Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Will Mike Watt perform 'Providence' w/SY in LA?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.16.2007, 11:24 AM   #1
spudsilo
empty page

spudsilo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Provided Watt isn't on tour somewhere else in July, it could happen.
Old 03.16.2007, 11:28 AM   #2
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
But Mike Watt has nothing to do with that song's live performance, just the answering machine.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 11:35 AM   #3
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Why does everyone care so much whether Mike Watt is going to perform on the DDN shows? Is Sonic Youth not enough?????
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 11:36 AM   #4
spudsilo
empty page

Would it not be kool for him to 'perform' the answering machine part?
Old 03.16.2007, 11:38 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
No.
Old 03.16.2007, 11:38 AM   #6
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
No, it wouldn't be cool or not cool. Sonic Youth will probably just hook up that recording to something and have thurston do the piano with everyone else contributing with their share of noise.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 11:39 AM   #7
sarramkrop

They should wear some of the clothes that they used to wear at the time to give the gigs a more realistic effect.Perhaps losing a few pounds will also do the trick.Just imagine: ''Come and join the 'Sonic Youth Daydream Nation 3D Experience'! It's a blast!!!''.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 11:48 AM   #8
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
and all these posts kinda defining that the whole "Don't Look Back DDN" shows are really justifying that this is a gimmicky way for promoters and some other folks to make a little more money.

i say, "why live in the past, when you have the future."

and btw, "Providence" was always played live via a tape recording like "secret girls".

i wish this whole subject of "don't look back" (the only thing i can think of when i read that is that horrific song by that classic rock band, Boston) would just die.

geez its like, why don't we now discuss that maybe we can have a Minutemen reunion with Sonic Youth to play "starpower" and then after that have the Stooges get on stage and a have a three-band-way version of "I wanna be your dog" and then maybe Rhys Chatham and Glenn Branca can show up with all of them and then they all can perform Symphony # 100,000,000,000,000... and then we can have every popular musician on the planet show up they can all perform "We are the World"!
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 11:55 AM   #9
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
i wish this whole subject of "don't look back" (the only thing i can think of when i read that is that horrific song by that classic rock band, Boston) would just die.

Peter Tosh & Mick Jagger?
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 11:59 AM   #10
sonicl
invito al cielo

Calm down, Scott. Calm down.
Old 03.16.2007, 12:03 PM   #11
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Calm down, Scott. Calm down.

hehe i'm actually being abit sarcastic...
Old 03.16.2007, 12:04 PM   #12
sarramkrop

He has a point, though. When i bought a ticket for the first date i was really into the idea of seeing them play certain songs from that album that i've never seen them playing live, but now i think that the whole concept would probably ruin the way that i listen to it a little bit. A bit like when i went to see The Velvet Underground when they reformed and it put me off from listening to them for a while.Still, if that's what you have to do to please the fans these days, just get on with it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 12:04 PM   #13
sonicl
invito al cielo

Scott, you had me worried.
Old 03.16.2007, 12:04 PM   #14
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
They should wear some of the clothes that they used to wear at the time to give the gigs a more realistic effect.Perhaps losing a few pounds will also do the trick.Just imagine: ''Come and join the 'Sonic Youth Daydream Nation 3D Experience'! It's a blast!!!''.

I've been looking for Thurston's "LEO" t-shirt in thrift stores for years, with no such luck!
Old 03.16.2007, 12:07 PM   #15
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
He has a point, though. When i bought a ticket for the first date i was really into the idea of seeing them play certain songs from that album that i've never seen them playing live, but now i think that the whole concept would probably ruin the way that i listen to it a little bit. A bit like when i went to see The Velvet Underground when they reformed and it put me off from listening to them for a while.Still, if that's what you have to do to please the fans these days, just get on with it.

thats kinda my point, didn't the VU live reunion (that happened in the 90's right?) get recorded? i remember hearing a cd of it, i think its the one with title of Roman Numerics for the year of the recording and well i remember it having pure awful renditions of some of the great classic VU material and i'm glad i never actually bought that album because it would've at least slightly tarnished my listening experience of the original vital VU tracks. hopefully SY won't go down the same path!

anyways a whole tour of SY doing exclusively an older albums worth of material seems to be something that would be reserved for Dinosaur acts like the Rolling Stones and a few others that i don't dare to mention... and i would have always thought that SY would never fall into those trappings, because they are so atypical, or have been at least.
Old 03.16.2007, 12:13 PM   #16
sarramkrop

Well, i was really excited to go to see them as they were 'THE VELVET UNDERGROUND MAAAANNN!!!' till i was at the actual gig itself and it was like being in a stadium (which you would notice even from the dvd that has been put out of the performance in Paris).I mean, can you imagine a band like them in that sort of setting?I just thought to myself:'' Fuckit!! this is just some old farts trying hard on a stage''.I have no problem with old or young farts who sound right onstage but they looked and sounded ridiculous in that context.Went to very few reunion gigs after that.What's the point most of the time?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 12:20 PM   #17
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Well, i was really excited to go to see them as they were 'THE VELVET UNDERGROUND MAAAANNN!!!' till i was at the actual gig itself and it was like being in a stadium (which you would notice even from the dvd that has been put out of the performance in Paris).I mean, can you imagine a band like them in that sort of setting?I just thought to myself:'' Fuckit!! this is just some old farts trying hard on a stage''.I have no problem with old or young farts who sound right onstage but they looked and sounded ridiculous in that context.Went to very few reunion gigs after that.What's the point most of the time?

yeah, i opted to not go to either the Dinosaur Jr. or the Pixies reunion gigs, which to me for the price were not worth it.
Old 03.16.2007, 12:27 PM   #18
sarramkrop

It's strange because the Pixies reunion i didn't mind as much as they weren't a good live band even back in the day, at least to these ears.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 01:50 PM   #19
spudsilo
empty page

Jeez, whatta bunch of cynical killjoys.

It's not like SY have been broken up for years, and haven't made any decent music in decades. That's what makes this whole DDN thing special, to me anyway. They don't NEED to play those songs to draw a crowd.

Look, Mike Watt generally attends SY shows when they play here (I've seen him dozens of times), and it just occurred to me that it would be kinda neat if he joined them onstage for the occasion.

If it does happen, I'm sure everyone in attendance will dig it.
Old 03.16.2007, 02:50 PM   #20
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudsilo
Jeez, whatta bunch of cynical killjoys.

It's not like SY have been broken up for years, and haven't made any decent music in decades. That's what makes this whole DDN thing special, to me anyway. They don't NEED to play those songs to draw a crowd.

Look, Mike Watt generally attends SY shows when they play here (I've seen him dozens of times), and it just occurred to me that it would be kinda neat if he joined them onstage for the occasion.

If it does happen, I'm sure everyone in attendance will dig it.

Yeah you're completely right. I just think it will be cool to see my favourite album performed live. Its not like they're making too big a deal over this thing and its not like they are gonna tour round the world each year doing a different classic SY album. I don't really think SY could ever be accused of living in their past. Just take this for what it is, a celebration of the album that secured their legacy, a celebration of Daydream Nation's upcoming 20 year birthday.

I would love Mike Watt to perform Providence, just because it would be fun.

Oh and how cool would it be if they filmed one of the concerts and interweaved it with footage from that era, live shows, daydream music videos and stuck a documentary about the album on as well.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth