Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Will Mike Watt perform 'Providence' w/SY in LA?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.16.2007, 06:01 PM   #21
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Esthetically, I don't think it would sound right for a live person to replicate an answering machine message. Also, part of the beauty of that song is that the hiss and crackle of the answering machine tape sounded like a fire burning. Now, if Thurston had a real piano on stage and played it...wow!
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 06:08 PM   #22
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't that hiss and crackle the sound of an old amp dying? I'm sure I read somewhere that it is.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2007, 06:23 PM   #23
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Brett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's asses
why not just play the original album over the PA while the 4 of them sit in a hippy dippy circle on stage in front of 10,000 confused fans and pass a bowl around for 80 minutes?

these "play the whole album" shows would be way better if the bands were covering SOMEONE ELSE'S album.

Sonic Youth doing Melvins' HOUDINI and Melvins doing DAYDREAM... that'd be fun!

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03.17.2007, 12:31 AM   #24
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Oh and how cool would it be if they filmed one of the concerts and interweaved it with footage from that era, live shows, daydream music videos and stuck a documentary about the album on as well.

About as cool as it was having "Led Zeppelin" play "Stairway to Heaven" at Live-Aid with the rhythm section of Duran Duran. Which is to say, not very cool at all.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2007, 12:44 AM   #25
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the dinosaur reunion was great, really surprised the shit out of me. too bad now they are going to clunk a bunch of shit ass songs from their new album and take away from time from their set.

i mean, we are talking about sonic youth, the performances are no doubt going to be great, but i do find it pointless.

i would much rather see sy play a show with songs from across their whole career rather than focus on an old album.

besides, to everyone who is still super stoked on daydream: why the fuck do you keep buying their albums? you clearly wouldn't mind if the band broke up in 1990 so why even bother?

and re: the original thread theme: they can't perform it live, the background is a closely mic'ed, ultra distorted amp with a guitar turned down, they can approximate this sound but it's not the same. and can you imagine how stupid would it be for mike fucking watt to actually reenact a phone message he left for thurston almost 20 years ago that he never imagined would end up in a recording? "thurston, thurston".

all he would need is a mic fashioned out of a telephone like stevie wonder had when he performed "i just called to say i love you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Robinson
Sonic Youth doing Melvins' HOUDINI and Melvins doing DAYDREAM... that'd be fun!

i so second this

ps: boston were awesome, r.i.p. brad delp.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2007, 03:07 AM   #26
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

besides, to everyone who is still super stoked on daydream: why the fuck do you keep buying their albums? you clearly wouldn't mind if the band broke up in 1990 so why even bother?

That comment just has no basis in reality. You need to separate what you would like to believe from what is true. We simply want to hear some great music performed live. That's all there is to it. We love their new shit and will be very sad the day when their career ends.
Old 03.17.2007, 03:12 AM   #27
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Robinson
It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

So often you anti-capitalists forget one important thing: it wouldn't be about the $$$$$$ without the people supporting it. So, I suppose you have something against individual choice, or you're an elitist who thinks that other people can't possibly know what's good for them.

If you would find a Daydream Nation tour to be distasteful, then say so. But limit your comments to that. The rest of us can decide for ourselves what we want, thank you.
Old 03.17.2007, 03:56 PM   #28
michael-ebers
empty page

michael-ebers has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i just got me a ticket for the DAYDREAM NATION show in munich! canīt wait to see it
michael-ebers is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2007, 06:18 PM   #29
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
i am SO going to be at the LA show. i love old and new sonic, the totality, the immensity... i'm looking forward to it, and to seeing them in coming years doing their thing. i see no problem revisiting an older period. maybe mike watt should call from a phone in pedro. in his "watt from pedro show" they joked about building him a phone booth to have on stage for him.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2007, 11:39 PM   #30
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Why does everyone care so much whether Mike Watt is going to perform on the DDN shows? Is Sonic Youth not enough?????
Are you kidding me? That would be a fucking great little bonus. It happening at the LA gig really isn't THAT far of a stretch from happening.....they're all still friends and Watt would prob. have a blast doing it.

"Did you find your shit?"
Old 03.17.2007, 11:47 PM   #31
All Hail WATT
little trouble girl

All Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's asses
fuck, seeing WATT with sonic youth in itself would be a mindblast. who care about providence. and oh yeah, see DN alone is unreal. holding out for an NYC show...
All Hail WATT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 02:37 AM   #32
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
If it was EVOl being played, the Watt being involved would be cool. In reality, on DDN, it's Thurston's ansaphone that is performing, not Watt.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 03:00 AM   #33
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
So often you anti-capitalists forget one important thing: it wouldn't be about the $$$$$$ without the people supporting it. So, I suppose you have something against individual choice, or you're an elitist who thinks that other people can't possibly know what's good for them.

If you would find a Daydream Nation tour to be distasteful, then say so. But limit your comments to that. The rest of us can decide for ourselves what we want, thank you.

On the whole I agree, I love the Daydream Nation shows and I certainly do not think its about the $$$$$$. However most people usually do not know what is good for them. Why we let the majority of people vote is beyond me (Tabloid reading, Big Brother watching jackarses). Although I think letting the ordinary person choose which concert to go to is safe enough....just about...

Ignorance is bliss I suppose
Old 03.19.2007, 07:48 AM   #34
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
im amazed at folk calling barry hogan and all tomorrows parties people "cynical" i mean these guys should be applauded for their ability to put these artists (not just sy) in front of folk on what now appears to be a semi regular basis. barry hogan should be knighted.....

hopefully we may now get a full reproduction, be it live or on the ddn rerelease of providence, its about 15 minutes in total i believe!
Old 03.19.2007, 08:24 AM   #35
sarramkrop

If they were really going to do something about the album anniversary etc, it would have been 100 times more appealing if it was a one off and that was it.To play 5000 gigs of the same old album seems pretty much a tacky thing to do and it takes a lot off from what could have been a special occasion.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 02:48 PM   #37
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
i checked watt's page (http://www.hootpage.com/), and it doesn't seem he has any gigs planned for july, not yet at least. maybe he could tour w/ them... maybe he'll be in the audience and call thurston on a cell phone...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 11:52 AM   #38
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
aint watt a live stooge now. they must be touring with the wierdness all summer right?

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth