Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2015, 05:43 PM   #1301
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
@ Toilet & Bowels

listen to Shabazz Palaces.

I know them already and like them. But good choice.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2015, 06:58 AM   #1302
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
man pfork's review of FWA raises some interesting points...

Quote:
Listening to FWA—which is slight by design and not any kind of statement release—I kept thinking, "This is what listening to a new Dylan LP in the '80s must have felt like." You knew you were in the hands of a living great, and you could convince yourself a few songs every few years were worth saving. Across FWA's 15 tracks and laborious 65 minute runtime, I can salvage "Glory" and maybe "Without You", but I can’t help but feel like the guy cherry-picking songs from Knocked Out Loaded.
Old 07.09.2015, 11:36 AM   #1303
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Maybe its time the kiddies invent their OWN music?
Its kind of sad, that the 2000s might be the first generation in past hundred years that failed to invent their own genre of music or contribute their own unique subculture.

Did we adults fail them?

I think that we may have. Kids today had no real indie or punk inspiration like we did. and we, for our part, didn't go out and create anything revolutionary for them to glom on to. At least in '93 there was Nirvana, then after that was Portishead and Radiohead, plenty to get the juices flowing for creative kids. It's just that most of us just went out and made more of the same.

Also, I say electronic music has totally overturned rock, and electronic music is boring as fuck to younger adolescents who want their rage reflected back at them. We also had some really bad dub step that couldn't have helped matters.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2015, 11:42 AM   #1304
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Or maybe it's the opposite. While our generation went to great lengths to dig into what influenced Nirvana and Sebadoh and Pavement, this generation seems totally uninterested in the past. High school kids don't buy Butthole Surfers records anymore. Everything has to sound modern. So it's OF and Afrojack and Deadmaus.
Old 07.09.2015, 12:09 PM   #1305
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
when Madonna releases boring albums chock full of wack-ass EDM, you know the kids have moved on.

EDM is now for middle aged parents to go party on weekends.
Old 07.09.2015, 12:11 PM   #1306
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have been predicting the enxt big thing in youth music will be some sort of Latin/Tejano/narcocorrido mashup. It will scare white kid's parents (which white kids love) in a way that rap does not anymore. Hip Hop is the kid's parents music, and rock and roll is their grandparent's music now.
Old 07.09.2015, 03:08 PM   #1307
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Are kids today even aware of the whole thing of trying to scare/piss off parents with music? Personally as a kid I was never interested in doing that even though it was pretty easy to do so with a lot of the music I listed to.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2015, 03:40 PM   #1308
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Are kids today even aware of the whole thing of trying to scare/piss off parents with music? Personally as a kid I was never interested in doing that even though it was pretty easy to do so with a lot of the music I listed to.

I do not think it was ever done purposefully, but as a kid you KNOW instinctively when you hear/see/read/experience something that you like but that you know only you would like (as opposed to things you like and you think, "mom would dig this!"

kids rebel against their authority figures, or they follow their example. oftentimes it flips between the two. I just know that as a kid, when I liked something, and my parents then said they didn't like it, it made it all the more special, partly because it makes one feel big to make your own tastes, and to choose your own things, and partly because it makes it feel "special."
Old 07.09.2015, 03:43 PM   #1309
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I do not think it was ever done purposefully, but as a kid you KNOW instinctively when you hear/see/read/experience something that you like but that you know only you would like (as opposed to things you like and you think, "mom would dig this!"

kids rebel against their authority figures, or they follow their example. oftentimes it flips between the two. I just know that as a kid, when I liked something, and my parents then said they didn't like it, it made it all the more special, partly because it makes one feel big to make your own tastes, and to choose your own things, and partly because it makes it feel "special."

I remember my Dad bursting into the room, whilst I was listening to Liars' They were wrong... album, yelling to turn it down then him saying "it's not exactly music, is it?". The grin on my face after he left would've made a Cheshire cat look like it was pouting.

And of course kids are listening to stuff that piss off their parents. I suspect Skrillex has pissed off more than enough.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2015, 06:02 PM   #1310
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Or maybe it's the opposite. While our generation went to great lengths to dig into what influenced Nirvana and Sebadoh and Pavement, this generation seems totally uninterested in the past. High school kids don't buy Butthole Surfers records anymore. Everything has to sound modern. So it's OF and Afrojack and Deadmaus.

BLAMMO!!! CORRECTAMUNDO!!! its like most young people are just searching for some Nirvana or Beatles and laying the crown on top of any head. ignoring the past is dangerous. this is way records exist and why they teach history in schools.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2015, 06:07 PM   #1311
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
.And of course kids are listening to stuff that piss off their parents. I suspect Skrillex has pissed off more than enough.

yeah I imagine the chemical bros and prodigy did the same too. that was almost 20 years ago and that shit was kinda lame. it's dated pop music. that Shrillex shit is played in Mcdonalds and Coke commercials. i'll be dated bullshit soon too. at least to me. it's fucking corny!! have you heard late 90's hip hop lately? fuckin dated as shit. unless yr 90's retro ironic.

once it becomes ingrained in the masses minds it's already old. im pretty sure parents aren't fazed by shrillex now. they hear that shit in commercials when they are viewing The View. that sound will become dated soon,.... then retro cool, just like all those 80's synth sounds everyone and yr grandfather digs now.

what im saying is..........it doesn't fucking matter anyway. im old, you'll be old, and we can have a big 'ol granny fuckfest!!! load up on lube and bring yr friends. we'll jam to Hank Williams and Skrillex and have a good 'ol time
Old 07.09.2015, 07:17 PM   #1312
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

btw, I remember PE getting played on the radio. they def were played on daytime MTV. I remember that much. the "Night of the Living Baseheads" vid was seen by my little self at 9. along with the Cure's "Just Like Heaven".

PE is corny old noise to young people today. the key word is NOISE!!!! it's doesn't make it relevent, just annoying just like Hank Williams. as long as it annoys younger people, im fucking happy.
Old 07.09.2015, 07:39 PM   #1313
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
My dad listened to sonic youth and nirvana (and introduced me to sleater kinney and bikini kill) and my mom let me listen to NWA when i was 4 so i never got the joy of "pissing off my parents" with my music.. i had to resort to more aggressive measures..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2015, 07:43 PM   #1314
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

modern music only scares parents who don't work and stay at home and have too much time to think( about their mortality). or either they just have never got music in general. which is the majority of the world.
Old 07.09.2015, 07:46 PM   #1315
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
My pops listened to nirvana and sonic youth (and introduced me to Sleater-Kinney and bikini kill) and my mom let me listen to NWA when i was 4 so i never had the joy of "pissing off my parents" musically... i had to resort to more aggressive measures

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2015, 07:52 PM   #1316
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

some chick taught me to do the Roger Rabbit years ago. you best believe I can do it ace like. while listening to PE.

motherfucker!
Old 07.09.2015, 08:06 PM   #1317
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

Quote:
Eminem is still the most popular rapper out there. Drake and J. Cole outsold him too.

Em is white trash dumbass shit. huh huh, you just said pop.

im never ever going to be down with his shit. i'll suck Bono's dick before I give Em a chance.

it doesn't matter. he's an old fart now. blowing in the wind. like Eric Clapton.

im tired and bored. why do I waste my time on trivia shit like this? mainstream music has mostly been shit since the 70's. you can pick and choose and argue but most of you can agree.

the masses are asses. it's a universal and generational truth. goddamn!!! im sure Madonna pissed people off just like Black Flag in the 80's. one was mainstream and the other was not.

listen to what you want!!

also, louder and Rob are the only ones that make any sense here. why argue what is hip hop or not anymore. louder likes what he likes.
Old 07.09.2015, 09:41 PM   #1318
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

Quote:
rap used to be mostly protest music back then, talking about how poor and broke you are. and now it's evolved to the point where it's mostly about representing triumph as a result of overcoming adversity and struggle. and that's beautiful if you ask me.

great post!! couldn't agree with you more.

like it or not, louder nailed it.

Spread some rep for louder!!
Old 07.09.2015, 09:44 PM   #1319
Severian
invito al cielo

Loving the new GFK. It's a totally solid sequel. I always end up loving GFK records though. It plays like a classic Wu-Tang golden era solo joint more than any Wu album in recent memory. And the tracks with Lyrics Born and Chink XL are just weird! Good though.. Just unlike what one would expect to hear on a Ghostface record. It better than sour soul, and the instrumentals are totally on point. Adrian Young & Goblin > BBNG, in my opinion.
Old 07.09.2015, 09:51 PM   #1320
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
What's this? I've spent my entire life in the nation's most liberal areas. It's only made me realize how irritating liberals are. Why then does this mean that "there's more than a chance" that I "can't compete" with you and your opinions?

Did you get lost in your own use of positives and negatives, or was this just one of your deliberate attempts to not make any sense?

sorry man, I don't know where you're from. your not from the south, I do know that. in my world everyone is living in a hippy pad outside where im from. I need to 'get out there more'. it's a knee jerk reaction to everything else im not familiar with. it bleeds off yr post. defensive I know. i could help it, but i live in the most conservative place in the world. that's why!!!!! fucker!!

TRTD part II? checkin it asap!!!
56636465 66 67686976 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth