Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.10.2018, 07:57 PM   #5281
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
anyone know about any interesting pathographies?
I really liked Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy, Everywhere Antennas by Julie Delporte. Right now I am reading Sick: A Memoir by Porochista Khakpour, and I feel like I want to read MORE MORE MORE. So, can anyone recommend any? Preferably by women. I hate men so much. #sexism

/edit: oh and unrelated to that: I just finished reading Eleanor, or the Rejection of the Progress of Love by Anna Moshovakis. I really wanted to like it. But FUCK. What a pretentious pile of poo poo. I feel like the author thought her being elusive af and having the plot (if there was any!) unfold as slowly as possible would make her seem avant grade and cool? idk. Reading the book really annoyed me. I didn't get anything from reading it, except anger.
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2018, 08:09 PM   #5282
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Finished up Good Omens this weekend and started a quick romp through "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". After that I'm moving to "High Fidelity"
Old 12.11.2018, 07:24 AM   #5283
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Currently reading Anna Karenina by Tolstoy (he's an obscure writer you've probably never heard of *sips Starbucks coffee*)

Say what you want about Tolstoy, the son of a bitch knows story structure. Seriously though, such a great book. If I'm not listening to it at work I'm reading it at home and quickly get sucked into another world.

One minor criticism is that I HATE Tolstoy's romanticism of the life of a labourer. Something that can only be written by a rich aristocrat thinking things would be better if he had no money. Other than that I'm just loving the book.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2018, 08:08 AM   #5284
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
One minor criticism is that I HATE Tolstoy's romanticism of the life of a labourer. Something that can only be written by a rich aristocrat thinking things would be better if he had no money.
hahahahahahahahaha yeah! that is the achilles heel maybe.

***SPOILER WARNING***

though to be fair this is more about the aristocrat assuming his proper role as a steward of the land, as opposed to the parasitical gambler & serial philanderer that invited the revolution—not about being an actual mujik.

the real “no money” guy is his brother... you seen him by this point i assume?

but yeah, he was a bit of a conservative lol...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2018, 04:17 PM   #5285
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
The part where dude goes threshing with serfs is one of my favorite bits of literature ever. Is that the part you mean h8kurdt?

I see your point, but I see Tolstoy's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony
anyone know about any interesting pathographies?

Hm. BRIAN ON FIRE? Does that count?

I always thought you had excellent taste in literature Pony. Read any good novels/short story collections lately?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2018, 05:38 PM   #5286
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Hm. BRIAN ON FIRE? Does that count?

I always thought you had excellent taste in literature Pony. Read any good novels/short story collections lately?
Aaah, thanks! Hearing that makes me really happy

I have Brain on Fire sitting on my desk, but I was reluctant to read it, because somebody said it read like a scientific essay. They might have exaggerated, but I haven't looked into it after I was told that. Have you read it? What did you think?

Oh, I read GOOOOOD stuff in the last few months. But you gotta know, the person who finds the following books good is a depressed girl in her mid-twenties ;-) I will give you two each, for now.

SO! Short stories:
Her Body and other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado - weird and good. a lot of emphasis on the body and what they endure. violence!

Homesick for Another World by Ottessa Moshfegh - people just trying their best, man.

novels:

Eve Out Of Her Ruins by Ananda Devi - I picked this up while I was at Foyles in London (my new favourite book store!). I have NEVER heard of this author. Probably because she is not American/English and has (to my knowledge) not yet been translated into german. BUT! LET! ME! TELL! YOU!: I am so glad I bought the book. THIS IS SO BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN!! It's basically the story of the life of a bunch of kids in Mauritius. There is a shit ton of violence, but also a lot of love. The former really outweighs the latter, but in the end you're like "oh wow. yeah. this is a narrative of love", while basically EVERYONE IS BLEEDING TO DEATH AND LYING IN A POOL OF EVERYONE'S BLOOD.
(can you tell this book really excites/excited me?)

After Delores by Sarah Schulman - ok, so I read the author's non-fiction book "Conflict Is Not Abuse" (basically a book about how to be a normal human being) earlier this year, and I absolutely LOVED it. I didn't know she also wrote fiction, and After Delores made me want to read ALL her fiction. It's about the aftermath of a (lesbian) relationship, with the protagonist being really, and I mean REALLY(!), out of it, being between "BUT I LOVE HER!" and "I WANNA KILL HER / THIS OTHER PERSON/ OH AND THIS ONE / WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!". Beautiful depiction of a hurt brain and body post-love. Very relatable imho. But not boring. Cause, like, "other stuff" also happens. It's about people trying to get their shit together after it hit the fan and WHILE it is hitting the fan.
Old 12.12.2018, 10:47 AM   #5287
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Neat. Haven't heard of any of those.

I've never actually read Brain on Fire, although I remember a really good interview with the author on NPR. I was trying to be useful.

----

Currently reading EMMA. Over 200 years old!
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2018, 04:59 PM   #5288
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Currently enjoying Mordecai Richler's Barney's Version.
I overcame Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain. It took a while be was worth it.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2018, 06:21 PM   #5289
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Book 7 of The Expanse - Persepolis Rising
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2018, 12:06 PM   #5290
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hahahahahahahahaha yeah! that is the achilles heel maybe.

***SPOILER WARNING***

though to be fair this is more about the aristocrat assuming his proper role as a steward of the land, as opposed to the parasitical gambler & serial philanderer that invited the revolution—not about being an actual mujik.

the real “no money” guy is his brother... you seen him by this point i assume?

but yeah, he was a bit of a conservative lol...

Yeah, he's in now, however nothing much has happened with him as if yet. I'm actually surprised at how little Anna is actually in it.

Quote:
The part where dude goes threshing with serfs is one of my favorite bits of literature ever. Is that the part you mean h8kurdt?

I see your point, but I see Tolstoy's as well.

That bit was brilliant I'll say that. Don't know why they didn't just use a decent lawnmower instead of scything away like plebs. His general descriptions on how the labourers lived really does suck you in so well. I've actually no idea where it's gonna go.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2018, 04:54 PM   #5291
pony
the end of the ugly

I am only on page 50 now, but I need to PRAISE this book:

I never thought I'd enjoy historical fiction, but I am liking this a lot! Danielle Dutton & Margaret Canvendish FOR THE WIN!
Old 12.19.2018, 06:58 AM   #5292
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Capitalist Realism - Mark Fisher

Generally a fan of Mark Fisher's stuff. He takes a lot of his ideas from Slavoj Zizek but moves them in interesting directions. His anaysis of the education industry (because it is an industry) is spot on, as is his general critique of neoliberalism.

EDIT: Rereading it so I may have posted about it before.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2018, 12:14 AM   #5293
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

Old 12.21.2018, 07:52 AM   #5294
pony
the end of the ugly

this is the 100th book i am reading in 2018.

Old 12.21.2018, 09:04 AM   #5295
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Otare, by Mohammed Rabie....not my usual cup of mint tea, but extremely well written in parts...you need a strong constitution to read parts of it, though....speculative Egyptian fiction...parts relate to Arab Spring, parts are semi-historical, majority is just plain weird...can’t say it’s a recco, but there is enough there to be pretty mesmerizing
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2018, 09:13 AM   #5296
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony
this is the 100th book i am reading in 2018.

I'm sitting at 27 in 2018, and hopefully get to at least 28 or 29 by year end. Would be nice to get an even 30, but I think that's going to be pushing it at this point.
Old 12.21.2018, 09:27 AM   #5297
pony
the end of the ugly

my goal was 30. once i reached 30, it was 60. when I reached 60 things got out of hand. haha.
Old 12.21.2018, 09:43 AM   #5298
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

I guess one detail is were they big books or were they proverbial quickies that still count as a book. Not trying to discount by any means, because a book is a book.
Old 12.21.2018, 11:09 AM   #5299
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
I guess one detail is were they big books
fuck, i just realized i forgot about moby dick!

never managed to get off land actually

TOO MANY FUCKING PROJECTS

i need to cut downnnnnnnnn...
Old 12.21.2018, 02:13 PM   #5300
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Can't say Moby Dick is one on my to-read list, and I don't plan to add it right now either.
215255262263264 265 266267268275 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth