Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Classic Albums #5: The Misfits' Walk Among Us
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.01.2007, 07:45 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Bobby Steele bought me a drink once, so what the hell. Besides, they're the fuckin' Misfits, so show a little respect. PLEASE!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2007, 07:49 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
my least favorite misfits release. (no, i'm not counting american psycho, famous monsters, etc. that's the misfakes, thank you).

still, a fucking classic.

misfits could do no wrong.

does anyone NOT love this band?

my favorite is static age.. well, my favorite favorite is 12 hits from hell, cuz it's sort of a greatest hits but it sounds 500 times better than their other stuff and it has another guitar. but yeah.. static age.. fucking.

but anyway.. "I TURNED INTO A MARTIAN WHOA OHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHHHH."

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i might wait a bit to ask my question.

i'll also let inspiration hit to talk about this properly.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
on second thought, i'll ask it, it has to do with my thoughts of the album.

are the misfits a singles band more than an albums band?
Old 07.01.2007, 08:00 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i think the problem with the misfits is that all their songs are spread out amongst so many albums and collections. i owned a lot of misfits stuff back in the day (walk among us was the first tape i ever actually BOUGHT) and.. well.. what i had to do was compile my own "best of" collection which had 47 songs in 76 minutes. great.

i love the misfits. i dunno... they probably are considered a singles band since their albums feel like a collection of singles. except, perhaps, earth ad and static age which feel very cohesive in comparison.

EXTERMINATE.

anyway, my favorite misfits song is horror business. followed by hybrid moments. followed by halloween. followed by hollywood babylon. .. yeah, you don't have to tell me, i noticed that too..

Old 07.01.2007, 08:01 PM   #6
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I know what you mean. That's a good question. I'd say they're a singles band but, like any band, if you like them enough you end up wanting the albums too. The Cramps are another perfect example of this.
Old 07.01.2007, 08:04 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

i'd also like to mention that the misfits had so many simple riffs that just seem so indispensable.. most punk bands, even bad religion songs (i love them but..).. their riffs blend together, i have to wait until the lyrics come in to go "oh! it's this song!" sometimes. . but not with the misfits.

also, the misfits, a LOT of their songs are in 3/4.. it's subtle but noticeable and it's amazing.

and danzig's fucking elvis howl.

just amazing. jesus.

Old 07.01.2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Never been into the Misfits. Always liked other bands covers of them far more than I could ever like the original. Like Refused Bullet cover, or Papa M cover of Last Caress.
Old 07.01.2007, 08:07 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

My lack of guitar skills has been well documented on this site, but there are times when my ability to play along to both the first Ramones LP and Walk Among Us fills me with a type of joy that can only be described as 'rad'.
Old 07.01.2007, 08:17 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

"dude, that's a lotta fuckin' cum dude." - jenna haze

Old 07.01.2007, 08:37 PM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

well, yeah i think they are a singles band that were capable of doing great albums, like earth a.d. and the static age.

the thing is, as i mentioned on a thread a couple of weeks ago, i only get the urge to listen to the misfits once a year, therefore i don't own any misfits albums, rather, i downloaded and burnt the most songs i could (from winmx, i think, some of them have crap quality) into a cd-r. so my perspective can be a little different.

anyway, the misfits, for what they stand mostly to me, is this ghoulish punk rock that's catchy and fun but at the same time has this threatning shadow throughout that gives them real menace; for once, their guitars always seem to sound weird because they used crap guitars or self built guitars that had to be tuned for every song going through very fucked up amps, that really makes them special, especially considering their contemporaries (along with black flag, the bad brains and minor threat, one of the few u.s. hardcore/punk bands whose guitar sound is instantly recognizable); of all the misfits drummers, arthur googy has to be the worst, but if they had a better more imaginative drummer for these songs, they would end up feeling too busy and the charm would be gone, so cheers for one of the most incompetent yet spot on drumming ever. and then, on top of everything it's glenn fucking danzig who, despite being a grade a moron, asshole, arrogant, egocentric son of a bitch is one of the best punk/metal frontmen AND singers EVER, dude has so much vile for such silly songs as "20 eyes" and "skulls" that they are outstanding, the man shreds when he opens his mouth and he does have a larger than life personality.

the songs are all sing along yet completely powerful, they kinda remind me of the roir tape-era bad brains in a different way (retro horror instead of rasta funky?), most of their songs even threaten to become indistiguishable from one another yet they always end up having a personality of their own, especially those in walk among us. you can't just put the album and read or anything, you have to at least sing along (even if half the lyrics are completely unintelligeable, glenn might fucking mumble a lot but his attitude compensates, hence the awesome singer title), or play guitar or jump around or party; actually, the misfits are the ultimate party band when it comes down to it, they are fun, they are threatning, they are catchy yet dark and you can rock to them for hours on end. trust me, next time you throw a party and you want it to rock hard and get people to have a blast, get the coffin boxset or their whole discography and play that shit and i can almost guaranty you'll have the best party ever.

the misfits were a once in a lifetime thing, a lot of people have tried to come up with something like this but they either become too horror-based or they end up too goth or they end up too goofy. no one will ever play like the misfits although we can almost be sure people will be covering them for years to come.

ps: funny anecdote, i went to see the fakesfits a couple of years ago, of course they are not the misfits and i was aware of this, i went to see a tribute band that happened to have the guy who played bass for them plus the drummer for the ramones and the singer and guitarist of black flag, it was fun to sing along to the songs (plus ramones songs and flag's "rise above") and i might go again now that robo is playing too, i wonder what flag songs they will playing now?
Old 07.02.2007, 12:44 AM   #12
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know what songs are on "Walk Among Us", since I have the Collection CDs, but my fav Misfits songs have always been "Astro Zombies" "Die, Die, My Darling", and "Bullet".
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2007, 03:12 AM   #13
sarramkrop

Question: Who's deciding which ones the classic albums in question are?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2007, 05:03 AM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

In this case everyneurotic was.
Old 07.02.2007, 09:08 AM   #15
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I had an original of this when I was younger. Sold it for a lot of money too.
I do like this album, but I'm mostly a "Legacy Of Brutality" guy when it comes down to it. I like all the Danzig-era Misfits stuff, but my least favorite is probably Earth A.D.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2007, 09:56 AM   #16
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I only have Static Age, which I like a lot.
Old 07.02.2007, 10:22 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have loved the misfits since I hear 20 eyes when I was 13. It blew me away. that and minor threat's out of step began my withdrawal fromthe heavy metal ranks.

I love the misfits. In my ears they can do no wrong. (original misfits pre-1985 of course)
I lve every album. they are all different.
Static Age is straight up punk rocking horror, melodic and fantabulous.
Walk Among Us is tied for my favorite with EARTH AD. walk among us has just song after song that mkes my blood boil and I fuicking canot get enough,.
earth AD is the hardcore punk one and goddamn, I do notcare what anyone says, that fucking album blows much hardcore out of it's collective asses. It is a fucking masterpiece or aggression. WE BITE is my favorite song on that.

The misfits were NOT a "singles" band like the smiths or the cure. they put out singles and eps because they could not afford to oput out albums, but their official albums are winners all the way through. even the silly songs like Rat Fink are fun and not filler to me

The only original misfits song that I do not like is Come Back, which I think goes on about 2 minutes too long.

MISFITS!@!!!
Old 07.02.2007, 10:26 AM   #18
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
The only thing that holds me back from buying more Misfits is that I think it all starts to sound the same. And I didn't grow up with a connection to them, so that's probably why I'm not ate up about grabbing more of their stuff. But I do really like that Static Age LP.
Old 07.02.2007, 11:35 AM   #19
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I only have Static Age, which I like a lot.
same here

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2007, 12:12 PM   #20
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Static Age is great. "Some kInd of hate" "Last Caress" "Hybrid Moments" are stellar. Walk Among us is 2nd

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth