periodically as I grow more and more comfortable with the album. It gives me a real "big picture" idea of how I processed the album, and what I was right on/way the fuck off about in my initial reaction.

That's me though. I talk to myself... On the Internet. I don't like shit. I don't go outside. Actually I do, because I really love the outdoors, nature, etc.

I like Earl's mind. I like his word choices. But I'm increasingly aware of how much I think I would loathe him if I was a sophomore in college too. I can tell that his inclination toward poetic stream of consciousness wordplay often straddles the line between authenticity and (for lack of a better word) faking it and hoping for nonsense that sounds edgy. I don't think he's mastered his own lyrical approach. I've spent enough time around creative writing types to be able to smell horseshit free associative reaching.

I just want him to be good and work hard and have humility. If his life is as shitty as it sounds, he should probably stop smoking weed constantly. He seems like the type who could easily fall into a schizoid personality break if he overdoes that shit at too young an age. Maybe he should go outside more.

it's more that I'm speechless. I don't know what to say other than "I love it" yet. The 2Pac interview thing gives me goosebumps.
202122 23 2425263373 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth